Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > Persons Of Interest or Actual Suspects > Frederick Deeming

Frederick Deeming By Popular Demand!

Old April 7th, 2011, 11:16 AM   #11
Chris G.

Thanks for posting these articles and census data about Deeming's time in Hull. Fascinating stuff. Everyone should know that your article about Deeming's possible connection to a murder 30 July 1891, near Preston, a village east of Hull, is in Ripperologist no. 119, due out today: "The Tragic Murder of Another 'Mary Jane': A Possible Crime of Frederick Bailey Deeming in Preston, Yorkshire."

Chris
For info about RipperCon in Baltimore, MD,
April 7-8, 2018, go to http://rippercon.com/
Chris G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2011, 11:36 AM   #12
Mike Covell
Former Member

Thanks Chris, was wondering when it would hit and what feedback it might get.
Mike Covell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2011, 06:37 PM   #13
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

These two attachments are from Mike Covell.

From Mike :

"Minutes of the Hull Watch Committee, Wednesday December 9th 1891. Harry Lawson, the alias used by Frederick Bailey Deeming whilst in Hull, appears after it is revealed that it cost a staggering £159,9s,8d to catch him and return him to Hull from Monte Video."

[IMG]

Minutes of the Hull Watch Committee, Wednesday December 23rd 1891. Harry Lawson, the alias used by Frederick Bailey Deeming whilst in Hull, appears after it is revealed that it cost a staggering £159,9s,8d to catch him and return him to Hull from Monte Video. The order was moved to the Finance Committee, so I aim to find out from this committee whether the Hull Police were reimbursed.
Old May 4th, 2011, 10:32 AM   #14
Mike Covell
Former Member

Thanks Howard. This morning I visited the Hull History Centre with two goals. The first was to ascertain what happened after these two committee meetings at the financial committee. The second was to ascertain whether the finances appeared in the Hull Press.

Sadly, the printed version of the Minutes of the Finances Committee Meetings, 1890-1891 fails to show that this was discussed. There are still the actual ledgers from the period, but these are large and I have put in a request to view them.

It was also discovered that there was no press coverage of these initial meetings. I find this odd as they covered every meeting without fail in the 3 newspapers that are available for this period, but despite talking about staff holidays and wages, they not once mentioned the huge sum of money requested for the capture of Deeming aka Lawson.
Old May 4th, 2011, 12:46 PM   #15
Chris G.

Very fine, Howard and Mike. Thanks.

Cheers!

Chris
For info about RipperCon in Baltimore, MD,
April 7-8, 2018, go to http://rippercon.com/
Chris G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2011, 10:19 AM   #16
Mike Covell
Former Member

Earlier today I visited the Hull History Centre with a view to searching for a few loose ends that needed tying up. Whilst there I thought I would search for one last time for the criminal papers that covered the trial of Frederick Bailey Deeming in Hull in 1890. In the past I had unearthed a rather short one line snippet from the calendar of prisoners that stated that Deeming, under the alias of Harry Lawson was sent to Hull Prison for 9 months, however, a search of the actual papers pertaining to this period did not hold any information on Deeming/Lawson.

Despite this the search continued and for the past 5 years I have discovered that the case was covered in the Hull and Beverley press as well as some national publications. The case also made it into the Hull Watch Committee’s Minutes book when at two meetings the Hull Corporation discussed financial compensation for the capture of Deeming. These records alluded to the decision being made by the Finances Committee, but a search of their records turned up nothing.

Today for the final time I searched and found the Harry Lawson card, taking the unique number and handing it over. Moments later I was presented with a large bound file, plus an even larger file. The Harry Lawson material was a part of a bigger haul that was neither here, nor there, so I laid it all out and began searching.

After a short period of time I uncovered the files on Deeming/Lawson, and set about recording them, and putting them back into their own file in numerical order so that future researchers can find the material. I was surprised at the amount of material inside.

There are in total around 77 pages of material, which includes,
  • Eyewitness testimonies on large A4 sheets,
  • Eyewitness recording papers on small A5 sheets,
  • Harry Lawson letter to Miss Matheson,
  • Harry Lawson letter to Reynoldsons Jewellers,
  • Reynoldsons Jewellers letter to Harry Lawson,
  • Telegrams between Hull and the following destinations, Southampton, London, Beverley, and Portsmouth on A5 sheets,
  • Harry Lawson’s defence statements,
  • Correspondence from police officials,
  • And much much more.

I have spent the morning prepping the work and cataloguing it and still have much to do but as you can imagine this is a lovely haul with lots of new information about Frederick Bailey Deeming and his criminal lifestyle.