X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris Scott
    Author & Researcher
    • Apr 2008

Recent Yeti sightings in Siberia

Yeti expert Igor Burtsev says three yeti sightings in seven days in Russia's Siberia region is 'significant' and an expedition will now be launched to try and find the creature.

"Three separate 'sightings' of yetis have been made in Siberia in recent weeks, say fishermen and an official in Russia.
    All were in the remote Kemerovo region, where around 30 'abominable snowmen' live, according to the country's leading researcher on the creatures."

I may be wrong but I think that the term Yeti is misapplied for Russian sightings. I thought that "Yeti" was reserved for sightings in the Himalayas and the Russia equivalent was "alma."
  • Mike Covell
    Former Member
    • Oct 2007

Hi Chris, The Alma is Mongolian for "Wild Man" and Almas are said to inhabit the mountain ranges of Central Asia and and Southern Mongolia. The Yeti is said to inhabit the Nepal and Tibet.

That said, the mythical folk tales refer to the Alma being seen in Russia, Asia, and Pakistan.

I have often wondered what would happen if one or the other crossed an international boarder, would it suddenly be classified as something different according to the region it inhabited?

Comment

• Chris Scott
      Author & Researcher
      • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Mike Covell
      Hi Chris, The Alma is Mongolian for "Wild Man" and Almas are said to inhabit the mountain ranges of Central Asia and and Southern Mongolia. The Yeti is said to inhabit the Nepal and Tibet.

That said, the mythical folk tales refer to the Alma being seen in Russia, Asia, and Pakistan.

I have often wondered what would happen if one or the other crossed an international boarder, would it suddenly be classified as something different according to the region it inhabited?
      many thanks for the clarification Mike

Comment

• Mike Covell
        Former Member
        • Oct 2007

No worries Chris, Cryptids are confusing based on the global classification system. I prefer the term "Man Beast" it is amusing but does what it says on the tin. I did some research recently into Sea Serpents and the classifcation system there is constantly being updated and changed. It is difficult to keep up but thankfully their classification is not geographical like the "Man Beasts" but is based on their appearance at the time of the sighting.

Comment

• Whitechurch
          • Jun 2011

Speaking of "Man Beast", where's How?
          SPERO IN DEO

Comment

• Mike Covell
            Former Member
            • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Whitechurch
            Speaking of "Man Beast", where's How?
            On vacation in the remote Kemerovo region I believe.

Comment

Working...