Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > Persons Of Interest or Actual Suspects > James Maybrick > The Maybrick Diary Forum

The Maybrick Diary Forum Restricted forum for any and all discussion pertaining to the Maybrick Diary.

Old June 12th, 2012, 11:21 AM   #11
Paul Butler
Who?

Hi Caroline.

I don't think The Times gave a toss either way about the diary. They were after a cheap sensational headline, and the easiest thing to do was to cry fake. I expect it also made them feel better after the Hitler diary fiasco. The articles themselves don't quite live up to the certainties of the headlines do they.

Whatever did Robert Smith think he was doing when he offered the diary to The Times of all the papers he could choose?!!

I still think there are pretty solid reasons to think that the copy of Maybrick's will used for comparison wasn't written by him anyway.

Of course, we now have several reliable examples of Maybrick's normal handwriting and they don't match either, (except perhaps with the signature in the back of the watch ).

Regards.

Paul
Paul Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2012, 11:40 AM   #12
Chris G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Butler View Post
Hi Caroline.

I don't think The Times gave a toss either way about the diary. They were after a cheap sensational headline, and the easiest thing to do was to cry fake. I expect it also made them feel better after the Hitler diary fiasco. The articles themselves don't quite live up to the certainties of the headlines do they.

Whatever did Robert Smith think he was doing when he offered the diary to The Times of all the papers he could choose?!!

I still think there are pretty solid reasons to think that the copy of Maybrick's will used for comparison wasn't written by him anyway.

Of course, we now have several reliable examples of Maybrick's normal handwriting and they don't match either, (except perhaps with the signature in the back of the watch ).

Regards.

Paul
Hi Paul

As Caz indicates, the appearance of the Maybrick Diary, regardless of its merits or demerits, came too soon after the Hitler diary fiasco. So it was easier for The Times to treat the Diary as a fake rather than take it seriously.

Chris
For info about RipperCon in Baltimore, MD,
April 7-8, 2018, go to http://rippercon.com/
Chris G. is offline   Reply With Quote