X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Matt Leyshon
    • May 2017

(Con)Census - Aldgate High Street

Hi Guys,

I was looking at maps of the area near Mitre Square, namely Aldgate High Street at St Botolph's Church and The Minories.

I was wondering what was at this intersection opposite St Boltolph's? I believe the numbers are 75 and 76-77. If anybody has any knowledge of what was there, if anything in particular, as always, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
  • Rob Clack
    Author/Researcher
    • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Matt Leyshon
    Hi Guys,

I was looking at maps of the area near Mitre Square, namely Aldgate High Street at St Botolph's Church and The Minories.

I was wondering what was at this intersection opposite St Boltolph's? I believe the numbers are 75 and 76-77. If anybody has any knowledge of what was there, if anything in particular, as always, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Here you go, this is from the 1889 Directory.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Aldgate High Street 1889.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	558100

Rob

Comment

• Howard Brown
      Registrar
      • Jul 2003

Thank you, Senor.

Comment

• Matt Leyshon
        • May 2017

Awesome

Thanks Rob. Much appreciated

Comment

• Matt Leyshon
          • May 2017

UPdate

I also received this from a very good source (Geoff Cooper for those who may know him). He has been a great help for the finishing touches for my book:

The owner of number 76 was Thompson in the Land Tax assessment for 1888-9.

Trespole Henry Myers was the tenant in 1888. Listed in the Post Office Directories, 1888-1891, as Trespole Henry Myers, dining rooms. Between 20 June and 3 December 1890 he was succeeded as tenant by Joseph Weil [poor rate assessments]. Weil remained the tenant until his death, 24 September 1911, after which he was described as a hotel proprietor, late of 11 Finsbury Park Road and Aldgate Hotel, 76 and 77 High Street, Aldgate [London Gazette, 15 December 1911 and 11 March 1921].

At the date of the 1891 census Joseph Weil, hotel proprietor, was living at this address with his family, servants, employees and boarders. Among the servants was Trespole H. Myers, hotel and restaurant manager, employed. In 1901 Joseph Weil, hotel proprietor, was still living there, with his son Sam described as hotel manager.

I thanked Geoff already via email but will express my gratitude here if he is on these boards.

Comment

Working...