Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SPE
    • Feb 2009

Written & Red

I received my copy of Written & Red The Jack the Ripper Lectures by Robin Odell, Timezone Publishing Group, 2009, this morning.

It's a great read and an attractive publication for which we have Frogg Moody to thank. As a fan of Robin's since 1965 I was thrilled to see this.

• Chris G.
    • Apr 2006

Originally posted by SPE
    I received my copy of Written & Red The Jack the Ripper Lectures by Robin Odell, Timezone Publishing Group, 2009, this morning.

It's a great read and an attractive publication for which we have Frogg Moody to thank. As a fan of Robin's since 1965 I was thrilled to see this.

[ATTACH]6916[/ATTACH]
    Excellent, Stewart. Do you know what the selling price is? I am assuming that the sales receipts will go to the charity Children with Leukaemia for whom the late Jeremy Beadle worked, the book having been published (as I learned from you elsewhere) in connection with the Jeremy Beadle Lecture on "Jack the Redeemer" that Mr. Odell gave to the Whitechapel Society on Saturday, October 3 at the Aldgate Exchange.

Chris
    Christopher T. George, Lyricist & Co-Author, "Jack the Musical"
    https://www.facebook.com/JackTheMusical/ Hear sample song at https://tinyurl.com/y8h4envx.

Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conferences, April 2016 and 2018.
    Hear RipperCon 2016 & 2018 talks at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/.

Comment

• Howard Brown
      Registrar
      • Jul 2003

C.G.:

I've already ordered Mr. Odell's book (Occasionally, SPE has a good idea or two...and this one certainly was) from Loretta Lay. It cost me 26 Pounds...

Its a limited edition,C.G...they only produced 100 of them....but if people think about it...it might be a nice Yuletide gift for someone down the line and now's the best time to order.

It would be nice if more than just one or two of us on the Forums purchase the book. Mr. Odell is a real gentleman and a treasure trove of Ripper information, having been lucky to bend his ear a few years ago over on this side of the pond.

Thanks for mentioning it Mr. E !

Comment

• Howard Brown
        Registrar
        • Jul 2003

I recieved mine yesterday ( Number 31 of 100...).

There is a veritable gold mine of potential thread material in this wonderful book....such as the thought that went through my head from perusing it last night that there is as much joy in studying the Case & of course, enjoying reading the mystery/mysteries within and of the Case as well as trying to advance or improve the history of the WM as opposed to the singlemindedness of trying to solve a Case with many pieces still missing...or rather an "incomplete" case.

I sense that Mr. Odell was and fortunately still is one of the pioneers in the "new school" of Ripperology which focuses on the whole rather than one aspect ( a solution) of the WM.

Perhaps someone knows better...but I am having difficulty in recalling a Ripper author/researcher who had a book published...and did not specify someone as the culprit by name....that is, excluding Mr. Odell.

Is Mr. Odell the first author who, while suggesting a solution, did not give a name, but rather in his case...a possible occupation?

Comment

• Howard Brown
          Registrar
          • Jul 2003

Bump up in case someone has been able to purchase Mr. Odell's work.

If I get a chance..or maybe someone else whose initials are S-P-E gets a chance...we could bring up some ideas from Mr. Odell's career.

Here's one idea I had.

I've been wondering what would "Message Board" Ripperology would have been like today if Mr. Odell had been involved with it since the beginning of the 21st Century...or back when it all started a few years prior to 2001.

The reason why I mention this is that I think Mr. Odell would have been a significant influence on more of the cadre that became interested around that time.

I think more emphasis would have been on the type of killer and profession the Ripper was rather than focusing on some of the suspects we have now...if he had made the decision to present his tempered ideas on the Internet. Maybe not a lot more...but I think enough so in that Mr. Odell would have been featured in more documentaries and quoted from more to a similar extent as we do Messrs Begg & Evans now.

His shochet theory...still remains after 44 years a very viable consideration that has withstood the test of time and our field's relentless scrutiny. While other would-be's such as D'Onston and Ostrog and well....you name it...have dropped from the ranks...his ideas will undoubtedly be around for future Ripperologists for decades to come.

Comment

• Big Jon
            Researcher
            • Apr 2008

Been reading this over the last few days (picked up a copy at the conference) and I'm thoroughly enjoying it so far.

Well done to all involved!
            Jon

"It is far more comfortable to point a finger and declare someone a devil, than to call upon your imagination to try to understand their world."

http://www.jlrees.co.uk

Comment

Working...