Antecedents of Grainger & Sadler

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anna Morris
    • Jan 2014

In a press report Alice said he threw her down and then she felt the knife "enter" her. I thought that was an odd way to say she got stabbed in the abdomen. Now we understand more.

Then she said she got up to walk and there was a lot of blood. She became "swimmy" and collapsed.

Grainger apparently discarded his knife which was found by police and didn't try to get away as did JtR. Considering that some thought he could be Jack, did they keep his knife in the Black Museum or anywhere?

Still, it was a sloppy job for JtR. But what about Emma Smith's attacker(s)? I personally think there is a difference between an attacker that kills and mutilates and an attacker who inflicts deadly objects in living victims' vaginas with intent to cause great damage and pain. To me that is a very different thing. I have always said whoever did whatever to Emma Smith was worse than JtR.
    The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

Comment

• Howard Brown
      Registrar
      • Jul 2003

Anna:

Good points.
      One thing which might take him out of the equation is that he didn't subdue his victim to the extent the Whitechapel Murderer had back in 1888.

Personally, for what its worth I don't think the Ripper was necessarily a sadist....but whoever did what they did to Emma Smith and Alice Graham were. Just an opinion at this point in time.

Comment

• Debra Arif
        Retired
        • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Anna Morris
        In a press report Alice said he threw her down and then she felt the knife "enter" her. I thought that was an odd way to say she got stabbed in the abdomen. Now we understand more.

Then she said she got up to walk and there was a lot of blood. She became "swimmy" and collapsed.

Grainger apparently discarded his knife which was found by police and didn't try to get away as did JtR. Considering that some thought he could be Jack, did they keep his knife in the Black Museum or anywhere?

Still, it was a sloppy job for JtR. But what about Emma Smith's attacker(s)? I personally think there is a difference between an attacker that kills and mutilates and an attacker who inflicts deadly objects in living victims' vaginas with intent to cause great damage and pain. To me that is a very different thing. I have always said whoever did whatever to Emma Smith was worse than JtR.
        I've never seen that written. I know she was stabbed in the vagina because Rob Clack looked at the London Hospital Record of her admission and saw it written there.

Comment

• Howard Brown
          Registrar
          • Jul 2003

Here it is Debs

Sheffield Evening Telegraph
          February 27, 1895

Comment

• Debra Arif
            Retired
            • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Howard Brown
            Here it is Debs

Sheffield Evening Telegraph
            February 27, 1895

Thanks How. But we've been talking about this for 10 years at least though and until Rob looked at the records, we didn't know she was stabbed in the vagina...did we?

Comment

• Howard Brown
              Registrar
              • Jul 2003

Debs:

Not until Rob brought it out, did we know where on her person she was stabbed/assaulted precisely.

I posted the Sheffield paper as an example of Graham's reaction to being stabbed.

Comment

• Anna Morris
                • Jan 2014

Jerry Dunlop found a report on another case involving Grainger in England in 1891 and I was able to bump it up.

Comment

• Howard Brown
                  Registrar
                  • Jul 2003

Anna:

Just saw that. Thanks.....

Its 1888 which eludes us all....alas.

Comment

• Jerry Dunlop
                    Information Extractor
                    • Jul 2014

Originally posted by Anna Morris
                    Jerry Dunlop found a report on another case involving Grainger in England in 1891 and I was able to bump it up.
                    Thanks Anna!

Interesting that Howard's OP has Grainger in the Fulham Workhouse on Jan 30, 1891. The news clip I found was dated on January 31st, 1891 and Grainger says he had been sleeping under the Wellington Statue for 5 nights. He was fined 2s 6d or 4 days. The question is then, when was he in Fulham Workhouse? Before or after this event. I say this because Frances Coles was murdered 13 days after the news report.

Comment

• Jerry Dunlop
                      Information Extractor
                      • Jul 2014

I didn't look close enough. It was from Jan 30- Feb12th. We know he was in London at the right time for that one.

Comment

• Anna Morris
                        • Jan 2014

This is a clip from a page on a JtR Tours web site. Much of what is written is backed up with news clippings but there are a few things here I have not yet seen in contemporary reports.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...