Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > Critics Corner + Opinion Central > Points To Ponder

Points To Ponder A forum filled with rehashed ideas, overlooked & often original theories, and newspaper articles from days gone by.

Old January 9th, 2012, 04:36 PM   #1
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Default Points To Ponder- Opinion On Authenticity Of The Ripper As Author Of Dear Boss

Over time, opinions change...not only in real life ( or "off-line" life) but in Ripperology as well.

Where do you stand now on the authenticity of "Dear Boss" ?

Consider that serial killers :

David Berkowitz
Ted Kacynsk..Kazzink...The Unabomber
Maury Travis ( black serial killer from St. Louis )
Zodiac
Keith Jesperson
Thomas Dillon
Peter Kurten
...among others ( who I will be adding to the list over time ), all wrote letters to the authorities.
Old January 9th, 2012, 08:30 PM   #2
Wicker Man
Researcher

I guess regardless of anyone's arguments, he could have. The killer could have written that letter, or any letters.
With no evidence either way we are left with our gut feelings, and I'm not convinced he wrote any of them.

Regards, Jon S.
" observed the medical authority, "he's a good deal sharper than those who are not".
Reynolds Newspaper, 4 Nov. 1888.
Wicker Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2012, 10:12 PM   #3
admin tim

My opinion is that he wrote the From Hell letter but none of the others.

The Dear Boss letter penmanship smacks of a man far more educated than Jack probably was. There is merit in this letter having been a Press invention to sell papers. Given the nonexistent morals, scruples, principles, and honesty of today's MSM, that is easy for me to believe.

IMHO, the Dear Boss letter is vastly overrated, whereas one can fairly see the rage boiling off of the From Hell letter.

Besides, which makes the better film title - From Hell or Dear Boss?
admin tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2012, 10:14 PM   #4
Franco Loco
Extremely Loud Guitarist

I'm firmly a non-believer. Both Dear Boss and Saucy Jack (as well as the Maybrick Diary, while we're at it) suffer from, for lack of a beter term, over-performing. Most especially, in the case of the letters, knowing that there was a Central News Agency to send it to as opposed to simply sending it to a newspaper.

When I read communications from other killers, I find them chilling. Dear Boss, in all honesty, just makes me think, "someone has too much free time on his hands."
Franco Loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2012, 11:16 PM   #5
Tom_Wescott
Researcher and Award Winning Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by How Brown
David Berkowitz
Ted Kacynsk..Kazzink...The Unabomber
Maury Travis ( black serial killer from St. Louis )
Zodiac
Keith Jesperson
Thomas Dillon
Peter Kurten
Also Gary Ridgway (Green River Killer), BTK, and possibly the Black Dahlia killer.

However, the question we should also be asking, is how many of these guys WOULDN'T have written letters had Jack the Ripper not done so (as was thought he had at the time)?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
Tom_Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2012, 02:21 AM   #6
Chris G.
Editor,Ripperologist Magazine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Loco View Post
I'm firmly a non-believer. Both Dear Boss and Saucy Jack (as well as the Maybrick Diary, while we're at it) suffer from, for lack of a beter term, over-performing. Most especially, in the case of the letters, knowing that there was a Central News Agency to send it to as opposed to simply sending it to a newspaper.

When I read communications from other killers, I find them chilling. Dear Boss, in all honesty, just makes me think, "someone has too much free time on his hands."
Hi all

To put it succinctly, Dear Boss is too stagy. Doesn't feel right: the petty criminal lingo, the exact penmanship. Doesn't strike me as being from the same man who slices open women's throats and rips open their abdomens. As I wrote on my blog at Casebook this week, "I have often expressed the view that the only message the killer might have left was in the murders themselves."

All the best

Chris
http://www.ripperologist.biz
http://blog.casebook.org/chrisgeorge
For info about RipperCon, in Baltimore, MD,
April 8-10, 2016, go to http://rippercon.com/
Chris G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2012, 02:42 AM   #7
Adam Went
Researcher

Agree with the above negativity in regards to Dear Boss.....it will always be vaguely plausible that the killer wrote it, there's nothing to exempt it as a possibility, but IMO it's a very slim chance....the only thing we can say with any confidence is that Dear Boss and Saucy Jacky were penned by the same hand.

In my humble view, the only communication with a realistic chance of being from JTR is the From Hell letter, which others have mentioned above - the Goulston Street Graffito also falls into the category of not likely to have been from JTR.

Cheers,
Adam.
Adam Went is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2012, 05:37 AM   #8
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

However, the question we should also be asking, is how many of these guys WOULDN'T have written letters had Jack the Ripper not done so (as was thought he had at the time)?
----Tom

Some of those people ( Maury Travis, Peter Kurten, BTK..with his mention of the "x'" factor he shared with the Ripper, and probably some others will surface if we researched further ) certainly were influenced by what they felt the Ripper had done...that being write to the authorities or press, Tom...good point.
Old January 10th, 2012, 05:49 AM   #9
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

In addition, we might also contemplate whether there were any other instances of a killer ( serial or otherwise ) sending messages or letters to the authorities prior to "Dear Boss".
Off the top of my head, I can't think of any.
That wasn't an original question, of course, but during the past decade or so, I don't recall anyone ever coming up with an example of a letter to the police or even the press from a killer prior to "Dear Boss'. Maybe someone else has.

Without poking my nose into the papers, didn't Cream write one or two to the authorities ?
Old January 10th, 2012, 06:09 AM   #10
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

One other question related to the issue...

Has there ever been an instance of someone involved within the media who fabricated a message which was alleged to have come from a currently active or dormant killer that any of us know of ?