Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > Motives and Reasons > 33. Other

33. Other Don't agree with any of the preceding 32? Got your own ideas? Tell us about them in here.

Old August 30th, 2009, 10:44 AM   #11
Mike Covell
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by How Brown View Post

I.-EARLY HISTORY.
I was always, as a boy, fond of everything pertaining to mysticism, astrology, witchcraft, and what is commonly known as " occult science " generally ; and I devoured with avidity every book or tale that I could get hold of having reference to these arts. I remember, at the early age of 14, practising mesmerism on several of my schoolfellows particularly on my cousin, a year younger than myself. But on this boy (now, by the way, a hardheaded north country solicitor) developing a decided talent for somnambulism,- D'Onston 1896...
The facts,

First of all Stephenson claims to have been a Schoolboy at 14, but the 1851 Census (HO107 P2361 F325 P10 R87633-87634) shows him as a Scholar at Home. In this very Census he is aged 9, so it is quite possible that he went to one of the many available schools when he was a little older.

Next up he claims to have carried out mesmerism on his cousin who was a year younger than himself. Stephenson did have a cousin who was a year younger than himself called Joseph Dawber.

Stephenson goes on to claim that his cousin became a hardheaded north county solicitor, whilst this is partially true, Joseph did become a solicitor, by the time Stephenson had this tome printed, Joseph was no longer a solicitor due to several acts of fraud during the early 1890's.
Mike Covell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2009, 11:07 AM   #12
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Mike:

D'Onston taking a verifiable fact and then adding fiction to it isn't new....which of course everyone and his brother knows.

What strikes me the most about RDS here...and I have to thank Nemo for encouraging this thread before I forget...is that he called it "mesmerism" when mesmerism is not what he is describing. For an all knowing virtual encyclopedia of haute magic and all that crap, this is not the first time he's misrepresented one thing for the other in his writing.
Old August 30th, 2009, 11:13 AM   #13
Mike Covell
Former Member

I was in no way stating that Stephenson was telling the truth, I was adding the facts from the period to the fictional story, in the hope that we can not only make sense of the stuff he wrote, and find out the truth.

The River Hull ran right alongside Sculcoates, what are the chances that Stephenson didn't have some huge magnets that he dropped off the bankside, before tossing his cousin into the depths!
Mike Covell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2009, 11:30 AM   #14
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

I hear you,Mike...and I knew how you meant what you said.

Its sort of like me saying to you or Nemo:

"You know...I just heard that latest song by The Ramones on 8-track".

Well...the Ramones are not only 75% deceased...but they don't make 8 tracks anymore and no music will ever be made on 8 track again.

Using the term mesmerism, when it was something else by that time is the key to me Mike that this is yet another false story. If he had said "hypnotism" this story might be acceptable since he did indeed have a cousin a year younger as you say.

The last email you sent didn't have anything attached. Maybe it got transported into space,buddy.
Old August 30th, 2009, 12:12 PM   #15
Paul Kearney A.K.A. NEMO
Theorist & Speculator

Hi Mike & Howard

I'm sure even in early mesmerism they were producing stage hypnotist type scenarios like the lost penis thingy

I think I've seen depictions of people feeding from a bowl like a dog etc

I don't think invisibility etc would have been the aim Mike

It would be more like collecting the "essential" artefacts to enable him to carrry out the ceremony to raise Lucifer

In his capacity as a would be Archmage, he could well have influenced a Neophyte type character a bit like a Netley...

The "stooge" need not have been a full trance like state etc but I'm sure RDS could be very influential toward the average uneducated East End wannabe - possibly someone of a much higher class who fully believed all the Satanic stuff at the time. He might have been fully aware of what he was doing and what it was all about - making corpse candles basically
Paul Kearney A.K.A. NEMO is offline   Reply With Quote