Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > Suspects and Theories > Contemporary Theories

Contemporary Theories Thoughts and Opinions from the LVP

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 29th, 2016, 06:56 PM   #1
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 67,298
Default Reference To An Irish Faction Involved In The Crimes

First time I've seen it mentioned this directly in print.

Yorkshire Gazette
November 17, 1888
*****************
__________________
To Join JTR Forums...contact :
howard@jtrforums.com
Howard Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2016, 02:38 AM   #2
Lynn Cates
Researcher & Author
 
Lynn Cates's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 7,031
Default points

Hello Howard. Thanks for posting this. Very interesting.

A few points if I may:

1. The Fenians were ALL but defunct by 1888--"Irish faction" is better.

2. The idea IS absurd IF it is intended to cover ALL the "Whitechapel Murders." Better to relegate the theory ONLY to "MJK."

3. I suppose the main thing is that several detectives saw a connection, and THAT after "MJK's" killing.

4. The theory could be either affirmed or put to rest for good IF we could ever ascertain "MJK's" TRUE identity.

Cheers.
LC
Lynn Cates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2016, 05:31 AM   #3
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 67,298
Default

Thanks Lynn...I'm changing the thread title accordingly.
__________________
To Join JTR Forums...contact :
howard@jtrforums.com
Howard Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2016, 12:58 PM   #4
San Fran
Registered User
 
San Fran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 233
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Cates View Post
2. The idea IS absurd IF it is intended to cover ALL the "Whitechapel Murders." Better to relegate the theory ONLY to "MJK."

4. The theory could be either affirmed or put to rest for good IF we could ever ascertain "MJK's" TRUE identity.
Worth repeating. The majority rules in calling it absurd with only grudging benefit of doubt given on account of MJK.
San Fran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2016, 01:09 PM   #5
Trevor Marriott
Author & Researcher
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,756
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Cates View Post
Hello Howard. Thanks for posting this. Very interesting.

A few points if I may:

1. The Fenians were ALL but defunct by 1888--"Irish faction" is better.

2. The idea IS absurd IF it is intended to cover ALL the "Whitechapel Murders." Better to relegate the theory ONLY to "MJK."

3. I suppose the main thing is that several detectives saw a connection, and THAT after "MJK's" killing.

4. The theory could be either affirmed or put to rest for good IF we could ever ascertain "MJK's" TRUE identity.

Cheers.
LC
MEPO/18/1 crime record book, original file numbered 93867.

“Whitechapel Murders suggested complicity of Irish Party.”

www.trevormarriott.co.uk
Trevor Marriott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2016, 03:31 PM   #6
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 67,298
Default

Thanks for that reference, Trevor.
I ought to know, but is that in SPE's 'Ultimate Sourcebook' ?

There were Irish police in Miller's Court after MJK's death.
__________________
To Join JTR Forums...contact :
howard@jtrforums.com
Howard Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2016, 03:50 PM   #7
Jerry Dunlop
Information Extractor
 
Jerry Dunlop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Posts: 998
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Brown View Post
Thanks for that reference, Trevor.
I ought to know, but is that in SPE's 'Ultimate Sourcebook' ?

There were Irish police in Miller's Court after MJK's death.
Along with a prominent Post Office official and some members of Parliament.

Daily News
United Kingdom
13 November 1888
Jerry Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2016, 04:09 PM   #8
Sam Flynn
Owl Catcher
 
Sam Flynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Wales
Posts: 2,029
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Dunlop View Post
Along with a prominent Post Office official and some members of Parliament.
Indeed; I suspect that quite a few of them used their influence merely to satisfy a morbid curiosity. Not for nothing was this a golden age for slum tourism and freak shows.
__________________
Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen"
(F. Nietzsche)

Sam Flynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2016, 04:14 PM   #9
Jerry Dunlop
Information Extractor
 
Jerry Dunlop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Posts: 998
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
Indeed; I suspect that quite a few of them used their influence merely to satisfy a morbid curiosity. Not for nothing was this a golden age for slum tourism and freak shows.
The RIC and PO official I can see were possibly there to trace the backstory of Mary's Irish back-round and supposed letters from her mother. The MP's are kind of an odd addition to the scene.
Jerry Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2016, 04:16 PM   #10
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 67,298
Default

Thanks JD...

On the right hand side =

__________________
To Join JTR Forums...contact :
howard@jtrforums.com
Howard Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10 Beta 2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright @ Howard & Nina Brown 2015-2022