Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > 2014 Ripper Conference In The U.K.

Old December 20th, 2014, 08:02 AM   #1161
Mr. Poster
Twit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
I have it on very good authority that Darren is one of Russell's long-time best friends and came along because he's interested in the subject, even to the point of wanting his photo taken with me! I don't think he came along as security, just as a mate because Russell's wife has absolutely no interest in the subject.
I wonder where teh notion came from that he had brought along "heavies"?

It was circulating for a while but I cannot find a source for it.

p
"Chance hasn't yet peached on Jack the Ripper.If she ever does, it will probably be cause for grotesque disappointment among the Ripperologists, who get as much joy from attacking one another's lunacies, as from any problems originally posed by the Whitechapel murderer" R. Gowers, The Independant, Saturday, 31 December 1994
Mr. Poster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2014, 08:18 AM   #1162
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Poster View Post
I wonder where teh notion came from that he had brought along "heavies"?

It was circulating for a while but I cannot find a source for it.

p
I don't know where it started. Maybe on Facebook. I don't blame people for thinking it, they were big guys.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2014, 08:31 AM   #1163
Big Jon
Researcher

Quote:
I don't know where it started. Maybe on Facebook. I don't blame people for thinking it, they were big guys.
I know several people felt intimidated by them.

"It is far more comfortable to point a finger and declare someone a devil, than to call upon your imagination to try to understand their world."

http://www.jlrees.co.uk

Big Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2014, 10:18 AM   #1164
JMenges
Former Member

Quote:
John Bennett and I will silently walk away, our heads hung low, tears puddling the ground, hit by the knowledge that our efforts were just so much chopped liver. sniff. We are numbered now among the forgotten, victims of an unforgiving world....
Sorry, Paul. That's why I prefaced it with "that I can think of" as I posted that from work, a place sorely lacking in shelves full of Jack the Ripper books to pull for reference.

JM
JMenges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2014, 12:07 PM   #1165
Caroline Morris
Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Barnett View Post
I had just spent 18 of my hard earned money on the book, based on a TV interview where RE assured the interviewer that Kos was 'definitely' JTR. The interviewer offered 'probably' and was immediately slapped down by RE. He insisted it was DEFINITELY - the science proved it. I had also heard a radio interview with Jari in which, although he wasn't as bullish as his colleague, he didn't exactly rock the boat. And he certainly didn't let on that RE's certainty may have been based upon an error in the science.
Ah, I can now see why taking the piss out of absent authors and scientists on a message board might feel like some consolation for having had the piss - along with 18 - taken in the first place. Caveat emptor, anyone?

Love,

Caz
X
Old December 20th, 2014, 12:44 PM   #1166
Caroline Morris
Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Nelson View Post
Science is a series of approximations. The series of approximations are based on assumptions, some good, some not so good. As an engineer, I make judgments all the time based on empirical data. Is the data valid? I think so, otherwise, I wouldn't risk making conclusions that I do. But, like it or not, science (fallible) progresses by such means -- a series of what may be erroneous assumptions. You correct yourself after the error(s) are apparent based on the incorrect assumptions you made, and carry on. No real fault -- that's just the normal process of inquiry.

--back to my pints of ale...
Absolutely right, Scotty. Science involves experimenting and a good scientist will never claim that the time for experimentation is over.

Love,

Caz
X
Old September 7th, 2015, 08:57 AM   #1167
JMenges
Former Member

Default Sarah Wise's talk is available as a podcast

Link to Sarah Wise's Gaslight Stories - Tales from the Victorian Lunatic Asylum as presented to the Whitechapel Society 1888's Conference in Salisbury, 2014.

http://www.casebook.org/podcast/listen.html?id=114

www.sarahwise.co.uk

www.whitechapelsociety.com

JM
JMenges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2015, 09:11 AM   #1168
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Thanks JM.
Touch base tomorrow or Wednesday, okay ? Too busy today...I have to take you know who out.