Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > Miscellaneous Media > Films and Film Reviews

Films and Film Reviews Forums for discussion of all kinds of movies, specific and in general, and for posting reviews of select films of interest

Old August 2nd, 2012, 01:51 PM   #11
Phillip Walton
Researcher

The fact that 'Vertigo' was shown on British TV a couple of weeks ago might have something to do with it.
Phillip Walton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2012, 04:20 PM   #12
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

In my opinion, Vertigo is not only not one of Hitchcock's better films, it is not even a very good film, period. It is one of Hitchcock's sloppier and more convoluted films. Jimmy Stewart is pretty lousy in it, and it is quite hokey. And I say that as a big Hitchcock fan. I would probably put it in the bottom 50% of Hitchcock's films.

R.House

This is such a coincidence...
Yesterday at work, my friend and I were discussing films...and eventually got to Vertigo and he said almost everything Rob just said in the above post.
I agree with him and Rob....Vertigo, to me, is an overrated film.

IMHO, North By Northwest is his best...Rear Window, Dial M For Murder and Strangers On A Train are films of Hitch's I enjoy.
Old August 2nd, 2012, 09:07 PM   #13
Magpie
Researcher

I spent four years in film school where Hitchcock was worshipped as a near god--second only to Woody Allen, and I loathe both of them.
Old August 2nd, 2012, 09:10 PM   #14
Rob House
Researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
I spent four years in film school where Hitchcock was worshipped as a near god--second only to Woody Allen, and I loathe both of them.
I am curious... after 4 year in film school... what directors do you like?

RH
Rob House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2012, 11:24 PM   #15
Stan Reid

Regarding Rear Window, I think the last recognizable character, Frank Cady, just died about 8 weeks ago. He was almost 97.
Stan Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2012, 12:32 AM   #16
Magpie
Researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob House View Post

RH
Hmmm...good question. Of the ones they pushed on us in school, I still like David Cronenberg, Sergio Leone and Kurosawa. I committed the ultimate heresy of preferring Mel Brooks over Woody Allen (and I still think Brook's parodies are brilliant). Terry Gilliam is god, Tim Burton is visually and narratively brilliant but creatively barren--but sometimes that's okay.

I like Kevin Smith and Takashi Miike (in small doses). Ryűhei Kitamura has flashes of brilliance. I have a soft spot for Luc Besson, although his contributions as a writer and producer for other directors has produced some of his better work. I used to love Dario Argento, but he hasn't produced anything worthwhile in decades.

I love Hammer Films and Ealing Films (Studios rather than directors, I know, but the studio set the style), and I'm an unabashed fan of genre flicks--horror, fantasy, kung-fu, spaghetti westerns, pinku films and caper/heist flicks. In recent years most of my favourite movies have come out of Europe and Asia, although I think the British continue to make brilliant comedies.

There's probably a couple of hundred directors I've overlooked....
Old August 3rd, 2012, 12:36 AM   #17
Magpie
Researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob House View Post

RH
I should mention that I don't loathe Woody Allen as much as I used to. His parody movies (Sleepers, Love and Death etc. etc.) are funny--but the film dept considered those insignificant to his "masterpieces" like Annie Hall. Manhattan etc (films I would rather gnaw my hand off at the wrist than sit through again)