Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > Miscellaneous Media > Films and Film Reviews

Films and Film Reviews Forums for discussion of all kinds of movies, specific and in general, and for posting reviews of select films of interest

Old July 10th, 2008, 02:14 PM   #1
Gumshoe

Default 15 of the Best Movie Endings Ever

http://entertainment.timesonline.co....cle4302890.ece
Gumshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2008, 04:59 PM   #2
Ravenstone
Former Member

I agree with Some Like It Hot, but I'm surprised On Her Majesty's Secret Service isn't in that list. It chokes me up every time.

"She's just resting. She's very tired, you see. But it's alright. We have all the time in the world."

Old July 11th, 2008, 03:47 AM   #3
Mike Covell
Former Member

Se7en had a great ending, really enjoyed that and it was made even better with the release of the double disk which brightened the picture so you could see what was going on!

I loved Shawshank Redemption and it is one of my fave films.

The origional Planet of the Apes ending was great but the Tim Burton version was confusing! "Damn you Burton, Damn you to hell!"

The last 30 minutes of Rambo 4 are up there! Bad people do bad things to good people, enter Rambo, some one liners and bam bam bam bam bam booom, bam bam etc!

Momento was great and the DVD edition features an Easter Egg were you can watch the film in order!

Blair Witch also got me, especially when your mind is thinking back to the legends told at the begining of the movie! The sequal was bloody awful!

The ending to Sixth Sense was told to me before I watched it so I was quite miffed, but then told the person who spoilt it the ending to every film after that!!

Usual Suspects is a fantastic film, "Give me the keys you c$%k Sucker!"
It really had me going and was one of those rare films that when it's finished, you have to watch it again, and again!

I love E.T, I am a big kid at heart and watch it all the time, although I hate the newer release with loads of cgi tacked on! My children have yet to watch it, but I know when they do, they will love it as I did as a child!

Were was King Kong, Close Encounters, Back to the Future, all had decent endings.
Mike Covell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2008, 07:10 AM   #4
Glenn L Andersson
Former Member

Spielberg's Duel, I think, has a very good ending.
I also liked the ending of The Others, since it was rather unexpected (at least to me).

Personally, I think it's easier to list BAD movie endings, because there are loads of them.

I really hated the ending of Titanic - where people came back from the dead and stood and applauded the male and female main characters. It is one of the worst examples of sleazy Hollywood sentimentality I have ever seen and incredibly embarrasing. A shame that such a pathetic ending practically destroyed an otherwise beautifullly made movie.

Another ending that disappointed me - although not to that extent - was the ending of one of my favourite movies, Blair Witch Project (I certainly DON'T think it should be on the list at all of 'Best Movie Edings'). Somehow it ended in some kind of an anti-climax that didn't live up to the suspense earlier in the film and you never actually get to see anything either. Sometimes leaving things up to the viewer is a good thing but I dont think it worked particularly well in this film. At least it could have been done much better.

Another anti-climax ending I've seen was in The Village.

Just a few examples.
Old July 11th, 2008, 07:44 AM   #5
Robert Linford
Researcher Extraordinaire

Every "heart-warming drama" has a good ending. It doesn't matter what the ending is. The important thing is that they end.
Robert Linford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2008, 03:49 PM   #6
Joe Chetcuti
Former Member

The ending to "March of the Wooden Soldiers" is still my favorite.

It reminds me of the time when the English soldiers drove the invading Argentine army off the Falkland Islands.

Hey Mike, you mentioned the ending of King Kong. I've got a funny story about that movie's final scene to share with you!!
Old July 11th, 2008, 05:18 PM   #7
Joe Chetcuti
Former Member

Back in the 1960's, if you wanted to watch King Kong or many of the old time movies, you had to wait until one of your local tv stations broadcasted the film. There were no VCRs or DVDs back then. You sometimes had to wait a long time before they aired a movie that you really wanted to see again.

Well our neighbor who lived a half block from us was a huge King Kong fan, but at one point the poor guy had to wait for years before the film was re-broadcasted. Finally the big day came in 1969, and his beloved King Kong was shown by our local UHF station. Our neighbor threw a King Kong party on that day. I remember it was a Saturday afternoon.

I was only 6 years old at the time but I begged my older brothers to take me to the party. We went, and there was food, balloons, and everything. It was really a big deal for the host. But he was only interested in the final scene of the movie. He was having a lot of fun at his own party, but when the final scene came, he told everybody to pipe down because he had waited for years to see this great scene once more.

It was the first time I had ever seen the movie, so he was excited for me too. Well the big ape started climbing the Empire State Building, and all of a sudden the local tv station breaks into a "live commercial" at their studio!! The next thing you know, there is some sleazy Texan wearing a Stetson and trying to peddle a '62 Chevy on the tv audience. Our host just hit the roof!! His face turned red, and his blood pressure shot up like crazy.

Finally, the motor-mouthed car salesman ended his pitch and announced, "And now back to the exciting conclusion of our matinee feature... King Kong!"

But what had happened was that while the Texan was shooting off his mouth, the guy running the projector failed to stop the film!! They cut back to the movie right when King Kong was toppling down to the street! So all we saw was the ape climbing the building, a Texan selling a cheap car, and the poor ape tumbling down to earth. The End!!

This neighbor of mine blew his stack. He raced to the telephone and dialed up the tv station and chewed them out unmercifully. This was almost 40 years ago, and I still remember him hollering into the phone, "That was worse than raping the Queen of England!!" I don't think I knew what that meant back then, but I sure knew it wasn't nice!
Old July 13th, 2008, 09:33 AM   #8
Mike Covell
Former Member

I would have done the same as that poor guy!

I remember as a child being a bit upset because the TV had cut "Goonies" to shreds!

Beverley Hill's Cop had a scene were Eddie Murphy shout's "Mother flunker"!

And after watching Schwarzenegger in "Eraser" at the cinema and watching the sell thru release, which had the same certificate, but was highly edited!

Nothing to do with movie endings, but it was just as worse as raping "Ma'am!"
Old July 13th, 2008, 08:29 PM   #9
Dustin Gould
Former Member

From a sci-fi perspective, Predator 2 had a great ending. With Danny Glover gaining a victory over the Predator after taking the beating of his life. Then, just when you think it's over, a handfull more materialize out of the ship's walls. The look on Danny's face and the way he spoke that line was priceless. "Uh....Who's next?".

Just when you think they're going to finish him off, they let him live. And the coup de gras: They give him a 400 year-old pistol as a present. Which gives the viewer some insight, into not only how long they've been hunting earth, but that they actually have a degree of respect for their prey.
Old July 14th, 2008, 05:31 AM   #10
Mike Covell
Former Member

The ending to Predator 2 also had the Alien skull in shot which made the fans go crazy and in turn two sub standard movies were produced!

I like the end to Batman, and Batman Returns, and Batman Begins, when our hero is stood up high watching down. The musical crescendo then the end!