Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > Persons Of Interest or Actual Suspects > Prince Albert Victor

Old March 23rd, 2011, 08:35 PM   #11
Stan Reid
Burden to society

Yes, the Dalton piece says that George was known a "Sprat".

Stan
Stan Reid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2011, 08:42 PM   #12
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

In Ja-maker

Cleveland Plain Dealer
April 8,1880
Old March 23rd, 2011, 08:43 PM   #13
Stan Reid
Burden to society

That's the right boat now on to Norfolk, VA!

Stan
Old March 23rd, 2011, 08:47 PM   #14
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

The dudes get tattooed

New York Herald
January 18,1880
Old March 23rd, 2011, 09:03 PM   #15
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Stan:

I'll have to give 'er a go tomorrow...no luck in the sources I checked for Norfolk,Va.
Sorry buddy.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 09:15 PM   #16
Stan Reid
Burden to society

Thanks much How - didn't mean to make a fuss. It was just the first I'd seen anything about PAV ever being in the U.S. What do I know though. I believe this was the time when it was claimed that he caught syphilis. Virginia is for lovers!

Stan
Old March 23rd, 2011, 09:27 PM   #17
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Stan:

Here's a photo of the two on board the Bacchante...

http://www.heritage-images.com/Previ...licenseType=RM

Its no problem, Stan...my pleasure.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 09:54 PM   #18
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Default PAV's Diary Of Life At Sea 1879-1882

Stan:

The two brothers didn't come to the United States. Whoever is in charge of that Wikipedia section on PAV is a pisspoor reader . Probably the same critter who did his best to (successfully for the moment ) edit out what Jon Rees and I tried to correct about the D'Onston silliness a couple of years back.

This is the actual log of their excursion from England to various ports and return....rather the book co-written by PAV

http://books.google.com/books?id=CIUTAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA1&dq=%22the+cruise+of+h .m.s.+bacchante'&hl=en&ei=PpKKTbuwM47VgAfvr4jNDQ&s a=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CDsQ6AE wAQ#v=onepage&q=%22the%20cruise%20of%20h.m.s.%20ba cchante'&f=false

Here is a scan of the return trip from Bermuda which completely bypassed the United States and which is found in PAV's book.

Old March 23rd, 2011, 10:37 PM   #19
Stan Reid
Burden to society

Thanks How. I wondered why I hadn't heard of the visit before. It was actually in the George V entry but said that PAV was with him. It doesn't specify US in PAVs entry.

Stan
Old June 12th, 2013, 05:08 AM   #20
Bob Siler
Former Member

Default The royality and the ripper tour

The Ripper murders of 1888 effected everyone, from the prostitutes of Whitechapel to the woman who ruled the country, Queen Victoria. Her grand son, Prince Albert, the Duke of Clarence, would go down in history as a Ripper suspect. So, heres a Royal tour of some of the places where the Queen and her family lived and are buried.
Bob

QUEEN VICTORIA
(ALEXANDRINA VICTORIA)

BORN - MAY 24, 1819
KENSINGTON PALACE, LONDON

HER PARENTS
PRINCE EDWARD - DUKE OF KENT AND STRATHEARN

PRINCESS VICTORIA OF SAXECOBURG - SAALFELD

SPOUSE
PRINCE ALBERT

QUEEN OF ENGLAND - JUNE 20, 1837 - JANUARY 22, 1901
She was 18 years old.

CORONATION - JUNE 28, 1838

Like most royal figures, Queen Victoria had several homes.

BUCKINGHAM PALACE

Queen Victoria was the first monarch to take up residence in July 1837, just three weeks after her accession, and in June 1838, she was the first British sovereign to leave from Buckingham Palace for a coronation. Her marriage to Prince Albert in 1840 soon illustrated the Palace's shortcomings. A serious problem for the newly married couple was the absence of any nurseries and too few bedrooms for visitors. The only solution was to move Marble Arch -- it now stands at the northeast corner of Hyde Park -- and build a forth wing, thereby creating a quadrangle.

BALMORAL CASTLE

Built in the 15th Century, Balmoral castle was purchased for Queen Victoria by Prince Albert in 1852. Queen Victoria laid the foundation stone of the new building on 28th September 1853. The castle was built from granite from the neighboring quarries of Glen Gelder, which produce a near white stone. The original castle was demolished and a plaque on the front lawn marks the position of the front door of the old castle. The building was finally completed in 1856.

After Albert's death in 1861 (aged 42), Queen Victoria increasingly spent more of her time at Balmoral, famously befriending her gillie John Brown. When Queen Victoria died in 1901, Balmoral Estates passed, under the terms of her will, to King Edward VII, and from him to each of his successors.

Improvements continue to this day, notably by the current Duke of Edinburgh, who has enlarged the flower and vegetable garden, and created the water garden. Originally consisting of over 11,000 acres, over the years further land has been acquired, bringing the total to around 50,000 acres. As most of the land is mountainous, at present only about 450 acres are farmed.

The estate houses many important species of plants and animals, and is monitored closely by the ITE (Institute for Terrestrial Ecology). The 2,500-acre Ballochbuie forest, originally purchased by Queen Victoria in 1878 to save it from a timber merchant, contains one of the largest remnants of Caledonian Pine forest left in the country. Twenty-five years ago, a small area known as the "tennis court" was enclosed in a regeneration trial suggested by the Duke of Edinburgh. In 1979, when the success of the experiment became clear, a further 50 acres was enclosed, and in 1992, a further 750 acres. In addition to this, nearly 5,000 acres of the estate have been planted with trees, providing shelter for red deer.

