Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > Motives and Reasons > 33. Other

33. Other Don't agree with any of the preceding 32? Got your own ideas? Tell us about them in here.

Old November 21st, 2014, 04:29 PM   #11
Phillip Walton
Researcher

Very interesting, I think the older men (over 45) on that list can be eliminated as suspects simply because they are too old. The descriptions mostly all give an age in the 25 to 40 bracket so a couple of the younger ones could be eliminated as well. That leaves only about seven in the right age bracket.
Phillip Walton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2014, 05:58 AM   #12
Harry Poland
Resident sceptic

I've still got just over half of the records to go through so that seven might increase a little bit.

An interesting little snippet I rediscovered last night was that Dr LLewelen speculated that Nichols may have been mutilated with a cork cutters knife. On the other hand Miller was 55 in 1888 so as you say probably too old
Harry Poland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2014, 08:08 PM   #13
Adam Went
Researcher

Yes, great work so far Harry! Certainly a very interesting lead to follow!

Cheers,
Adam.
Adam Went is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2014, 03:01 AM   #14
Trevor Bond
Former Member

Harry,

Far be it from me to suggest that you haven't come up with this independently but for the benefit of anyone else reading this thread I feel it is important to point out that this was one of the major conclusions to come out of Robert Anderson's talk on syphilis at the Whitechapel Society conference in Salisbury 2 weeks ago.
Trevor Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2014, 08:22 AM   #15
Harry Poland
Resident sceptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Bond View Post
Harry,

Far be it from me to suggest that you haven't come up with this independently but for the benefit of anyone else reading this thread I feel it is important to point out that this was one of the major conclusions to come out of Robert Anderson's talk on syphilis at the Whitechapel Society conference in Salisbury 2 weeks ago.
Hi Trevor

Thanks for pointing this out. I was unaware of this talk, but I would hate for anybody to think that I was stealing their ideas.

Please could you let me know exactly what Roberts major conclusion was i.e. syphilis, skin disease, blotchy face, William Miller and I'll ensure that I give credit where it is due in future discussions
Old November 23rd, 2014, 09:54 AM   #16
Trevor Bond
Former Member

Harry,

Glad to hear you took my message in the spirit it was intended. Robert's talk was recorded and there is talk of potentially releasing the audio as a podcast via the Rippercast feed so look out for details of that, plus I believe he may be considering writing it up for either Ripperologist magazine or the Whitechapel Society journal. Watch this space as they say.

He didn't come to any major conclusions other than that statistically it is almost impossible that a high proportion of the people we know from the case (be they witnesses, victims or suspects) weren't infected with syphilis. Beyond that he quite sensibly only raised possibilities of potential syphilitics based on what we know about them - the natural history of some of the victims for example (and I'll allow Robert to expand on that or not, as he sees fit) and yes of course our mutual blotchy faced friend. He had some fascinating images to show, albeit we were all glad he wasn't on immediately before lunch, and some of the effects of syphilis on the skin certainly looked convincingly like a pattern you may well describe as 'blotchy faced'.

It really was fascinating and I was proud to see my name up there on the title slide as part of 'team syphilis' even though in reality I contributed very little.
Trevor Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2014, 10:27 AM   #17
Harry Poland
Resident sceptic

Trevor

Fascinating. Thanks for the info :-)
Old February 9th, 2015, 12:47 PM   #18
Anna Morris

This started out considering if Blotchy Man could have had a skin disease.

This might be the place to consider that Mary seems to have known or perhaps even lived with gas stokers previous to Barnett. Consider a man with a fair compelxion shovelling coal all day, which I think is what the job was about. Merely the effort would likely break blood vessels in the face over time. Heat or other conditions could very much add to a blotchy appearance.

For some reason the police didn't seem to be looking for Blotchy. Possibly they easily identified him and he had an air tight alibi. Maybe he was one of the gas stokers and this had something to do with Mrs. Phoenix/Felix going to the police station to volunteer information.
Old August 14th, 2015, 06:28 PM   #19
Scott Nelson
Schoolyard Bully

Anna - can you please get rid of that avatar? It gives me nightmares every time I see it. Ever see that voodoo doll episode on Night Gallery?
Scott Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2015, 06:41 PM   #20
Robert Linford
Researcher Extraordinaire

Oh well, we can't all have Captain Arthur Hastings like Scott :

http://www.gentlemansgazette.com/art...lothes-poirot/
Robert Linford is online now   Reply With Quote