Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > Persons Of Interest or Actual Suspects > Frederick Deeming

Frederick Deeming By Popular Demand!

Old November 10th, 2010, 07:09 AM   #1
Mike Covell
Former Member

Default Deeming in Prison in 1888?

I was re-reading Donald Rumbelow's The Complete Jack the Ripper again last night and noticed that he had a small section on Frederick Bailey Deeming but ruled Deeming out as a suspect as he was in prison in 1888.

Does anyone know which prison and for what offence?
Mike Covell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2010, 09:51 AM   #2
Chris G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Covell View Post
I was re-reading Donald Rumbelow's The Complete Jack the Ripper again last night and noticed that he had a small section on Frederick Bailey Deeming but ruled Deeming out as a suspect as he was in prison in 1888.

Does anyone know which prison and for what offence?
Hi Mike

I believe most authorities believe Deeming was in South Africa during the fall of 1888. As you no doubt know, during September 1890 to July 1891, Deeming spent 9 months in Hull Gaol for forgery. See this timeline, which unfortunately does not break down his whereabouts in 1888.

Chris
For info about RipperCon in Baltimore, MD,
April 7-8, 2018, go to http://rippercon.com/
Chris G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2010, 10:37 AM   #3
Chris Scott
Author & Researcher

"Deemings brother, Albert (who was married to his sister in law), claimed he had visited family members at Birkenhead in late 1888. Although his presence in Britain was first irrefutably established in October 1889, when he surfaced in Hull posing as an Australian grazier named Harry Lawson.

The prison theory is also frequently cited by historians who rule him out as a Ripper candidate, although that hypothesis is based on incorrect dates. It was in 1890 (not earlier) under the alias, Harry Lawson, Deeming was convicted and sentenced to nine months for false pretences. Having defrauded a jeweler in Hull of four hundred pounds in jewellery, before clumsily escaping to Montevideo where he was soon arrested and extradited back to Hull. His alias saving him from the addition of bigamy charges, having married local woman Miss Mathieson, who unwittingly played a part in his plans."

The Life and Crimes of Frederick Bailey Deeming
John Godl
http://www.casebook.org/dissertations/dst-deeming.html
Chris Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2010, 10:52 AM   #4
Mike Covell
Former Member

Thanks Chris and Chris, I have read Godl's work and it's riddled with errors and conjecture. I know of three prison terms for Deeming the earliest been 1887 in Australia, 1890-91 in Hull, and his final term in Australia.

The 1888 Africa claim falls on shaky ground when Detective Brandt actually claimed that the man wanted in Africa and Deeming where not the same people but despite this it is still claimed that Deeming was in Africa during this period.

I have read the claim that Deeming was in prison in 1888 in several works now, and the earliest secondary source I could trace it back to was Rumbelow's Complete Jack the Ripper.
Mike Covell is offline   Reply With Quote