Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > Motives and Reasons > 33. Other

33. Other Don't agree with any of the preceding 32? Got your own ideas? Tell us about them in here.

Old February 13th, 2008, 10:03 AM   #1
Rescue Dog
Former Member

Default A Combination of 3

The motive of the Ripper, as defined in my novel is in fact a combination of 3 of the factors quoted in the first 32 on this thread. To find out which, you will of course have to read the book! (Devilishly fiendish eh?) To make matters more complicated the reasons in the book do not mirror those I believe to be the real motive for the killings. More of that later, perhaps.

Brian

Last edited by Rescue Dog; February 13th, 2008 at 10:03 AM. Reason: typo
Old February 13th, 2008, 11:53 AM   #2
Mags
Researcher & Sweetheart

Did you find it difficult to write a novel in which the suspect and motive weren't what you actually think they were? Did any of your real suspicions leak through?

I think it must have been a real exercise in objectivity to do that.
Mags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 01:38 PM   #3
WRITEFX
Former Member

Brian are your own reasons part of the 33 or not?
Old February 13th, 2008, 01:56 PM   #4
Gumshoe

Er, if you have a combination of 3 of the motives or reasons for your own explanation, why isn't this in #31 instead of #33?
Gumshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2008, 04:58 AM   #5
Rescue Dog
Former Member

The reason it's here is probably becuase I was half-asleep, (or half-awake) when I posted it. Apologies, it should have been in #31

Mags,

As 'A Study in Red' was a novel as opposed to a non-fiction book, I was able to be quite objective about the storyline. By making no reference to my own 'prime suspect' in the fictional account, and by adhering slavishly to the plot line I'd laid out for the book, I was able to concentrate all my mental energy into the fictional account as related in the novel. I actually became acutely wrapped up in the feelings of my central character, Robert Cavendish, to the extent that I often emerged from my office feeling quite drained, simply from being so wrapped up in the fictional events I was portraying. I think it would be true to say that I 'felt' my way all the way through the book.

Best regards to everyone.

Brian