Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > Ripper & Other Crime Media Forum > Ripper Books > Ripper Non-fiction

Old December 31st, 2016, 10:27 AM   #11
Monty
Author, Researcher, God.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debra Arif View Post
Does anyone know who the two detectives who spoke up for Bachert's character in the Dec 1889 coining charges (later dropped against Bachert) were? They claimed he 'bore the highest possible character that a man could bear.'
I've seen David Flahertys work in this, but not the quote. This a newspaper quote Debs?

Monty
😊

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Co-Author of Sir Howard Vincent's Police Code 1889

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Howard-Vince.../dp/0993180604
Monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2016, 01:39 PM   #12
Debra Arif
Sausage brain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
I've seen David Flahertys work in this, but not the quote. This a newspaper quote Debs?

Monty
😊
Neil, Yes it's from an evening newspaper report of the charges brought against Bachert and others for coining in Dec 1889, also for stealing a tankard. There were four men facing charges and those against Bachert and another were dropped. He reportedly brought in two detectives as character witnesses and this is what they said of him.
Debra Arif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2016, 03:21 PM   #13
Monty
Author, Researcher, God.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debra Arif View Post
Neil, Yes it's from an evening newspaper report of the charges brought against Bachert and others for coining in Dec 1889, also for stealing a tankard. There were four men facing charges and those against Bachert and another were dropped. He reportedly brought in two detectives as character witnesses and this is what they said of him.
Thanks Debs

Monty
🙂

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Co-Author of Sir Howard Vincent's Police Code 1889

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Howard-Vince.../dp/0993180604
Monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2016, 07:59 PM   #14
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

This article mentions the Inspector who felt he was innocent.
The article also states his age ( in 1889 ) being 21. It should read 29.

Essex County Chronicle
Chelmsford, England
December 6, 1889

Old December 31st, 2016, 08:05 PM   #15
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

I just noticed the last sentence of the article....

Old January 1st, 2017, 05:35 AM   #16
Debra Arif
Sausage brain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Brown View Post
I just noticed the last sentence of the article....

Thanks How. Stealing the Pewter pot was the other charge they appeared next day for.
Btw, Albert was born in 1862 after a brother of a similar name died in 1861 (it's the dead brother who appears on the 1861 census, not Albert). Albert would have been about 27 in 1889 but liked to shave the years off. His own father was said to have looked 10 years younger than his age of 54 in 1887 so maybe Albert was the same.
Old January 1st, 2017, 07:19 AM   #17
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Debs:

Thanks for that !
XXXX

The decision to bestow a child with the same name another one had already been given but had died seems to have been more common than I thought.
Old January 1st, 2017, 02:55 PM   #18
Tom_Wescott
Researcher and Award Winning Author

Debs, I always viewed Bachert as a bit of comedy relief within the greater Ripper saga. The constant misspelling of his name and the ludicrous claims he would pop up with were always good for a laugh. I approached him as a suspect first as a bit of a joke. I was fed up with people on the boards telling me they didn't think the Ripper killed Stride, but NONE of them could offer a viable alternative suspect. So I wrote an article called Rogues Gallery in which I looked at a number of different non-Ripper potential suspects. I noticed my section on Bachert growing and growing and decided that had to be an article all its own. While writing it I was struck with the fact that the idea of Bachert as murderer wasn't exactly ludicrous. Then after publication new discoveries continued to be made and I was struck especially by the proximity of Malvina Haynes's attack to Bachert's address. That's probably the single hardest thing for me to shake. Do I think Bachert was the Ripper? No, I really don't. But he's not a ludicrous suspect by any stretch and is probably more viable than Lechmere and many others I see put forth.

Mick is a Ripper tour guide, so as you can imagine he's a bit of a geography nut - something neither you or I are. But because of this special knowledge Mick has he's able to draw many connections that I could not.

You'll also remember that one of the police detectives in an 1889 interview talked about following a suspect who said he was part of the Vigilance Committee. It couldn't have been Bachert, because the suspect was said to have had a child, a wife, and a shop, but Bachert's VC was comprised, it appears, mostly of his friends, so whose to say that via this unnamed suspect, Bachert wasn't also involved?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
Tom_Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2017, 04:44 PM   #19
Debra Arif
Sausage brain

Thanks Tom.
I'm wondering if Mick managed to find what happened to Bachert eventually? No one else has been able to find anything related to him after the 1911 census when he shaved years off his age and Chris Scott found him living with his sister and her family.

Bachert had some things in common with Grande I seem to remember?. Both took situations in the news and used them to taunt police. I'm thinking of the times in 1887 when both men independently complained about the conduct of a PC towards themselves and a woman the PC in both cases had assumed was a prostitute-all done and publicised in the aftermath of the Miss Cass inquiry.

I'm surprised Bachert doesn't appear in some Thames Magistrate Court memoirs somewhere-he was there almost on a monthly basis complaining about one thing or another. He was also on the take most of the time, despite his protests to the contrary every time he was caught.

He's certainly an interesting chap and I still think he may have had mental health issues myself.
Old January 1st, 2017, 04:50 PM   #20
Phillip Walton
Researcher

I know both of the pubs mentioned in the article. The Cherry Tree is still a pub but not the same building, being replaced by a new pub on the same site c. 1930. I'm not sure now about the Ship and Shovel, it was still there in the 1970's but may have closed since.
Phillip Walton is offline   Reply With Quote