Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > Persons Of Interest or Actual Suspects > Prince Albert Victor

Old March 23rd, 2011, 09:58 PM   #1
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Default **Prince Albert Victor : The Diarist**

The 1879-1882 log and day to day experiences of Princes Albert Victor and George, with additional material by John Neale Dalton.

http://books.google.com/books?id=CIU...e'&f=false
Old March 24th, 2011, 09:41 AM   #2
Chris Scott
Author & Researcher

Hi How
Many thanks for that link
I remember reading ages ago that one of the Royals way back was one of the witnesses to a sea serpent sighting - I think it was the future George V on this voyage - anyone know anything more?
Chris
Chris Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2011, 02:27 PM   #3
Chris G.

Hi Howard and Chris

If you call up the "About this book" page for the Prince's memoirs, you will see, interestingly and ironically, that counted among "related books" is The Survey of Western Palestine by Charles Warren and Claude R. Conder (first published I think in 1878), chronicling their archaeological investigations in Jerusalem. Well that's funny, it popped up for me at first but now I don't see it.

Chris

Prince Albert Victor and Prince George aboard HMS Bacchante, 1879-1882
April 7-8, 2018, go to http://rippercon.com/[/URL]
2 days of talks & 2 days of tours, April 6 to April 9!
Places still available.
Don't Miss Out on the Only North American
Conference on the Whitechapel Murders
in the 130th Anniversary Year of the Crimes
Chris G. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2011, 05:19 PM   #4
Chris Scott
Author & Researcher

I found the reference I was thinking of but it was not a sea serpent but a phantom ship - I knew there was a paranormal connection!

"06-11-1881*** King George V of England ***
In the Cruise of the Bacchante, a work compiled from the journals of the late King George V of England ( then Duke of York ) and his brother Prince Albert Victor, is reported the sighting of a phantom ship. The brothers served as midshipmen on H.M.S. Bacchante’s round the world voyage between 1879 and 1882.
At 4 A.M. on July 11, 1881 [Note: Date error – Should be June, not July-CF], while the vessel was sailing to Sydney from Melbourne, Australia, the late King’s diary says an eerie red light was noticed. His account follows:
In the midst of the red light, the masts, spars and sails of a brig two hundred yards distant stood out in strong relief as she came up on the port bow. The lookout in the forecastle reported her as close to the bow, while also the officer of the watch from the bridge clearly saw her. So did the quarterdeck midshipman, who was sent forward at once to the forecastle; but on arriving, there was no vestige or sign of any material ship. The night was clear and the sea calm.
Thirteen persons altogether saw her. Two other ships of the squadron, the Tourmaline and the Cleopatra, who were sailing off our starboard bow, asked whether we had seen the strange red light."
Chris Scott is offline   Reply With Quote