X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Emanuele Cianto
    • Aug 2015

About Francis Thompson

Hi all,

This is from Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Francis Thompson by Richard Patterson:

[Thompson, who was predominately left handed, wrote a short story, in 1889, his only one.]

Wasn't the Ripper right hender? Or was he ambidextrous like Thompson?....
    Thank you.

Yours respectfully,
    Emanuele
  • Howard Brown
    Registrar
    • Jul 2003

If Thompson could use either hand, then if the Ripper was left handed, he would fit. Likewise, if the Ripper was a right hander, it would fit.
    In Thompson's case, since he was ambidextrous...his handedness means nothing.

Comment

• Emanuele Cianto
      • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Howard Brown
      If Thompson could use either hand, then if the Ripper was left handed, he would fit. Likewise, if the Ripper was a right hander, it would fit.
      In Thompson's case, since he was ambidextrous...his handedness means nothing.
      Hi How,

Thank you!

Comment

• Anna Morris
        • Jan 2014

Another consideration about "handedness" is some people can do course activities with either hand. I am (or was) one of those. I can do a great many tasks with my left hand including carpentry work. I cannot now, nor ever could, write, sew or do other fine work with my left hand.

Many years ago my left arm was severely damaged and has been less than functional so long that I can't really remember all the things I did with either hand. Concerning Jack's murders, some think Mary Kelly's murder shows the murderer could have been left handed. I have always thought, if I was the murderer, I could have put my left hand over her mouth and cut with my right, underneath the left, if you can imagine it. Or alternately I could have covered her mouth with my right hand and cut with my left. It would have made no difference to me. I am not really able to assume these various positions at this time, so I can't really say how that would have felt, but either way seems possible to me and (God forbid) if I was a throat cutter, I think I could once have done it either way without stopping to think about it.
        The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

Comment

• Emanuele Cianto
          • Aug 2015

Hi all,

And thank you all for your answers.
          I think now it is accepted Thompson can't be rouled out of our list for his handedness; but what do you think about the fact he was a homeless, so he couldn't change his clothes and what about the fact he was an opium addict?
          Thank you.

Em

Comment

• Anna Morris
            • Jan 2014

I don't know much about Thompson but have made the point on other threads that many people in those days only had one suit of clothes. I do think this had something to do with some suspects being excused. The Ripper need not have been saturated with blood from the murders but when he started taking organs he probably had guilty blood stains here and there.

Note that Barnett said the police examined his clothes. His clothes must have not been blood stained and I would guess they were his only clothes so it was even easier to exonerate him.
            The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

Comment

• Emanuele Cianto
              • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Anna Morris
              I don't know much about Thompson but have made the point on other threads that many people in those days only had one suit of clothes. I do think this had something to do with some suspects being excused. The Ripper need not have been saturated with blood from the murders but when he started taking organs he probably had guilty blood stains here and there.

Note that Barnett said the police examined his clothes. His clothes must have not been blood stained and I would guess they were his only clothes so it was even easier to exonerate him.
              Hi Anna,

Thank you, I have to agree with you.

Yr,
              Em

Comment

Working...