Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > Motives and Reasons > 33. Other

33. Other Don't agree with any of the preceding 32? Got your own ideas? Tell us about them in here.

Old October 13th, 2006, 04:38 PM   #11
Night Stalker
Former Member

Hey all :

I'm sorry but I have to disagree.

Firstly, I believe RDS was a Walter Mitty type character, who told tall tales to impress the people he thought he had a superior intellect over. To talk so easily about his suppossed '42' battles I don't believe for a second. He was a man who craved fame and would say or hint at anything to achive it.

Secondly, in reference to Howards' question. My father left the military over 25 years ago. He is 65 and still built like the proverbial "brick shit house". He is still capable of doing things a man of his age would not be expected to do, this is due to his military training and background.

Just my own opinion, NS -
Old October 15th, 2006, 02:45 AM   #12
Shawn-a
Former Member

Walter Mitty might be a better analogy than my Cyrus Trask one--Steinbeck's Trask was actually in one battle, losing his leg, before claiming to have been at every battle.

RDS claims he met a household-name General in India who was in the Charge of the Light Brigade (Crimea, of course). I'm wondering if that's anywhere near verifiable for the RDS chronology of the decade 1871-81....

If he can be identified, then maybe so can the major-surgeon of the Gurkhas that he also 'knew'....
Gurkhas, Italian Army....I think RDS wants to be you, NS....

"My battle of New Orleans is killing me!"
Chico and the Man
Old October 15th, 2006, 08:05 PM   #13
Night Stalker
Former Member

Shawna, the three house hold names, involved were :-

Lord Raglan : died 1855

Earl of Cardigan : died 1868

Lord Lucan : died 1888 (don't think he visited India)

I think RDS can but dream, eh !!!