Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > Politicians & Clergy During The Whitechapel Murders

Politicians & Clergy During The Whitechapel Murders From Whitehall to Whitechapel....the contemporary politicians during the reign of The Ripper., as well as the views of religious representatives.

Old October 27th, 2015, 05:29 PM   #1
Anna Morris

Default Finchley: Magdalen Asylums~Fallen Women & Prisoners

Bridget Kelly was released in 1885 on provisional license from prison, to "Finchley", a Roman Catholic establishment that was a founding part of the magdalen movement which aided "Fallen women".

The correct name for the home in Finchley was Refuge of the Good Shepherd, located East Finchley N2. (There were sister establishments in Hammersmith as well as Limerick and Cardiff.)

According to information Debra A. has provided, Bridget Kelly was sent back to prison in January 1886 because she did not so work assigned to her at the refuge.

The system at the Refuge was complex. She may have been booted for not working but she could also have been deemed as not responding to the system.

(It didn't attach. Maybe it's too long though it doesn't look like it.)

I first thought to start this thread with a fast overview of the system but quickly found there needs to be quite a bit of study to really understand. A short comment would be there was this refuge where Roman Catholic women could go for refuge and asylum and they could stay as long as they wanted. Some stayed the rest of their lives. The goal of the magdalen movement was to help fallen women to rehabilitate, or rather, transform themselves for a closer relationship with God.

Having learned what I can about workhouses and the like, I am thoroughly surprised to see such establishments as this in the same place at the same time.

I will attach (I hope, unless it's too long) a list on which Finchley appears along with other similar efforts in the area. I think this is a good resource to further our knowledge of the times. The source for this list is www.childrenshomes.org.uk . Considering it appears Bridget Kelly's 5 month old son may have died, it appears at this time, of starvation, neglect and a few other items of depravation, it is surprising to see some of the options available. Perhaps they were always filled to capacity?

Last edited by Anna Morris; October 27th, 2015 at 05:30 PM. Reason: addition...
Anna Morris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2015, 05:41 PM   #2
Anna Morris

List cut into four parts...That doesn't work either. Now the system says I have done a duplicate post, but nothing is showing up...

Last edited by Anna Morris; October 27th, 2015 at 05:45 PM. Reason: addition
Anna Morris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2015, 05:42 PM   #3
Gary Barnett

Anna,

An English (i.e. non-Catholic) Magdalen Home was established in the East End, near Leman Street, in 1758. Magdalen Passage runs through its former site.

Gary

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  83.7 KB
Gary Barnett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2015, 05:47 PM   #4
Anna Morris

Thanks, Gary. That's another dimension. What I found so far was RC, about Finchley and what it might have been like for Bridget Kelly.
Old October 28th, 2015, 12:24 AM   #5
Roy Corduroy
Researcher

Thanks, Anna,

Good Shepherd, erected in 1866 on East End Road, Finchley was a large facility housing 170 women and 80 young girls.

Name:  FinchleyConvent.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  171.9 KB

And yes as Debs explained, prisoners could be released here towards the end of their sentence. Like a halfway house, but Bridget failed the conditions. And yes the women operated a laundry to defray the cost of room and board, a common practice.

It mostly burned down in the 1970's but a small portion of the original remains.

Name:  368-F.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  70.5 KB
Roy Corduroy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2015, 03:10 AM   #6
Debra Arif
Sausage brain

Nice pictures. Thanks Gary and Roy.
Debra Arif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2015, 03:35 AM   #7
Debra Arif
Sausage brain

First class prisoners only were released to the Refuge, East End, Finchley to serve the last 9 months of their sentences. There was the Westminster Memorial Refuge, Streatham, for Protestant prisoners also. Both places were authorised by the Secretary of State.
Debra Arif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2015, 09:24 AM   #8
Robert Linford
Researcher Extraordinaire

Here's the reference for 91 if anyone wants to search :
Attached Images

Robert Linford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2015, 12:03 PM   #9
Anna Morris

From the business perspective the laundry helped pay the way. From the spiritual perspective the work was part of the spiritual transformation. Work drew the women closer to God. Imagine how a tough street girl like Bridget may have responded to that idea.

There is a recent article that touches on what is left of Finchley and I will attach that picture along with a contemporary description of the refuge.
Attached Images

Old February 22nd, 2017, 02:34 PM   #10
Anna Morris

This was in regards to Bridget Kelly and prison release. Finchley had French connexions which might pertain to French Catholics and MJK though we have no reason to believe MJK had anything to do with Finchley, so far as I know.