Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > The Witnesses + Evidence

The Witnesses + Evidence Inquest testimonies and how they have influenced Ripperology...from Albert Cadosch to a cry of "Oh,Murder !"....from the Goulston Street Graffito to those letters from Hell.

Old March 27th, 2017, 03:16 PM   #91
Gary Barnett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Linford View Post
I think I saw the Green Gate in one of those censuses. We always called that crossroads the Green Gate - if as a kid I said I was going to Green Gate, I didn't mean I was going to the pub - I meant I was going for a haircut or something.

The vicious man traps for poachers were abolished in the 1820s, I think. Otherwise it might have been the end of the St Pier show.
Thanks, Rob. So the St P's ran the pub in Horn's Road. One of them apparently had a steam threshing machine for hire but went bankrupt. Another shot a couple of greyhounds.

Stephen's mother was Lucy White and there was a White/St. P. marriage I spotted, so he may have been related to them in some way.

It's nice to get a bit of background on these minor characters.
Gary Barnett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2017, 03:33 PM   #92
Gary Barnett

I've just noticed a Florence Fountain listed amongst the St. P's in 1891. Stephen's maternal grandparents were Fountains.
Old March 27th, 2017, 04:17 PM   #93
Robert Linford
Researcher Extraordinaire

Well, Caroline under her correct surname is listed in the 1901. She's the wife of Ernest Wood. Various child Woods and then Mary A St Pierre, mother, aged 67, and finally Florence E Fountain aged 16 niece. BTW I think Florence's mother was called Moore.

This family was living at 201 Thorold Rd, Ilford. Didn't you ask me once before about Thorold Rd?
Robert Linford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2017, 04:23 PM   #94
Robert Linford

Florence marries Felix Wood and they're in Ley St in 1911. Her husband was a greengrocer so she was OK for sprouts.
Old March 27th, 2017, 04:47 PM   #95
Gary Barnett

Quote:
Well, Caroline under her correct surname is listed in the 1901. She's the wife of Ernest Wood. Various child Woods and then Mary A St Pierre, mother, aged 67, and finally Florence E Fountain aged 16 niece. BTW I think Florence's mother was called Moore.

This family was living at 201 Thorold Rd, Ilford. Didn't you ask me once before about Thorold Rd?
I think I did, but I can't remember why. Was it something to do with John Perry, the pickpocket?

In 1890, a William Box, dealer, of Barkingside was charged with stealing a horse and cart from a James Russell of Limehouse.
Old March 27th, 2017, 04:50 PM   #96
Gary Barnett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Barnett View Post
I think I did, but I can't remember why. Was it something to do with John Perry, the pickpocket?

In 1890, a William Box, dealer, of Barkingside was charged with stealing a horse and cart from a James Russell of Limehouse.
I was nearly right. It was Frank Ostime, the bent railway cop who was in cahoots with Perry. (Perry being one of the men who attacked Margaret Sullivan).
Old March 27th, 2017, 04:59 PM   #97
Gary Barnett

Quote:
Florence marries Felix Wood and they're in Ley St in 1911. Her husband was a greengrocer so she was OK for sprouts.
Before he graduated to sheep-stealing, John St P. was a cabbage thief. He wouldn't touch sprouts, though, he had standards.
Old March 28th, 2017, 09:37 AM   #98
Caroline Morris
Author

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Barnett View Post
Before he graduated to sheep-stealing, John St P. was a cabbage thief. He wouldn't touch sprouts, though, he had standards.
No, but Caroline Wood.
Old March 28th, 2017, 09:52 AM   #99
Robert Linford

I must confess that until I was about 16 I found Sunday roasts a bit of a bind. Then I suddenly loved them - sprouts included.
Old March 28th, 2017, 10:38 AM   #100
Anna Morris

Maybe MJK left the Morgensterns because, with their Belgian connexions, they served too many BRUSSELS sprouts?