Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > Inquest and Doctors' Reports

Inquest and Doctors' Reports Forum for discussion of the coroner's reports and inquest reports for the various victims of the Whitechapel Murders, including the observations and autopsy reports by the attending physicians

Old April 5th, 2016, 09:42 PM   #21
Robert Linford
Researcher Extraordinaire

This Mattie....if she is the Mattie Hannah Cohen of 44 King Edward Rd, Hackney in 1911, then if the family entered the right info on their form,it seems maybe she wasn't in the UK in the 1880s. Joseph Hyman Cohen's birthplace is given as Poland, and he is aged 22. Katie was aged 20 and born in London. Mattie may have squeezed in some time right at the end of the decade. Again, that's if the family had their info correct.
Robert Linford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2016, 10:06 PM   #22
Robert Linford

This is the Mattie Hannah Cohen of 1911, in 1939. There is a Smith at the bottom of the previous page.

She is married, but she may have married at the end of 1911 to a Philip Cohen (possibly the Philip Cohen who was a visitor on the 1911). Helping evacuees would fit in with her job as a teacher. Her DOB would allow her to be in the hospital but only if the family were over here at the time. I'll see if I can find Joseph tomorrow.
Attached Images

Old April 6th, 2016, 12:23 AM   #23
Scott Nelson
Schoolyard Bully

Thank you Robert. I forgot where the piece was.
Scott Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2016, 05:00 AM   #24
CGP
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Linford View Post
This Mattie....if she is the Mattie Hannah Cohen of 44 King Edward Rd, Hackney in 1911, then if the family entered the right info on their form,it seems maybe she wasn't in the UK in the 1880s. Joseph Hyman Cohen's birthplace is given as Poland, and he is aged 22. Katie was aged 20 and born in London. Mattie may have squeezed in some time right at the end of the decade. Again, that's if the family had their info correct.
Thanks. I don't have that 1911 census, but the places of birth of the children in the earlier censuses would place the family in Poland at that time. On the other hand, when Israel applied for naturalisation in January 1901 he said he had been in the country for 13 years.

Mattie's surname was Cohen in 1968 when her brother Ralph died (according to a Jewish Chronicle death notice), though I don't know whether she was married.
CGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2016, 05:51 AM   #25
Robert Linford

Chris, here's the 1911. Maybe How can resize.
Attached Images

Old April 6th, 2016, 05:59 AM   #26
Karsten Giese

Thanks, Chris & Robert!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGP View Post
Yes. That comes from the records of the London Hospital:
[April 28] 555 [without tickets] [No] 7 Marie Lobonoffski 23 Battys Gardens Back Ch: Lane, WC. [Aged] 1 [Ward: Rachel] deleted in red and Buxton written in red above
Bronchitis [?Sutton] [Date of discharge: May] 27 87 [Days in hospital:] 29
[1887 Physicians' Female Admission Register]

This may be a daughter of Morris Lubnowski's brother Israel. Estimates of her date of birth vary, but she would be roughly the right age. Elsewhere she was called Mattie, Tilly or Matilda.

It's not quite clear whether Israel was in England by1887, but as we now know that Woolf Abrahams was living at 38 Berner Street in 1882, it's plausible that other members of the extended family may have been living nearby in the 1880s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Linford View Post
Rob House wrote:

http://www.jtrforums.com/showthread.php?t=17414&page=3

Morris Lubnowski's older brother was a rabbi, living at 6 Yalford Street in the 1891 census:

1891 census (5 April) - Israel [Lubnowsky] Cohen at 6 Yalford St

Rabbi Minister (37), b. Poland Carlish [Kalisz], with wife Leah (30), b. Poland [?]Kutnor [Kutno], children [?]Lilly [or Tilly] (7), Rachael (4), Joseph (2), all b. Poland, and Kitty (7 months), b. London Mile End.

Unless I have this wrong... But I don't think I do. Maybe I can get Chris Phillips to confirm this.

1891 census (5 April) ]Lilly [or Tilly] (7)

Mattie Hannah Cohen born 5 February 1887. In April 1891 Mattie´s´s age: 4. But this Lilly, Daughter of Israel Lubnowski, age 7 in 1891 = born 1884?

And Joseph, age 2, born in Poland (1888/89). Racheal age 4 in 1891, born in Poland (1886/87).

Do I understand that rightly? If Lobonoffski of 23 Battys Gardens is Lubnowski then Rachael would have been "Marie" in 1887 but she was born in Poland.

Karsten.
Karsten Giese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2016, 06:09 AM   #27
Robert Linford

I missed that pencilled DOB on Mattie's entry. Presumably it comes from her death record, which gives her as dying Q2 1972 at Hendon. DOB 26th July 1885.

I think that Joseph died in Hendon too, but finding him in 1939 is difficult. Here's Joseph's probate entry.
Attached Images

Old April 6th, 2016, 06:16 AM   #28
Karsten Giese

[QUOTE=CGP;293729On the other hand, when Israel applied for naturalisation in January 1901 he said he had been in the country for 13 years[/QUOTE]

Israel Lubnowski was a rabbi. Is it possible that the rabbi Israel Lubnowski moved to London at the request of Morris & Matilda Lubnowski in October 1888 when his wife Leah was pregnant with Joseph? And after the birth of Joseph she later moved to London (in 1889)?
Old April 6th, 2016, 06:30 AM   #29
Karsten Giese

Hi Scott!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Nelson View Post
Thank you. I don't have my notes with me.

The Isaac Davis you mention was a Butchers Row resident. I believe he presided over Frederick Abberline's retirement ceremony held at the Three Nuns Hotel across from Butcher's Row, in 1892. The butchers Louisson and Bosman, among others, were there. There's an article somewhere describing it.
Isaac Davis presided over the ceremony. His brother-in-law was Henry Nathan, a butcher who had a shop at no. 46 Aldgate-High Street, across the street in Butchers’ Row. Two other butchers were in attendance that night, J(James) Hawkins and F(Frederick) Louisson, both of whom also had shops in Butchers’ Row, at nos. 55 and 57, respectively.

Isaac Davis´brother-in-law, Henry Nathan, was the Butchers Row resident. It seems that Isaac Davis was a feather merchant at 62/63 Whitechapel High Street/ Spectacle Alley in 1888. Eileen said lots of people resided 1891 in 63 Whitechapel High Street. One of these people was Woolf Costavinki (Kosminsky/Kaminski).
Old April 6th, 2016, 07:14 AM   #30
Robert Linford

Hi Karsten. Here's the 1901.
Attached Images