Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > Inquest and Doctors' Reports

Inquest and Doctors' Reports Forum for discussion of the coroner's reports and inquest reports for the various victims of the Whitechapel Murders, including the observations and autopsy reports by the attending physicians

Old March 11th, 2015, 07:56 AM   #11
Edward Stow
Researcher

It sounds to me like he was bigging up his reputation - he probably saw photos of the Ripper victims - and 'somewhat acquainted' suggests to me that maybe he entered onto correspondence to overseas colleagues or read about cases (eg France?)
He seemed to think that an epilectic could be responsible.

Edward Stow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2015, 08:07 AM   #12
Debra Arif
Sausage brain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Stow View Post
It sounds to me like he was bigging up his reputation - he probably saw photos of the Ripper victims - and 'somewhat acquainted' suggests to me that maybe he entered onto correspondence to overseas colleagues or read about cases (eg France?)
He seemed to think that an epilectic could be responsible.
Surely he's saying Gilbert [the subject of the newspaper article and the question of his sanity) could have committed his crime ( a child murder) while in an epileptic episode. He's Saying that he has seen 6 of the victims of the Whitechapel JTR murders, which he considers to be sexually motivated, and the mutilations in those cases were different to those of Gilbert's victim?
Debra Arif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2015, 08:16 AM   #13
Debra Arif
Sausage brain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Stow View Post
It sounds to me like he was bigging up his reputation - he probably saw photos of the Ripper victims -
He's specifically discussing the nature of the Whitechapel JTR victims' mutilations in relation to those performed by Gilbert on his victim. Only Catherine Eddowes' mortuary picture and the Miller's court crime scene pictures show the mutilations of any victims. We know Hebbert was at Miller's Court. That is why I suggested he may have been including Eddowes as Bond was asked to give an opinion on her murder and would most likely have been shown the pictures and Hebbert as his assistant would have seen them too. He did do post mortem observations on the four torso murders when Bond was asked to look at those 4 sets of remains, so he may have been including those in his count of 6 as they were mutilated.
Old March 11th, 2015, 08:23 AM   #14
Robert Linford
Researcher Extraordinaire

Given Hebbert's experience in Whitechapel, and his obvious interest in murders, I can't help thinking that elsewhere in American/Canadian newspapers there are undiscovered interviews with him. One way to find them might be to make a list of mutilation murders occurring in north America c early 1890s to c1922.
Robert Linford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2015, 09:00 AM   #15
Debra Arif
Sausage brain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Linford View Post
Given Hebbert's experience in Whitechapel, and his obvious interest in murders, I can't help thinking that elsewhere in American/Canadian newspapers there are undiscovered interviews with him. One way to find them might be to make a list of mutilation murders occurring in north America c early 1890s to c1922.

He did write some medical jurisprudence articles while in the US or Canada, Robert. They were for MJ journals etc. The last one I saw was on the difficulties of distinguishing accidental death by drowning from drowning deaths following an assault eg someone entering the water unconscious. He also kept up his interest in determining height etc. from human remains, like in the torso cases and wrote some replies to others' research on that subject. Journals are a good place to keep looking too, but yes, if he was sought out to give an opinion in this case, he may have been sought out for others too.
Old March 11th, 2015, 09:24 AM   #16
Robert Linford

Debs, what do you make of Jeff's point about the eyesight? Would a man with pince-nez be OK acting as a surgeon? Or was he a ship's surgeon some years before the photo was taken?
Old March 11th, 2015, 09:36 AM   #17
Debra Arif
Sausage brain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Linford View Post
Debs, what do you make of Jeff's point about the eyesight? Would a man with pince-nez be OK acting as a surgeon? Or was he a ship's surgeon some years before the photo was taken?
The photo was from his merchant seaman card and dated 1918, Robert. He's listed as a surgeon so presumably it was taken in 1918 and he was a surgeon on ship as eluded to in that newspaper article you sent me about his death? Wouldn't the glasses have corrected any eyesight problems? Surgeons do wear glasses nowadays, do they?
Maybe he was short-sighted and need glasses for looking out to sea.
Maybe that thing around his neck is something else?
Old March 11th, 2015, 09:38 AM   #18
Debra Arif
Sausage brain

Old March 11th, 2015, 09:42 AM   #19
Robert Linford

Hi Debs

I suppose surgeons wear glasses. The only times I've been under, I couldn't really see.

Well, we have no reports of someone having pince-nez left in their stomachs, anyway.

Thanks Debs.
Old March 11th, 2015, 10:45 AM   #20
Lynn Cates
Researcher & Author

Default thanks

Hello Debs. Thanks.

Cheers.
LC
Lynn Cates is offline   Reply With Quote