Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > Weekly Caption Contest

Weekly Caption Contest Finally, a reason to look forward to Mondays! Contests end each Monday and a new one then begins for the week.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old May 13th, 2008, 03:53 PM   #1
admin tim

Arrow A Few Words About The Caption Contests

There has recently appeared some grumbling discontent concerning the outcome of several of the weekly caption contests. Let me elucidate:
  1. These contests are supposed to be fun and not taken too seriously. We certainly aren't intending to hurt anyone's feelings or discourage them from participating in any way.
  2. I select images from a wide variety of subjects, just to mix up the action and keep from being too repetitive. Obviously, some are more successful than others.
  3. Humor is subjective. What is side-splitting to you may not affect others in the same manner. British topical and cultural humor is always risky, since the judge is just a dumb Yank from Texas.
  4. Content is judged solely on its own merits, not by who submitted it.
  5. The best captions are brief (brevity is the soul of wit, y'know). The more verbiage there is, the less chance there is of it placing highly. Most of the time, anyway.
  6. Besides being brief, the best captions are also relevant and witty. For some excellent examples of such, refer to http://www.jtrforums.com/showthread.php?t=4666, #3 and http://www.jtrforums.com/showthread.php?t=4341&page=3, #21.
  7. Puns are okay, but must usually be bad to place highly. In fact, the more outrageous, the better.
  8. Some entries (such as merely mentioning a ripper suspect by name) are ambivalent and may be perceived (and judged) either as ripper-related or non ripper-related.
  9. Please do not post additional images in the contest thread, unless you are linking to another site such as photobucket.
  10. Keep it up - it gets better with practice. But don't be discouraged - the competition here is fierce and will only serve to improve your own game. On another site, I enter their weekly caption contest and have not even placed after 3 years of trying. BTW, that site only awards the top 5 captions, out of hundreds of entries each week. We prefer to recognize everyone who enters, although sometimes Howard gets upset when I do that. For some reason.
admin tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2008, 02:53 AM   #2
Caroline Brown
Author

Excellent post!

But shame on us that any of it needed to be said. Grumbling discontent in the ranks?

I know I would not want the job of judging all our little funnies every week.

Love,

Caz (grumble grumble mutter)
X
Caroline Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2008, 03:43 AM   #3
Chris G.

Hi Tim

Your remark about being a "dumb Yank from Texas" put me in mind of George Dubya.

I have a suggestion. When you give the awards, I suggest that both the picture could be reposted and the recognized winning captions could be published. If you just give a name and the placement we have to go back to research what the caption was, made more complicated when participating members have posted several captions.

All the best

Chris
For info about RipperCon in Baltimore, MD,
April 7-8, 2018, go to http://rippercon.com/
Chris G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2008, 02:12 PM   #4
Robert Linford
Researcher Extraordinaire

Has Howard been complaining again?

Bad show!

Play the game, Howard.
Robert Linford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2008, 06:33 PM   #5
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Other than the contests being rigged so that I lose or have to share ( God,what a terrible concept...!!) my rightful booty for winnin' with Saxon dogs like RCLinford...no,I ain't complaining.
Old June 27th, 2009, 12:07 PM   #6
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Some may notice that I removed about 250 threads on captions over the last three days. I saved 5,000 posts to an 8 gig thumb drive.....Manually.

I saved the attachments and captions...and most importantly,my entries in case anyone needs a quick witty quote for a book they may have in mind.

I am also copying a lot of threads that have not been used...but will be saved. True,they don't contain my terrific captions..but I will save 'em anyway.

This freed up a significant amount of bandwidth for the site.
Old June 27th, 2009, 12:13 PM   #7
String
innocent bystander & former captionmeister

I think it's a good idea How. Maybe keep them on dvd discs for posterity.
String is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2009, 12:50 PM   #8
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Thanks String....its a project that I must undertake.
Old June 27th, 2009, 04:11 PM   #9
Archaic
Former Member

Wink

Howie, what a sneaky way to give your own captions a chance to win by removing everybody else's...
however, I agree that there was no other way that was gonna happen.

Cheers, Archaic

PS: I like the idea that Chris had a while back, to post the original caption photo on the "Winner's Forum" with the week's winning captions. This will make it much easier to look them over, especially the longer caption threads, & especially for newcomers browsing the site, who may be so dazzled by JRTF's collective wit that they can't resisit joining.
Old June 27th, 2009, 04:35 PM   #10
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Archaic:

Listen,you old,but cool, coot...my middle name is Shifty...so what else do you expect me to do in order to lessen the humiliation of often coming in 4th when only 3 people enter the contests? My parents didn't raise an idiot.

Seriously, from now on...its up to you or Debbie and Carmine to set up a special thread for the winners. We'll see who comes in first the most at the end of June 2010. That will be me....bribed judges or not.