PDA

View Full Version : The Face of the Ripper

admin tim
November 21st, 2006, 02:15 PM
Yes, I know this has already appeared on Casebook, but it is featured in today's USAToday, and so here we are.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/2006-11-21-ripper-face_x.htm

http://images.usatoday.com/tech/_photos/2006/11/21/ripper.jpg (http://javascript<b></b>:;)http://images.usatoday.com/_common/_images/clear.gifhttp://images.usatoday.com/_common/_images/_inside/enlarge.gif (http://javascript<b></b>:;) Enlarge (http://javascript<b></b>:;)Channel 5 Broadcasting via APhttp://images.usatoday.com/_common/_images/clear.gifThis image, using state of the art profiling, creates what may be the face of 19th century serial killer "Jack the Ripper." British analysts using witness statements created the composite police drawing.

LONDON — British analysts have created a composite police drawing of Jack the Ripper, depicting the notorious Victorian serial killer with a mustache, a receding hairline and bushy eyebrows, the makers of a new television documentary said Monday.

Using the 118-year-old statements of 13 witnesses, a Metropolitan Police analyst created an image of what the prostitute-killer is believed to have looked like. The killer's image was to be unveiled Tuesday on the British television channel Five.

"It's a popular misconception that nobody ever saw the murderer, that he just vanished into the fog of London," said former Metropolitan Police commander John Grieve in a statement. "Well that's just not right. There were witnesses at the time who were highly thought of by the police."

Grieve examined the witnesses' statements and found enough similarity to think they could have been talking about the same man. The computer drawing of the murderer's face was created from the descriptions. The newest investigators believe the murderer was between 25 and 35 years old and between 5-foot-5-inches and 5-foot-7-inches tall.

Jack the Ripper remains infamous, in part because his identity was never unmasked. More than 200 people have been accused of the murders of at least five East London prostitutes in 1888. The suspects have ranged from Alice in Wonderland author Lewis Carroll to Sir John Williams, the royal family's obstetrician, to painter William Richard Sickert.

Looks Hispanic to me; maybe it's the moustache. But it sure don't resemble D'Onston very much. What do you think?

And John Grieve - he is the same numbskull that was so smitten with Patricia Cornwell, so you know what his opinion here is worth.

Dan Norder
November 21st, 2006, 02:44 PM
Using the 118-year-old statements of 13 witnesses, a Metropolitan Police analyst created an image of what the prostitute-killer is believed to have looked like.

13 witnesses?!?! Is he talking something he saw in a movie version, or where does this even come from?

"It's a popular misconception that nobody ever saw the murderer, that he just vanished into the fog of London," said former Metropolitan Police commander John Grieve in a statement. "Well that's just not right. There were witnesses at the time who were highly thought of by the police."

Funny, as several police officials said straight out that nobody ever saw the killer, and the only one for which we know for a fact that they were still trying to use to identify suspects was Lawende (though whether he was Anderson's witness on the alleged Mad Polish Jew identification is unknown), and he had said straight out that he didn't get a good enough look at the person he saw to be able to identify him later.

And even if all of those alleged witnesses did see the killer, e-fit composites don't work with someone reading other people's ambiguous statements and trying to fake an image together. The whole point is that the supposed witness is supposed to look at the image and make suggestions on how to make it look like what they remember seeing.

Looks like Patricia Cornwell doesn't have a monopoly on oversensationalistic crap masquerading as science.

Debbie D
November 21st, 2006, 02:55 PM
And even if all of those alleged witnesses did see the killer, e-fit composites don't work with someone reading other people's ambiguous statements and trying to fake an image together. The whole point is that the supposed witness is supposed to look at the image and make suggestions on how to make it look like what they remember seeing.

Seeing as how they're all dead now, they had to work with what they had which were a few old statements. I don't think they meant it to be an "exact science" in this particular situation.;)

Debbie D
November 21st, 2006, 03:06 PM
Looks Hispanic to me; maybe it's the moustache. But it sure don't resemble D'Onston very much. What do you think?

He does look Hispanic but I think that would have been mentioned by the witnesses. :confused:

It kind of makes me think of Chapman with a trimmed moustache and slick hair.:smoker:

Chris G.
November 21st, 2006, 03:22 PM
http://jam.canoe.ca/Television/2006/11/20/e112094A.jpg

http://www.radio-orla.com/en/images/stories/George_chapman_Klosowski.jpg

Snap? Severin Klosowski alias George Chapman, born in Nargoniak, occupied Poland in 1865, failed to qualify as a doctor in his home country and became a London barber. He was found guilty of poisoning three women and hanged on April 7, 1903. Usually considered an also ran as a suspect, he was in the East End at the time of the Whitechapel murders.

Chris

Robert Linford
November 21st, 2006, 03:26 PM
Chris, that sketch bears an unnerving resemblance to Kenneth Williams with a false moustache.

Robert

Dan Norder
November 21st, 2006, 04:54 PM
Seeing as how they're all dead now, they had to work with what they had which were a few old statements. I don't think they meant it to be an "exact science" in this particular situation.;)

I realize they couldn't make an exact science out of it, but from the things they are quoted as saying it sounds like they are pretending that it is. I'd chalk it up to journalistic error, but it's clear that most of these reports are going staight from a press release of some sort, and the "experts" are being directly quoted as saying things that are just nonsense.

