Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > Ripper Media > Ripper Books > Ripper Non-fiction

Old March 18th, 2010, 05:44 AM   #51
Mr. Poster
Twit

What amazes me about Walter is that he flings his sausage pretty much anywhere he can, most of the time without wearing a raincoat, and he doesnt appear to have caught syphylis or anything at all.

Despite his descriptions of some of the gardens into which he flung his sausage indicating that they may have been both overgrown and in dire need of good dose of persticide.

He must have had the constitution (and immune system) of a horse.

p
"Chance hasn't yet peached on Jack the Ripper.If she ever does, it will probably be cause for grotesque disappointment among the Ripperologists, who get as much joy from attacking one another's lunacies, as from any problems originally posed by the Whitechapel murderer" R. Gowers, The Independant, Saturday, 31 December 1994
Mr. Poster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2010, 11:28 AM   #52
SirRobertAnderson
Researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Poster View Post
What amazes me about Walter is that he flings his sausage pretty much anywhere he can, most of the time without wearing a raincoat, and he doesnt appear to have caught syphylis or anything at all.
Actually, he did have something nasty that required his urethra to be mechanically roto-rootered periodically with that bougie thingy Nemo likes.
SirRobertAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2010, 12:56 PM   #53
David Monaghan
Former Member

Default Walter & the clap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Poster View Post
Despite his descriptions of some of the gardens into which he flung his sausage indicating that they may have been both overgrown and in dire need of good dose of persticide. He must have had the constitution (and immune system) of a horse.

p
While I do like a good bit of gardening, our friend Walter did sully his sausage quie considerably. In fact, the symptoms he shows late in life - memory blackouts, blindness during sex - may show syphillis was kicking in. From My Secret Life we know that Walter regularly suffered
from diseases that he caught from prostitutes. He had his penis pierced with a metal rod to cure his first dose of venereal disease, which he got from a prostitute as a teenager. (ouch!!)
‘My clap brought on a stricture,’ he wrote, ‘obliging me to
have a bougie passed every other day to stretch the pipe often,
and causing me to piss clots of gruelly blood, about an hour
afterwards. I dared not ****, but once frigged, and it brought
on the inflammatory stage again. At length I got better,
but with a gleet which wetted the tail of my shirt through
daily . . . ’
Walter details using a condom in later life to avoid his recurrent sex diseases. He reports a bout at around the time he describes an affair with Mary Davis, the married name of Mary Jane Kelly.
The idea the Ripper killings were linked to revenge for a dose of the clap was prevalent at the time. The East London Observer, 13 October 1888, aired the suspect of a professional: ‘a well-known
medical man in east London has communicated information regarding a
former assistant of his, who, he is equally convinced, is the man needed.
He spent all his money amongst loose women in Whitechapel, and eventually contracted a disease, which utterly ruined his prospects and sent
him mad. Ever since that time he has cherished the most intense hatred
of these women, and has repeatedly declared his intention of revenging
himself upon them.’ Walter fits the bill with lost money, Whitechapel
women, sex disease and hatred (‘Ten years ago, I would have f--ked
each of them twice. I am paying penalty today . . . how unfit I feel, (I)
almost hate c--t.’ write Walter in MSL, Vol. 9, Chapter 12).
The connection between getting the clap, and committing murder may not necessary be about revenge.
In the tertiary stages some sex disease may cause mental disorder leading to violence. In particular, herpes simplex encephalitis, may cause damage to frontal lobes leading to aggression. see Simon, Robert I. and Tardiff, Kenneth. Textbook of Violence Assessment and Management (American Psychiatric Publishing, 2008: p. 39).

Regards

David Monaghan
author
Jack the Ripper's Secret Confession
Old March 18th, 2010, 02:48 PM   #54
David Monaghan
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by How Brown View Post
I received mine in the mail yesterday (Thanks to Mr. Monahan).I'm off to read it tonight.
Dear How,
sweet dreams after reading of Walter's darkness.
Looking forward to your thoughts as a researcher I much admire
regs

David Monaghan
Author
Old March 18th, 2010, 03:01 PM   #55
David Monaghan
Former Member

Default Torso Murders

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirRobertAnderson View Post

I was surprised to see that Walter believed he knew one of the Torso victims.

