• Jul 2003

Mrs. Pearcey & Mrs. Hogg

Story here :

Aberdeen Journal
    November 12, 1890
  • Curryong
    Inactive or Former Member
    • Sep 2014

Those drawings make Eleanor or Mary Pearcey a lot more goodlooking than the waxwork Madame Tussaud's once had of her. The wax Mary had remarkably prominent teeth and staring eyes! The mystery of 'Mrs' Pearcey is mostly in how stupid Phoebe Hogg was in visiting her for tea, especially as she obviously didn't trust her.

Comment

• Howard Brown
      Registrar
      • Jul 2003

Curryong:
      The one on the left is Mrs. Pearcey ( Piercey ? )....and the article accompanying the caricature noted she was a not unattractive woman.

The Wax linford, er, wax dummy, in Tussaud's has her looking like the Wicked Witch of The West, without the hat.

Comment

• Stan Reid
        • Mar 2008

Saturday is the 125th anniversary of the murder of Phoebe Hogg and her baby by Mary Pearcey. I think this is about the only 1890 murder that gets mentioned in the Ripper Case, mainly because Pearcey gets brought up in the Jill the Ripper theory.

Comment

• Stan Reid
          • Mar 2008

This coming Wednesday, December 23, is the 125th anniversary of the hanging of double murderer and Jill the Ripper candidate Mary Pearcey.

Comment

• Curryong
            • Sep 2014

Isn't there a book coming out shortly about Mary Pearcey, called 'The Woman at the Devil's Doorstep' or something? I noted last year it was being published and thought it would be a good read and then forgot about it.

Comment

• Howard Brown
              Registrar
              • Jul 2003

Curryong:

Yes, there is.
              Adam Wood's publishing firm has it

Mango Books offer nonfiction books for lovers of crime, detection and mystery.

Look for their forum on the front page, Curry...they sell more books you'll be interested in.

Comment

• Curryong
                • Sep 2014

Thank you Howard, I'll take a look. It seems interesting and I have been waiting for it. The big disadvantage of living in Australia and buying books is freight charges. It's heaven when books I want are on Amazon Kindle, but this doesn't seem the case with this book, so far!

Comment

• Jan Bondeson
                  • Jun 2013

There is a long feature from the Mrs Pearcey book in Ripperologist 146, pp. 15-29, in which it was said that the book would be out later in 2015. But it is still not available on UK Amazon, indicating that the book has been delayed.

Mrs Pearcey is of course featured in my 'Murder Houses of London' with a photo of the murder house and a rather spooky railway tunnel through which Mrs Pearcey wheeled her heavily laden perambulator. The Pearcey house was thought to be haunted a few years ago, and a nervous old woman who lived there arranged for an exorcism. When I had written a feature on 'London's Haunted Murder Houses' for Fortean Times magazine, they sent a photographer to take a better photo of it. He asked the householder of the ground-floor flat if there was any ghosts on the premises; there were not, he was assured. Perhaps Mrs Hogg and blameless little Tiggie have found peace.

Comment

I spoke to the author over the weekend and the book is in the final editing process and she expects it to be ready for release by the time she speaks at the Baltimore JtR Conference in April. Sarah has been working on this one for several years (myself and Martin Fido spoke to her on Rippercast 6 years ago) but she had to put it aside as she pursued her doctorate. Woman at the Devil's Door and Mango Books seems to me to be a really good match so I have no doubt our long wait will have been well worth it.

JM

Comment

• Curryong
                      • Sep 2014

That is good news, as it does sound a good read. It was a bit puzzling that the book had its own Facebook Page but no publishing date seemed to be with it. I have 'Murder Houses of London' on my Kindle, Jan, and very much enjoyed it.

Comment

Working...