Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > Persons Of Interest or Actual Suspects > James Maybrick > The Maybrick Diary Forum

The Maybrick Diary Forum Restricted forum for any and all discussion pertaining to the Maybrick Diary.

Old August 27th, 2012, 11:42 AM   #11
Chris Scott
Author & Researcher

the last para reads:
"I enclose (to) you a letter from the Baroness but you must take no notice of the P.S. (postscript)
Chris Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2012, 11:45 AM   #12
Chris G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_w_r View Post
Sir Bob,

A first attempt - does any of this sound good to you? It might not all be right.

4th March 1881

Dear Sir,

Thanks for your letter of 27 ult. which I just [...] on the point of writing. In looking at the Baroness Correspondence I do not find that Mr Randall has made any positive offer but I am inclined to [...] [...] to Mr [...] p[...] but I will be glad to hear from you until any [...] offer he may make.

I enclose you a letter from the Baroness but you had better [...] of the P.S.

In haste,

Yours truly,

Jas Maybrick

Atrocious writing. Here's my attempt which might take us a bit further down the road. . . .

4th March 1881

Dear Sir,

Thanks for your letter of 27 ult. which I just receieved on the point of sailing [?]. In looking over the Baroness's correspondence I do not find that Mr Randall has made any positive offer [?] but I am inclined to remain firm to our original proposal but I will be glad to hear from you until offer [deleted] any counter offer offer he may make.

I enclose you a letter from the Baroness but you must [?] take no notice of the P.S.

In haste,

Yours truly,

Jas Maybrick

While I am not a supporter of the Maybrick Diary, I will play devil's advocate and note that this letter, admittedly written in haste by the real James Maybrick, contains some bad English akin to some of the passages that Gareth pointed out in the Diary transcript: "remain firm to our original proposal" and "I enclose you a letter".

Cheers

Chris
For info about RipperCon in Baltimore, MD,
April 7-8, 2018, go to http://rippercon.com/
Chris G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2012, 11:52 AM   #13
SirRobertAnderson
Researcher / Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris G. View Post
While I am not a supporter of the Maybrick Diary, I will play devil's advocate and note that this letter, admittedly written in haste by the real James Maybrick, contains some bad English very much akin to some of the passages that Gareth pointed out in the Diary transcript, "I enclose you a letter" and (if I am correct in interpreting the lousy handwriting) "you had better take a note of".
My Socratic method is working its diabolic powers on you Chris. All I want to do is suggest that this letter and the Blucher one show Maybrick wasn't a man of letters....and they aren't miles away from the language of the Diarist.
SirRobertAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2012, 11:55 AM   #14
Paul Kearney A.K.A. NEMO
Theorist & Speculator

4th March 1881

Dear Sir,

Thanks for your letter of 27 ulto which I just [received?] on the point of writing. In looking at the Baroness Correspondence I do not find that Mr Randall has made any positive offer but I am inclined to remain firm to our original proposal but I will be glad to hear from you until any counter offer he may make.

I enclose you a letter from the Baroness but you (should?) take no notice of the PS

In haste,

Yours truly,

Jas Maybrick
Paul Kearney A.K.A. NEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2012, 12:02 PM   #15
Chris G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirRobertAnderson View Post
My Socratic method is working its diabolic powers on you Chris. All I want to do is suggest that this letter and the Blucher one show Maybrick wasn't a man of letters....and they aren't miles away from the language of the Diarist.
Hi Bob

Well I have remarked before that the Diary rings a duff note to me rather than it ringing true as a bell -- like the bells of St. Mary's Whitechapel or St. James's Piccadilly perhaps -- nonetheless, if there is exculpatory evidence that might indicate that the Diary is the real McCoy I think it needs to be discussed along with the evidence that might indicate it is either an old or recent hoax.

All the best

Chris
Old August 27th, 2012, 12:06 PM   #16
Paul Kearney A.K.A. NEMO
Theorist & Speculator

I'd agree Robert, that the Blucher letter does sound grammatically a bit like the diary, but that the diary reflects known documentation from Maybrick is not that surprising or significant is it?
Paul Kearney A.K.A. NEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2012, 12:15 PM   #17
SirRobertAnderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo View Post
I'd agree Robert, that the Blucher letter does sound grammatically a bit like the diary, but that the diary reflects known documentation from Maybrick is not that surprising or significant is it?
"The ‘Dear Blucher’ letter can be seen in National Archives in Kew, (reference HO 144/1639/A50678/29). The letter is not the original letter, but was copied from the original by a clerk as part of the material being prepared for the Florence Maybrick trial."

Was it introduced at trial? Serious question - I don't know the answer. I know that the Kew archives were opened after the normal 100 years - but when was that?
Old August 27th, 2012, 01:52 PM   #18
Chris G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirRobertAnderson View Post
"The ‘Dear Blucher’ letter can be seen in National Archives in Kew, (reference HO 144/1639/A50678/29). The letter is not the original letter, but was copied from the original by a clerk as part of the material being prepared for the Florence Maybrick trial."

Was it introduced at trial? Serious question - I don't know the answer. I know that the Kew archives were opened after the normal 100 years - but when was that?
Hi Robert

If you have not already done so, it might benefit you to look at the treatise on the Maybrick Case by Alexander Macdougall (1891), which is available on line in various forms. Macdougall was one of Florence Maybrick's post-trial defenders and gives an extensive discussion of her case.

Best regards

Chris
Old August 27th, 2012, 02:03 PM   #19
SirRobertAnderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris G. View Post
Hi Robert

If you have not already done so, it might benefit you to look at the treatise on the Maybrick Case by Alexander Macdougall (1891), which is available on line in various forms. Macdougall was one of Florence Maybrick's post-trial defenders and gives an extensive discussion of her case.
I've got it. Macdougall was her most ardent defender, really outraged at the injustice done to her.
Old August 27th, 2012, 02:08 PM   #20
Chris G.

Okay. As you will know, her other defender who broke into print was an American lady, Dr. Helen Densmore, whose book, The Maybrick Case: English Criminal Law (1892), is also available on line. Maybe you have her book as well?

Chris