Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > Upcoming Events In Ripperology

Upcoming Events In Ripperology From books to films, individual projects to Conventions...all events in the near future in the world of Ripper research and of interest to the community.

Old July 19th, 2017, 06:42 AM   #31
String
innocent bystander & former captionmeister

I must watch this out of curiosity, same as the Earhart thing. Do they do the usual stunt of repeating the same sequences throughout the programme as filler?
String is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2017, 02:45 PM   #32
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

I believe the program is going to veer into the letters next week.

Its now being suggested that Holmes sent the 'Philadelphia' letter in October 1888.
Remember that the letter below was in the possession of the police, not 'an acquaintance'.....and the salutation is 'Honorably Sir'.
Its pretty scary how this series is going.

Letter from Holmes to an acquaintance, mentioning London, and JTR:

"286
October 1888
Philadelphia

(Illegible)

I take great pleasure in giving you my whereabouts for the benefit of the Scotland Yard Boys. I am very sorry that I did not have time to finish my work with the London (Whores?) and report-no- state that I must have them alone for a short while. I am now safe in New York and will travel now to Philadelphia and when I have the lay of the locality I might take a notion to do a little ripping there. Good bye dear friend. I will let you hear from me before long walk a little more Cutting & Ripping I said #0 and I fancy I will make it 40(?) on account of the slight delay in operations.

Yours Lovingly

“JACK”
the ripper"
Old July 20th, 2017, 12:13 AM   #33
Beth Bennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by String View Post
I must watch this out of curiosity, same as the Earhart thing. Do they do the usual stunt of repeating the same sequences throughout the programme as filler?
They haven't so far, except for throwing in shots of JtR's hands pulling out bloody body parts. They have shown that several times in the second episode. They did have great, albeit too short, interviews with experts on JtR.

Edited to add: They depict Jack attacking Mary Nichols, whom they say was definitely the first Whitechapel murder (Otherwise, the timing would have been off for Holmes to be JtR). They also did the same for the second through the fourth women murdered. In these depictions, I actually laughed, because the prostitutes are dressed in really nice Victorian dresses, with lots of nice pearl jewelry, etc. It was so off in the way they would have dressed. One even had beautiful fitted leather gloves that matched her outfit.

Last edited by Beth Bennett; July 20th, 2017 at 12:23 AM. Reason: Addition to post.
Beth Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2017, 09:21 AM   #34
Michael Banks

I feel compelled to watch this at some point but you guys aren't increasing my enthusiasm levels much!

Regards
Michael
Michael Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2017, 05:58 PM   #35
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Mike:

You've missed nothing.
Instead of focusing on Holmes' criminal career ( Which, on second thought,might not be a good idea....as Adam Selzer would produce a far better and more factual account )....they've wasted three episodes on bupkes.

Zero. Nothing.
Old July 26th, 2017, 10:38 PM   #36
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Roll up your pant legs for the following found in today's Daily Mirror...attributed to Mudgett

Did Jack the Ripper escape London to carrying on his brutal killings in Yorkshire?
"He went to one of the best greatest medical schools of the time. He was a chemist, a pharmacist. He had a building that was designed to remove the remains of the victims.

"He had one of the highest IQs ever recorded
, only this man decided to use it for evil. I think history needs to study his words more closely. I think we could prevent another serial killer in future and stop future mass murderers."

As part of his work Jeff has managed to get the body of his great-great-grandfather exhumed in a bid to crack another theory about the murderous reign of HH Holmes. Records state that he was hanged on May 7, 1896, at Moyamensing Prison and buried in a concrete coffin - at his own request to prevent grave robbers.

But some claim the killer escaped the executioner's noose and was given a new life to rid America of his murderous reign. Jeff is in the process of getting the remains tested to prove the body contained is that of his 'monster' relative.

He added: "If it's not his body then that would be for us to consider another investigation. There are conspiracy theories that he went to South America. If it's not him in the grave that would mean he would have been given a blank cheque to start a new life elsewhere.

"Hundreds of people would have had to have been involved in this.
The number of people to make this conspiracy work would have made it harder and harder.

"But if it is true that he was allowed to escape, the man wouldn't have changed, he would have taken other victims across the world."

Jeff said he first started investigating his great-great-grandfather when he found out who he was - much to the dismay of his relatives.

He said his grandmother had been told her relation had been hanged for stealing a horse and she should perhaps "let sleeping dogs lie" and remembers a family dinner when his grandfather said the name of Holmes should never be mentioned again.

Jeff said now most of his family are supportive of his investigation.

He added: "Everyone was quite upset. They liked the idea of trying to hide from it."

"Rather than my ancestor being this vicious monster, I decided my destiny was to identify his victims that most of history and the justice system had decided to forget about."

There have been numerous theories about the true identity of Jack the Ripper. Historian Mike Covell has previously claimed that the Ripper was actually a criminal called Fred Deeming who emigrated to Australia and repeatedly got in trouble for fraud. While Richard Patterson has claimed that the true identity of the Ripper was poet Francis Thompson .
Old July 26th, 2017, 11:23 PM   #37
Cris Malone
Historian

Well at least they didn't find any of Mudgett's DNA on the shawl. The expert lady in the lab coat said it would have solved it all if they had. Nevermind the provenance of the rag itself. Experts can't be bothered with such insignificant things. Besides, the only people harping on such things are those selfish Ripperologists who don't want the mystery solved anyway.
"Objectivity comes from how the evidence is treated, not the nature of the evidence itself. Historians can be just as objective as any scientist."
Cris Malone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2017, 06:11 AM   #38
Paul

Did they find any blood on the shawl at all?
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2017, 08:26 AM   #39
Cris Malone
Historian

They didn't say. There was little detail discussed at all except that DNA from patriarchal lineage was a more likely link than matriarchal. Nothing was mentioned about Kosminski either.

The really laughable moment is when they had another "expert" computer programmer do a composite from 13 so-called witnesses of Jack the Ripper and they came up with a 30ish man with a moustache and a hat and put H. H. Holmes' photo beside it. Mudgett said that if this was presented to a judge an arrest warrant would have been issued.

Uncanny that a late nineteenth century man would have a moustache and wear a hat?
"Objectivity comes from how the evidence is treated, not the nature of the evidence itself. Historians can be just as objective as any scientist."
Cris Malone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2017, 10:39 AM   #40
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

The series is a real blemish...like one of Linford's boils.
Its "anti-Ripperology".