Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > 2013 Ripper Conference In The U.K.

Old November 16th, 2013, 02:49 PM   #101
Monty
Author, Researcher, God.

Hey Paul,

I need to be clear that the main reason is identification. Just that it may not be to sole reason.

Monty

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Co-Author of Sir Howard Vincent's Police Code 1889

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Howard-Vince.../dp/0993180604
Monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2013, 06:06 AM   #102
Chris G.
Editor,Ripperologist Magazine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo View Post
Thanks Neil

I think the police would be taking a lot upon themselves in the case of Kosminski, attempting to interpret the reaction of a man classed as insane

The reaction of the suspect would also appear to have no legal value whether the witness acknowledged the suspect or not
Also for me the other big problem with Anderson's characterization of the way the identification at the seaside home went down is that it didn't take any allowance of the dynamics of the Jewish community. In other words, for example, the suspect and the man being asked to make the identification may have known each other but not because they had seen each other in Aldgate on the fateful night. The witness may have been unwilling to admit to that previous association, not wanting to complicate things further, so he just said that he didn't know the man.
http://www.ripperologist.biz
http://blog.casebook.org/chrisgeorge
For info about RipperCon, in Baltimore, MD,
April 8-10, 2016, go to http://rippercon.com/
Chris G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2013, 07:59 AM   #103
Paul Kearney A.K.A. NEMO
Theorist & Speculator

Thanks Neil

I don't really understand what type of protocol was in place for the use of a line up type of ID or confrontational type

There is obviously a major difference between the two types of ID

Was it that in the case of Kosminski the police were satisfied he was the criminal and were not really concerned whether the ID was positive or not, them only seeking a reaction from the suspect, Kosminski, in being confronted by a man who in their eyes certainly saw him just prior to Eddowes' murder, and that Lawende stated he resembled the man was a bit of a bonus?
Paul Kearney A.K.A. NEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2013, 01:22 PM   #104
Trevor Marriott
Author & Researcher

Quote:
Thanks Neil

I don't really understand what type of protocol was in place for the use of a line up type of ID or confrontational type

Was it that in the case of Kosminski the police were satisfied he was the criminal and were not really concerned whether the ID was positive or not, them only seeking a reaction from the suspect, Kosminski, in being confronted by a man who in their eyes certainly saw him just prior to Eddowes' murder, and that Lawende stated he resembled the man was a bit of a bonus?
If you are suggesting Lawende was the witness then why weren't the City police aware of this, why is is not recorded anywhere? and as Lawende was a city witness whyy did the Met purportedly carry out this ID.

Nothing in this adds up and why because it never happened. Anderson made it all up in his book and as to Swansons contribution i wont even go there !
Trevor Marriott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2013, 03:47 PM   #105
Monty
Author, Researcher, God.

Quote:
Thanks Neil

Hey Paul,

As Jon points out, confrontation identification is the least preferable for the very reason he states, it alludes to guilt on the part of the witness, which in the case of the seaside home it did.

To obtain a more sound I D, to aid a prosecution, a line up was preferable, so the question is why did this not occur?

My only conclusion, or conclusions are -

1) They knew prosecution was out of the question, possibly due to the suspects state of mind, so sort clarification for peace of mind.

Or

2) They were trying to initiate a confession.

The witness, whoever he was, refused to identify him which indicates he (the witness) was under the impression a trial may take place. If the suspect was of sound mind this is true, if not then there's no concern....unless the suspect had the potential to make a recovery.

There are many issues concerning this I D. And it is frustrating as we do not hold the full details. We could, and in fact have, go around in circles on this one.

I fear this thread shall be hijacked, so I do not wish to comment anymore on the matter, I do not wish to detract from the conference and Jons excellent talk.

Monty

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Co-Author of Sir Howard Vincent's Police Code 1889

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Howard-Vince.../dp/0993180604
Monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2013, 04:35 PM   #106
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

I fear this thread shall be hijacked, so I do not wish to comment anymore on the matter, I do not wish to detract from the conference and Jons excellent talk.
-Neil Bell-

No fear, Monty...thanks for the concern.
If someone would like to set up a thread regarding the matter being discussed, please do.
Back to the 2013 Convention thread....
Old November 17th, 2013, 04:46 PM   #107
Tom_Wescott
Researcher and Award Winning Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty
You must be as psychic as Abberline. How did you know I was about to hijack this thread?

I just wanted to say that the discussion occurring here in response to Big Jon's talk has been worthwhile, particularly observations from Monty and Nemo. I wanted to suggest to Jon that he consider molding his talk into an article and incorporating some of these thoughts on how his data could apply to the identification attempt of Kozminski and perhaps other episodes in the case, such as the Tower parades in the Tabram murder and the Violenia debacle in the Chapman case. Publish that baby in Rip and it would be a good reference piece for the rest of us. Just a friendly suggestion.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
Tom_Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2013, 05:19 PM   #108
Paul Kearney A.K.A. NEMO
Theorist & Speculator

Yes, sorry about the thread

I'll contribute to the discussion elsewhere

Thanks again Neil

Jon has published the text of his talk online which I think will be good for initiating an interesting thread on the subject
Paul Kearney A.K.A. NEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2013, 05:37 PM   #109
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Neems, Neil, Tom....

http://www.jtrforums.com/showthread....497#post220497

In case folks care to carry on with the discussion, check out the new thread.