X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Howard Brown
    Registrar
    • Jul 2003

The impact on the Unfortunates of the East End and their children

The women headed out to Greenwich...........

Belfast Telegraph
    December 13, 1888
  • Anna Morris
    • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Howard Brown
    The women headed out to Greenwich...........

Belfast Telegraph
    December 13, 1888
    A long time ago I posted a slightly different little paragraph about unfortunates and their children from the East End going somewhere else to escape Jack.

If I remember correctly the point of the former article was about tenements outside London becoming somewhat crowded with the extra women and their children.
    The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

Comment

• Debra Arif
      Retired
      • Jan 2007

Catherine Eddowe's son Frederick William was born in Greenwich Infirmary and she was a regular in the workhouse there before 88. Greenwich workhouse and infirmary seem to have been on the casual ward tour routes of destitute men and women who also used the same facilities in Whitechapel, SGE etc.; women and men who needed to travel to pick up a days casual labour or made their living from hawking. Another place that comes up a few times in the casual ward records is Stratford. Eddowes also said she had just come from Stratford in a couple of her Newington casual ward entries and I think it was Annie Chapman who was also said to travel there frequently?

Comment

• Gary Barnett
        Former Member
        • Jan 2014

Since 1902 you've been able to walk from the Isle of Dogs to Greenwich through the foot tunnel. Worth trying once, provided you don't suffer from claustrophobia or a morbid fear of drowning.

Woolwich Foot Tunnel, London. Let's travel to the city of London and let's visit the Woolwich Foot Tunnel which crosses under the River Thames in Woolwich, i...

Comment

• Gary Barnett
          Former Member
          • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Debra Arif
          Catherine Eddowe's son Frederick William was born in Greenwich Infirmary and she was a regular in the workhouse there before 88. Greenwich workhouse and infirmary seem to have been on the casual ward tour routes of destitute men and women who also used the same facilities in Whitechapel, SGE etc.; women and men who needed to travel to pick up a days casual labour or made their living from hawking. Another place that comes up a few times in the casual ward records is Stratford. Eddowes also said she had just come from Stratford in a couple of her Newington casual ward entries and I think it was Annie Chapman who was also said to travel there frequently?
          I wonder why, Debs? It was a bit out of the way for Eastenders. Did it have a more relaxed regime perhaps?

Comment

• Edward Stow
            Permanently Banned Member
            • Dec 2012

I used to regularly use the foot tunnel - late at night.

The riverside district of Greenwich was the second most poverty stricken area in London according to Booth, with 65.2% living in poverty.
            Th worst district was in Southwark - just to the east of Waterloo Station - with 67.9%.
            The worst district in the East End was the western end of Bethnal Green at 58.7%.
            Whitechapel was a semi bourgeois 49.1%.

Comment

• Edward Stow
              Permanently Banned Member
              • Dec 2012

That's a poncy new lift they've installed.
              And there never used to be barriers to stop cyclists riding up and down.
              The lift used to stop quite early in the evening.

Comment

• Debra Arif
                Retired
                • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Gary Barnett
                I wonder why, Debs? It was a bit out of the way for Eastenders. Did it have a more relaxed regime perhaps?
                Hi Gary
                I would guess the occupation of 'hawker' that a lot of Eastenders were forced to follow through lack of regular employment or a trade or skill necessitated travel? Was it common with hawkers to spend summers doing field work and perhaps a stay at Greenwich reflected both of those occupations amongst a particular class of Eastender? A free night stop off on the way to Kent maybe? Woolwich and Stratford must have had some draw too.

Comment

• Gary Barnett
                  Former Member
                  • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Debra Arif
                  Hi Gary
                  I would guess the occupation of 'hawker' that a lot of Eastenders were forced to follow through lack of regular employment or a trade or skill necessitated travel? Was it common with hawkers to spend summers doing field work and perhaps a stay at Greenwich reflected both of those occupations amongst a particular class of Eastender? A free night stop off on the way to Kent maybe? Woolwich and Stratford must have had some draw too.
                  Yes, could be. The market may have been a draw for 'hawkers'.

Comment

• Gary Barnett
                    Former Member
                    • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Edward Stow
                    That's a poncy new lift they've installed.
                    And there never used to be barriers to stop cyclists riding up and down.
                    The lift used to stop quite early in the evening.
                    I haven't been to Greenwich for years, before the poncy lift was installed. The tunnel seems a lot busier than I remember it from the few times I've been through it. I've never been through it at night - not sure I'd fancy it.

The southern tip of the Isle of Dogs was once known as North Greenwich, apparently.

Comment

• Sean Crundall
                      • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Gary Barnett
                      I haven't been to Greenwich for years, before the poncy lift was installed. The tunnel seems a lot busier than I remember it from the few times I've been through it. I've never been through it at night - not sure I'd fancy it.

The southern tip of the Isle of Dogs was once known as North Greenwich, apparently.
                      Hi Gary,

Early morning the tunnel is full of cyclists.

Tabram's husband, Henry, lived in North Greenwich in 1888. I recall that other Tabram's also lived in Greenwich from the 1890's onwards. I also vaguely recall (from research carried out years ago) that somebody connected with the case (I can't remember who) married at St Alfege's church in Greenwich.

My regards,

Sean.

Comment

• Gary Barnett
                        Former Member
                        • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Sean Crundall
                        Hi Gary,

Early morning the tunnel is full of cyclists.

Tabram's husband, Henry, lived in North Greenwich in 1888. I recall that other Tabram's also lived in Greenwich from the 1890's onwards. I also vaguely recall (from research carried out years ago) that somebody connected with the case (I can't remember who) married at St Alfege's church in Greenwich.

My regards,

Sean.
                        Hi Sean,

When you say Henry Tabram lived in North Greenwich, do you mean north of the river?

Regards,

Gary

Comment

• Sean Crundall
                          • Nov 2015

Hi Gary,

Apologies. Henry lived at River Terrace, East Greenwich, the location of which is not too far from the modern North Greenwich Tube Station, Greenwich peninsula.

My regards,

Sean.

Comment

• Gary Barnett
                            Former Member
                            • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Sean Crundall
                            Hi Gary,

Apologies. Henry lived at River Terrace, East Greenwich, which is not too far from the modern North Greenwich Tube Station, Greenwich peninsula.

My regards,

Sean.
                            Ah, yes, that now sounds familiar. If he'd been from the Isle of Dogs, it would've stuck in my mind.

Cheers,

Gary

Comment

• Sean Crundall
                              • Nov 2015

Hi Gary,

By the way, love the Harrison/Barber logo!

My regards,

Sean

Comment

Working...