Dan Norder
November 21st, 2006, 05:31 PM
With apologies to Howard...

...and myself...

..and to the stars of The Brady Bunch...

Chris G.
November 21st, 2006, 06:56 PM
With apologies to Howard...

...and myself...

..and to the stars of The Brady Bunch...

Ha, ha, I love it, Dan! Thanks.

Of course you are correct that there is no "exact science" in what Scotland Yard has done to contribute to tonight's documentary. Although once again the public is hoodwinked into thinking there is some sort of expertise in coming up with that moustachioed visage that quite possibly looked nothing like the murderer of 1888.

Chris

Debbie D
November 22nd, 2006, 04:41 AM
Dan has presented some very convincing evidence in his picture comparisons... but there is one last possibility.:p

Howard Brown
November 22nd, 2006, 06:48 AM
Gang:

Dan...I actually look more like that guy on my old cab driver license. Its here somewhere...and I'll show you.

Howard Brown
November 22nd, 2006, 06:51 AM
Using the 118-year-old statements of 13 witnesses, a Metropolitan Police analyst created an image of what the prostitute-killer is believed to have looked like. --John Grieve

This is the same guy who said that the Ripper was probably someone like Kosminski....and then after meeting Cornwell,became her advisor....and now this. Just keep him away from the anagrams,please.

Debbie D
November 22nd, 2006, 04:50 PM
I feel silly now...
I just visited casebook and saw this same sketch that I said looked like Chapman. Guess I wasn't the only one who thought that!:o

HOward was a cab driver???:eek:

admin tim
November 22nd, 2006, 05:15 PM
Yup, Debbie D., Howard used to be a hack driver, all right. :eek:

But now he is just a hack writer. ;)

And his first wife was a taxi dancer. :p

He gave up being a cabbie when he converted from Islam. :guns:

Howard Brown
November 22nd, 2006, 08:57 PM
Tool of Zionists & Western Imps Mosley:

Be prepared the next time you go to my cousin's franchise of the 7-11 in your neighborhood for a sloppy,snot filled Slurpee. Hassin Bin Soba,son of my Uncle,Neva Bin Soba, has been appraised of this slight on the Soba name. Die the slow death of the flea infested camel...may a scarab beetle enter your ear and deposit a thousand eggs...infidel.:rolleyes:

Yes Debbie...I used to be a cab driver at nights.

Night Stalker
November 23rd, 2006, 07:46 AM
Dear all :

According to the photo fit, JTR is none other than - Sir Edward Elgar 1857-1934.

On the back of the current, Bank of England 20.00 note, is his portrait. The likeness is uncanny.:thumbsupbud:

rgds N.S.

Magpie
November 23rd, 2006, 08:42 AM
Tool of Zionists & Western Imps Mosley:

The idea of someone named Mosley being a Zionist Tool gave me a nice ironic chuckle to start my day. Thanks How! :thumbsupbud:

Howard Brown
November 23rd, 2006, 09:31 PM
Magpie:

I dig,I dig...

Oswald;)

Howard Brown
November 26th, 2006, 02:33 PM
Magpie:

Here's that hack operator license from 1984 I mentioned...

Robert Linford
November 26th, 2006, 02:39 PM
Look at that viciously sloping signature.:eek: What will Ms Dresbold have to say about that?!

Howard Brown
November 26th, 2006, 02:42 PM
Uh oh....the jigs up !:rolleyes:

Umm..err..Oh,I remember...I asked someone to sign it for me. Thats right...now I remember.

Chris G.
November 26th, 2006, 09:13 PM
Look at that viciously sloping signature.:eek: What will Ms Dresbold have to say about that?!

Yes you'd better watch out, Howie, they'll be coming to take you away. ;)

admin tim
November 26th, 2006, 10:18 PM
How about this one?

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m87/jtrforums/dahmer.jpg

Separated at birth, maybe?

Howard Brown
November 26th, 2006, 11:19 PM
Timmers:

You ain't gonna believe this,but my immediate supervisor at work looks a lot like Dahmer. We used to rib him and call him "Jeff" but he got pissed and ate a couple of colored workers. We're loaded with Laotian men and women...just the type Dahmer was known to dine on. Me? I like Bulgarian women...

We now call him by his Christian name.

Debbie D
November 27th, 2006, 12:46 AM
Magpie:

Here's that hack operator license from 1984 I mentioned...

It does resemble you... and several others. While it is fun to see the sketch since it is JtR related, it is very vague and looks like many Tom, Dick, and Harrys that are out there.:rolleyes:

Howard Brown
November 27th, 2006, 12:53 AM
Yeah....but Debbie...ahem...uhmmm...ehhh....I am the Ripper !

One of the Tom,Dick,and Howies...;)

Vila
November 27th, 2006, 04:16 PM
My first thoughts upon seeing that composite sketch were "where did they dig up that old mug-shot of Freddy Mercury? And what did he get arrested for?"

Does this mean that JTR was an ancestor of the lead singer for Queen?

Vila

admin tim
November 28th, 2006, 01:38 PM
Uncanny similarity. He may not have driven a cab, but he was a different kind of hack. ;)