WINDSOR CASTLE

Originally, Windsor was a village on the edge of a forest that was visited from time to time by Saxon kings, who used the nearby woods to hunt. William the Conqueror chose Windsor as his home because of the forest and its closeness to water. Also, it was close enough to London to ensure safe control. By 1272, the castle at Windsor had taken the shape that it is known for today (as it's remained for 700 years), a castle on a hill, a round tower on a mound, two wards with walls and towers round them, all for power and prestige.

By the time of Victoria, Windsor had become a symbol for the Empire, and was used as such. State visits were held there. It was a mix of regal and private family life. Victoria lived there on and off for 64 years, longer than any other monarch. It was in the Private Apartments that she first laid eyes on Albert when he was at Windsor in 1839, and it was in the same apartments that he died on December 14, 1861, in the room where George IV and William IV had also died. The room was kept as a shrine until her own death in 1901.

While Osborne and Balmoral were his and the Queen's private homes, which they had created together, Windsor was the official residence of the monarch, and the Queen dominated it even Prince Albert's lifetime. Life as lived by the Queen at Windsor was divided into two parts -- the everyday life in the Private Apartments and the occasional event in the State Apartments. The Queen occupied the rooms in the Southeast (soon known as the Victoria) Tower. Prince Albert used George IV's rooms, but seems to have slept with the Queen until his final illness. The nurseries were over the Queen's rooms; and the happy family life of the Royal couple was much celebrated by her subjects.

The Queen gave private audience to her Prime Ministers and other public figures in the Private Audience Room, a little high-ceilinged room in the south range, close to her tower, which had been decorated with some richness under Prince Albert's direction. She gave unofficial audiences, or saw her family or friends, in her sitting-room, and it was here that she sat at her desk writing her multitudinous, heavily underlined letters and reading the unofficial papers that came to her in mounting numbers of red boxes, until she was sometimes starting work at six in the morning.

State visits gave the whole castle a new function. Such visits were a new development. As in earlier centuries, kings and queens had not left their kingdoms, except in war, and did not entertain other kings or queens except as prisoners or by accident. Their palaces had no accommodation for them. By the turn of the 18th century, royalty had become more mobile. The first proper state visits to England were those of the Emperor of Russia and the King of Saxony to London in 1814. But Windsor Castle was an ideal venue in which to entertain and impress visiting royalty, and state visits to it became a feature of Victoria's and all subsequent reigns.

OSBORNE HOUSE - ISLE OF WIGHT

For Queen Victoria and Prince Albert, Osborne House was a haven of tranquillity, far from the formality of court life at Buckingham Palace and Windsor Castle. When they bought the building in 1845, it was a relatively small Georgian house. It was modified to accommodate the regent by Thomas Cubitt (see Buckingham Palace), who redesigned it in an Italianate style, contrary to the more common gothic style of the time. The gardens too were styled similarly by both Cubitt and Prince Albert. The completion of Osborne in 1851 coincided with the Great Exhibition, Prince Albert's greatest achievement, held in the Crystal Palace in Hyde Park.

The young royal couple, with their many children, embodied the family ideal and helped restore respect for the monarchy after the low esteem in which it was held under George IV and William IV. Although of necessity State affairs took place at Osborne, it was essentially a family holiday home. Shortly after her death, Edward VII gave Osborne House to the nation, one of the most evocative memorials to Britain's longest reigning monarch.

DIED - JANUARY 22, 1901 - OSBORNE HOUSE, ISLE OF WIGHT

BURIED - FROGMORE, WINDSOR

PRINCE ALBERT EDWARD
He was the son of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert.

He married Alexandria of Denmark.

They had two sons, Albert, the future Duke of Clarence and George, Prince George of Wales. Queen Victoria was their grandmother.

(The Prince and Princess of Wales, Albert Edward and Alexandra, with their new-born son, Albert Victor, 1864)

Edward and Victoria had two main residences where they raised their two boys:

MARLBOROUGH HOUSE
This was their London home.

(In its original form Marlborough House had just two storeys. This illustration of c.1750 shows the garden front)

(This view of the entrance front published in the 1850s before Pennethorne's additions shows an additional storey on the wings. The wings later gained a fourth main storey, and the central section gained a third)

(South side)

SANDRINGHAM HOUSE
Their country home.
(1880s)

PRINCE ALBERT VICTOR - THE DUKE OF CLARENCE

Heres two of the places where he lived at during his life, and his grave site.

BORN - JANUARY 8, 1864 - FROGMORE - WINDSOR, BERKSHIRE
He was born here at home.

He became the Duke of Clarence and Avondale and Earl of Athlone.

When the flu epidemic rolled through England it didn't matter if you were rich or poor. Eddy caught pneumonia and died at the age of 28.

DEAD EDDY

DIED - JANUARY 14, 1892 - SANDRINGHAM HOUSE - NORFOLK

BURIED - JANUARY 20, 1892
ALBERT MEMORIAL CHAPEL
ST. GEORGE'S CHAPEL - WINDSOR CASTLE