Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > The Witnesses + Evidence

The Witnesses + Evidence Inquest testimonies and how they have influenced Ripperology...from Albert Cadosch to a cry of "Oh,Murder !"....from the Goulston Street Graffito to those letters from Hell.

Old March 23rd, 2017, 04:58 AM   #61
Debra Arif
Sausage brain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Barnett View Post
From the contradictory data we have on Sarah Maywood it's possible to extract:

Sarah Ann McNamara
Born Canning Town 1862
Daughter named Eliza
Used the variant surname Mack

The surname spelling McNamara is the most commonly used form. The Macmannara on William's birth cert is surely a misspelling.

Her death cert confirms the middle name and again gives 1862 as her year of birth. So her age was either correct on her marriage cert and incorrect on four censuses and her death cert or vice versa.

By 1883, she and her husband are living in STGITE, an area that he had no connection to.

Compare that to:

Sarah Ann McNamara
Born Plaistow 1862
Sister Eliza
Sister Catherine used the surname variant Mack
Family connected to STGITE (Old Gravel Lane, Bluegate Fields, etc.)

It's a pretty good fit. As I say below, Plaistow and Canning Town are next to each other. The fly in the ointment is the marriage cert, but if Sarah Maywood really was born in 1862, then she was only 15 when she married, her father had apparently died when she was 8 and she was illiterate. That provides quite a bit of scope for error, deliberate or otherwise.

There are obvious question marks, but I certainly wouldn't rule out the possibility that this is the same person.
I wasn't suggesting you should rule yours out. I thought the actual marriage certificate information might help was all.
Debra Arif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2017, 06:11 AM   #62
Gary Barnett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debra Arif View Post
I wasn't suggesting you should rule yours out. I thought the actual marriage certificate information might help was all.
I didn't think you were, Debs. I just wanted to explain my reasoning for considering Sarah McNamara a good fit, despite the obvious discrepancies with Sarah Mack's marriage cert. The age diff, the father's occupation (Hugh was an invalid ex-soldier) and the Mack/Macmmanara discrepancies I don't really see as a problem, but the father's name difference is rather harder to explain. You'd think that even if someone lost a parent aged 8, they'd know what his forename was.

The one thing I don't know yet is the names of the witnesses. When I ordered the cert I put the groom's name as William (twit!), so the order wasn't processed. I've resubmitted it.
Gary Barnett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2017, 07:19 AM   #63
Gary Barnett

There is one John Mack offered on Ancestry as a possible father for Sarah. He was born in 1814 in Barking and was widowed and living in the Mile End workhouse in 1871.

The reason I'm interested in Sarah's background is because it might explain Stephen's career move from Essex agricultural labourer to East End brothel-keeper (as it seems likely he was between 1883-1891-ish). Having an Irish cockney wife whose family had links to Old Gravel Lane and Bluegate Fields might be the explanation.
Old March 23rd, 2017, 08:53 AM   #64
Gary Barnett

Default Cambridge Cattle Fraud

In a nutshell, William Box, Maywood's half-brother, was convicted of defrauding two Irish cattle dealers by paying for cattle with dud cheques. Maywood and another man named Boxhall were charged with conspiracy to defraud but were acquitted. Maywood played the village idiot and claimed he was just Box's employee. (I'll post a transcription of one of the long, and amusing, press reports later.)

On reading the reports of the case, you might be forgiven for thinking that Maywood was just Box's assistant, paid a few bob here and there by his duplicitous half-brother.

But dig a little deeper and a different picture emerges. Box is said to live in two rooms of a small cottage in Ilford, but in 1894 Maywood had bought a farm for 305., and in 1900 he had sufficient cash to lay out for the 30 carts and 10 thrill harnesses. He auctioned them, together with a 'rare good stud of twenty heavy working horses' at the Royal City Repository on 17/11/1900. He was then operating out of Little Newbury Farm. By 1906, he was able to buy Little Bromfords for 1,750, and in the same year one of his sons bought Common Farm in Felsted and 25 acres of land for 650.

And we are supposed to believe that in 1905 Maywood was acting as Box's gopher for 5 bob and his train fare?

Pull the other one...

Maywood's recorded occupations were varied, but horse dealer was the most common one. His death cert, however, gave his occupation as 'retired cattle dealer'. I wonder if that was Sarah having the last laugh on her philandering husband?
Old Today, 08:07 AM   #65
Gary Barnett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Barnett View Post
Yes, I had seen that one before. It's been well over a year since I last looked into Maywood. Possibly Jun. is the the man on the left, in which case, as you say, the other three are probably all Senr at different times in his life.

I've scrutinised the seaside one with a magnifying glass in the hope of spotting a Belgian ice-cream wrapper, but no joy.
I think the wedding photo attached to Stephen Jr is only there because the bride was Nellie Springett, his erstwhile paramour. It's dated to 1947 and judging by the clothes, that looks about right. 'Junior' would have been 69 at the time and none of the men in the group look that ancient.

Sesaide man is surely Stephen Senior. Taken about 1919 , I would imagine , with Gertie and her four children at the time: Abigail, Gertrude, and the twins, Ann and Stephen. Gertie had lost 5 children between 1904 and 1908, apparently.

The other two photos, I'm not sure about. I wish I knew more about vintage cars - that would help with the dating of one of them. Or about men's fashion, that would help with the other.
Old Today, 08:17 AM   #66
Gary Barnett

Default Nupers Hatch 1

Two views of Maywood's Staplefeord Abbots bolthole, courtesy of Ed Stow:

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  150.7 KB
Old Today, 08:19 AM   #67
Gary Barnett

Default Nuper's Hatch 2

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  132.0 KB
Old Today, 08:22 AM   #68
Robert Linford
Researcher Extraordinaire

Good of Ed to take those pics - miles from a chip shop.
Robert Linford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:27 AM   #69
Robert Linford

I notice that Gertie remarried the same quarter that Maywood died. Was she leaving it till he went so as not to hurt his feelings, or did she marry the instant she was free of him?
Old Today, 10:53 AM   #70
Robert Linford

With Thomas and Gertrude Devins in 1939 is Ann Parker, married, born 28 Aug 1914. 'Parker' has been overwritten with 'Maywood.' This person seems to be Gertrude's daughter Sarah Ann Maywood, who goes to Nebraska after the war. On the passenger list she gives herself as Maywood and single, but in fact she married Walter L Parker in 1938, presumably killed in the war.