Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > 2009 Ripper Conference In The U.K.

2009 Ripper Conference In The U.K. Thread/Forum for the discussion of the much anticipated October event.

Old October 27th, 2009, 06:29 AM   #21
ferret
Former Member

He he Hi Jeff!- Good one!

Hope the clever stuff with the filming going OK- well done you!

Suz x
Old October 27th, 2009, 07:20 AM   #22
Big Jon
Researcher

The welsh connection gets my vote!

"It is far more comfortable to point a finger and declare someone a devil, than to call upon your imagination to try to understand their world."

http://www.jlrees.co.uk

Big Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2009, 07:56 AM   #23
ferret
Former Member

Hey Jon
Jeff's just asked a question about your speaker interviews on the other thread
Suz x
Old October 28th, 2009, 04:16 AM   #24
Chris G.
Editor,Ripperologist Magazine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris G. View Post
I don't have my copy of Stewart P. Evans and Keith Skinner's JtR Letters from Hell with me but I should think there almost certainly were JtR letters sent from Belfast. Certainly there were letters sent from Dublin, and probably elsewhere in Ireland. Speaking to Stewart today, he thought there was a link between Parnell and the Fenians involved in the Phoenix Park murders.

Anyone for a talk on the similarity of the knives used in those 1884 political crimes and the Ripper murders and the whole idea of a Irish nationalist conspiracy to commit the Whitechapel crimes to shame the British government?

Of course there's Alan Sharp's London Correspondence: Jack the Ripper and the Irish Press.

The idea of W. T. Stead going down on the Belfast-built Titanic could be the basis of a talk on Stead and White Slavery.

It's perhaps not well known that Stead's accusation that Jews were to blame for prostitution in the East End led in 1885 to enlightened Anglo-Jews such as Constance Rothschild, Lady Battersea (1843-1931) forming the Jewish Association for the Protection of Girls and Women (JAPGW).

The JAPWG was the liberal Jewish establishment's response to Stead's anti-White Slavery campaign and was created to fight those elements who exploited recently arrived Eastern European females and forced them into prostitution or sent them on to brothels in North and South America. This is something I cover in my upcoming book, A to Z of Jack the Ripper and the Jews: Aarons to Zverieff.

Chris
Baron Russell of Killowen (1832-1900), defense counsel for Florence Maybrick and also Attorney General under Gladstone, was born in Newry and lived in the Rostrevor area of Northern Ireland, in the Mountains of Mourne. If we ran a bus tour down there, I could also show folks the monument on the shoreline of Carlingford Lough to Major General Robert Ross who burned the White House in 1814.

Chris
http://www.ripperologist.biz
http://blog.casebook.org/chrisgeorge
For info about RipperCon, in Baltimore, MD,
April 8-10, 2016, go to http://rippercon.com/
Chris G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2011, 12:45 AM   #25
George Lorton
Former Member

Too cool for school

I, for one wish I had made that conference as it is not often that two of my interests collide like this. Titanic and Jack The Ripper meet up, fancy that.

Of course it is second hand I guess unless the real JTR was actually on the Titanic when it sank. Now there is a thought or theory that I thought (lol) that I would throw out there. Wish I had seen this a whole lot sooner.
Old July 2nd, 2011, 04:47 AM   #26
George Hutchinson
Author & East End Authority Figure

George - I'm only commenting on your post without seeing if you're referring to anything else but - it never happened. There has not been a Conference in Belfast. This year's one is being held by the Whitechapel Society 1888 in London and there's more speakers than you can shake a walking stick with a demon head at.

PHILIP
Old July 2nd, 2011, 06:29 AM   #27
Paul Kearney A.K.A. NEMO
Theorist & Speculator

You're in luck George, I think a Belfast conference is planned for next year
Paul Kearney A.K.A. NEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2011, 08:29 AM   #28
George Lorton
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Hutchinson View Post
George - I'm only commenting on your post without seeing if you're referring to anything else but - it never happened. There has not been a Conference in Belfast. This year's one is being held by the Whitechapel Society 1888 in London and there's more speakers than you can shake a walking stick with a demon head at.

PHILIP
Thank You, I wondered why I never heard anything of the said conference on the Titanic forums. Now I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo View Post
You're in luck George, I think a Belfast conference is planned for next year
Thanks Nemo for the information. Hopefully I can save up my pennies for that.