X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Howard Brown
    Registrar
    • Jul 2003

**The Five: The Lives of Jack the Ripper’s Women**

I posted a brief article about this yesterday ( in the Ripperology Gazette forum).

'Untold story' of Ripper victims to Doubleday
    Published March 17, 2016 by Natasha Onwuemezi

Doubleday, an imprint of Transworld, has acquired the latest non-fiction book by Hallie Rubenhold, writer of BBC TV drama "The Scandalous Lady W".

Editorial director Jane Lawson acquired UK and Commonwealth rights to Rubenhold’s The Five: The Lives of Jack the Ripper’s Women. The rights were acquired at auction from Sarah Ballard at United Agents.

The Five tells the story of how the five key victims of Jack the Ripper came to be murdered on the streets of Victorian London.

Rubenhold said: “The stories of these women are each extraordinary and unique, and for nearly 130 years the media has over-simplified their true histories. The Five have always been regarded as society’s waste – filthy, ruined, pitiful drink-sodden whores, yet not one of them began life this way and none of them came from the East End. They were from Sweden, Wales, the Midlands. Their fathers and husbands were printers, carpenters, gentleman’s valets, coachmen, and soldiers in the Queen’s Life Guard. Their daughters attended fee-paying schools, their fathers-in-law were property developers. They glimpsed Queen Victoria and rubbed shoulders with Charles Dickens. The Five seeks to restore these women their humanity and reclaim the Jack the Ripper narrative in favour of his victims."

Lawson said: “It is remarkable that no-one has ever written a book about the lives of the ‘canonical’ five. Hallie is now turning her historian’s mind and her storytelling flair to the Victorian era. It will be irresistible to all who enjoy authoritative and informed storytelling.”

Rubenhold added: “I'm thrilled to be tackling head on our outdated understanding of the Ripper myth and looking forward to working with the fantastic team at Doubleday and Transworld.”

The Five will be published in Doubleday hardback in Spring 2018.

Doubleday, an imprint of Transworld, has acquired the latest non-fiction book by Hallie Rubenhold, writer of BBC TV drama "The Scandalous Lady W".
  • Anna Morris
    • Jan 2014

I am glad someone is going to do this. If I wrote a book on the case this is what I would write. At this point I rather believe they were random victims. Without a bigger picture of conspiracy, revenge, or madman's purpose linking these victims, it does become about the women as individuals and it is their story.
    The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

Comment

• Howard Brown
      Registrar
      • Jul 2003

Anna:

I believe the women knew each other...do you ?

I also agree that a book about the women would be an excellent project to undertake.

Comment

• Howard Brown
        Registrar
        • Jul 2003

January 4, 2017

The writer who believes we don't pay any attention to the lives of the Ripper victims is back.

Neil Bell
        located this link and posted it on a Social/Rip page :

Comment

• Cris Malone
          Historian
          • Mar 2010

I was under the impression that there were several people who thought," who were these women?" Neal Sheldon comes to mind just offhand.
          Best Wishes,
          Cris Malone

Comment

• Howard Brown
            Registrar
            • Jul 2003

Cous....Neal comes to mind immediately.

This woman is attempting to capitalize on the minimal amount of victim oriented books vs. suspect books..

Comment

• Cris Malone
              Historian
              • Mar 2010

Naturally, suspect oriented books are going to dominate any unsolved mystery, but she is mistaken -- if that is her claim -- that the lives of the victims haven't been thoroughly researched.

Actually, the most notable book by Sugden gives detailed biographies of most of the victims.

Wish her luck, any new information she claims to have uncovered will be most welcome, but unfortunately, outside of suspect books, it's probably going to be a niche market.
              Best Wishes,
              Cris Malone

Comment

• Robert Linford
                Ripperologist, now deceased
                • Sep 2005

Wow! Jack the Ripper - who cares, because he's dead.

MJK - Ah, now there's an interesting subject. Stone cold dead, but never mind.

Comment

• Debra Arif
                  Retired
                  • Jan 2007

I think it's quite an insult. The victims lives have been thoroughly documented by numerous researchers and the details of their past and how they lived their daily lives is still being researched now. A couple of good books with their life stories suffices because their stories will never change, whereas authors have a blank canvas as far as how they approach JTR.

Comment

• Howard Brown
                    Registrar
                    • Jul 2003

I think it's quite an insult. The victims lives have been thoroughly documented by numerous researchers and the details of their past and how they lived their daily lives is still being researched now. A couple of good books with their life stories suffices because their stories will never change, whereas authors have a blank canvas as far as how they approach JTR.
                    -Debra Arif-

Amen, Debs.

Comment

Working...