Dave, I wonder if you gave any thought to Walter being Torso Dude instead of JtR ?
A fair questions I have gone all lumper and pumped for the Torso Murders being a continuation of the Whitechapel series. I got a lot of reasons. I am mad enough t have looked at all reported throat cut murders in the prior 40 years, and following 20 after the ripper crimes. Despite what is believed, these types of killings - women with cut throats or mutilations, publically dumped - were very very rare indeed. The chances that the torso killings, which overlapped with the canonical Whitechapel set, were two madmen roaming this very small area, rather than one, is just vanishingly small. There were more cut up knifed females found dumped in East London those three years 1888-1891 than there had ben in all of England in the previous 25 years.
The Torso Murders are incredibly significant to my mind, and the fact MacNuaghten dismisses them makes me want to study them all the more.

David Monaghan
Author
Old March 18th, 2010, 04:59 PM   #56
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Dear David:

I skimmed through the book today at work ( thats not how I will read it, but I was looking for a few things) and thought this following idea might work.

I'm not quite sure where to place the thread...but I intend to hit the newspapers tonight and bring up stories from decades prior to the Whitechapel Murders in regard to the disgraceful practice of pederasty.

I'll entitle it Dark Britain and if some of you feel it would be best to put in the Members Only section, by all means let me know. Its not a pleasant subject...but since your book is attracting attention, I thought it might be worthwhile to explore that practice, which I for one had no idea was that prevalent.

Thanks for the kind words.

How
Old March 18th, 2010, 06:44 PM   #57
Tom_Wescott
Researcher and Award Winning Author

Hello all. Of all the recent Ripper books, 'Secret Confession' is the one I most heartily recommend, because the theory that a habitual prostitute user might have been the Ripper is obviously a good one. Whether or not you buy Walter as the Ripper, you'll learn some stuff reading this book, and what more can you ask for. I understand that the author is hot on the trail of a new Walter suspect, so that will be exciting to learn more about.
Tom_Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2010, 02:42 AM   #58
Mr. Poster
Twit

Hi ho

It is indeed a "fact" that he got his chimney swept.....but for a man who was rogering every skank in England and enjoying apparently very sloppy seconds....his venereal afflictions are not what one would expect to be reasonable. Not so much as a louse, pussy discharge, burning on peeing, weeping chancre, genital wart, lip sores, crustiness,......nothing.

Indeed.....what bothers me most is that his description of his treatment is (once again) a description of something likely to shock...as opposed to the infinitely mundane and not at all shocking application of unguents and noxious lotions most common at the time.

p
"Chance hasn't yet peached on Jack the Ripper.If she ever does, it will probably be cause for grotesque disappointment among the Ripperologists, who get as much joy from attacking one another's lunacies, as from any problems originally posed by the Whitechapel murderer" R. Gowers, The Independant, Saturday, 31 December 1994
Mr. Poster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2010, 12:28 PM   #59
SirRobertAnderson
Researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Monaghan View Post
Despite what is believed, these types of killings - women with cut throats or mutilations, publically dumped - were very very rare indeed. The chances that the torso killings, which overlapped with the canonical Whitechapel set, were two madmen roaming this very small area, rather than one, is just vanishingly small. There were more cut up knifed females found dumped in East London those three years 1888-1891 than there had ben in all of England in the previous 25 years.
First off, let me congratulate you on a tremendous piece of research. I posted earlier that I thought it was one of the best JtR books in recent years. (This despite my having to buy my OWN copy, instead of getting a freebie as you pander to How, who will only read the quotes from Walter anyway.)

You raise a very valid point. A.P. has done some fine work here discussing the high levels of violence against women in the East End, but violence, even murder is one thing, yet throat slashing, mutilation and dismemberment another matter altogether.

These crimes - the Ripper murders and the Torsos - were different.

BTW, I would suggest you go back and read some of our recent Torso threads. Debs, Nats and A.P. did a terrific amount of work, and one of the things that popped out was that the author of some of the Ripper letters seems to have been very aware that a competitor (the Torso Dude) was working his turf.
SirRobertAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2010, 01:02 PM   #60
Caroline Morris
Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Monaghan View Post
...I am mad enough t have looked at all reported throat cut murders in the prior 40 years, and following 20 after the ripper crimes. Despite what is believed, these types of killings - women with cut throats or mutilations, publically dumped - were very very rare indeed...
Hi David,

Rest assured 'tis a belief thrust upon us in recent times, almost always by those with a theory to flog that first compels 'em to reduce the ripper's tally to below serial killer level.

I have always said, and will always maintain, that if the public, the press and the police of the day were in no doubt that something horrific and quite exceptional was going on in that East End pit of exceptional grime and criminality, that has to mean something.

I'm still waiting for all the examples of remotely comparable unsolved male-on-female butchery that some routinely claim to have found in abundance in the years before 1888 and after 1891.

Love,

Caz
X