Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > The Victims > Ada Wilson

Ada Wilson Ripper victim or not, her attack in March of 1888 is worth re-examining...

Old October 8th, 2016, 09:31 PM   #21
Roy Corduroy
Researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debra Arif View Post
Whitechapel infirmary
Admitted 31 12 87 Ada Drew, 36, admitted from casual ward, widow of Geo. broker? 2 nights settlement (in Whitechapel) , admitted for syphilis, discharged 20 Feb 88

South Grove Mile End Rd creed register (admissions register for South Grove 88 not available)
Feb 22 1888 Ada Drew b 1854, admitted from Christchurch, machinist, widow, discharged 27 3 88 ...

Interesting that the South Grove workhouse entry discharge is one day before the attack on Ada Wilson and South Grove workhouse, according to my reckoning, is pretty close to Maidman Street? Can anyone confirm this?
Interesting that she was just released from down the street, but does it work against her. I do not get the impression from Rose Bierman's statement that Ada just moved in to 19 Maidman Street the day before the incident. Although nothing was said along those lines, it was implied that Ms. Bierman knew enough about her to say a few things. Some familiarity. Whereas your Ada had spent all but two days of the year in infirmary or workhouse.

Still studying your proposal, though, Debs. I like the part about George the husband. Along with reading Marks' piece in Rip 125 (thanks Howie)

Roy
Roy Corduroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2016, 10:17 PM   #22
Anna Morris

If there should be a question of age with this Ada, what is the chance women may have used each other's names at times? For admittance to infirmaries, work houses, etc? I don't yet fully understand the system but it seems residence in certain districts was needed for admittance to certain establishments. What if a real Ada Wilson had a place to stay but a close friend needed some help? There wouldn't necessarily be a way for authorities to absolutely KNOW who was who unless they were regulars?

Or maybe there was no reason to do this?
Old October 9th, 2016, 02:44 AM   #23
Debra Arif
Sausage brain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Cazard View Post
That really great work, thank you for posting!

It's a lot, I'll have to have a closer look in the morning...

Quick question, are you sure about the age?
Mostly I recall her as being described in the papers as 'a young...(seamstress/dressmaker/etc)'; Chris Scott suggested a birth year of 1868 (unless that's overhauled and I missed it).
Thanks for the feedback, Daniel.

Re the age: Several newspapers reported the age of Ada Wilson as 39, some 36 and importantly, the London Hospital admission records gave her age as 39, as Mark Ripper showed in his Ripperologist 125 article. Another thing I think is perhaps significant; the word 'machinist' over seamstress as an occupation. All these women had the specific profession of 'machinist' in most records relating to them, including Ada Wilson.
Debra Arif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2016, 03:12 AM   #24
Debra Arif
Sausage brain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Corduroy View Post
Interesting that she was just released from down the street, but does it work against her. I do not get the impression from Rose Bierman's statement that Ada just moved in to 19 Maidman Street the day before the incident. Although nothing was said along those lines, it was implied that Ms. Bierman knew enough about her to say a few things. Some familiarity. Whereas your Ada had spent all but two days of the year in infirmary or workhouse.

Still studying your proposal, though, Debs. I like the part about George the husband. Along with reading Marks' piece in Rip 125 (thanks Howie)

Roy
Thanks, Roy.
I understand what you're saying but in my scenario, that I explained earlier; Ada Drew, who was admitted to the Whitechapel Infirmary for treatment for syphilis at the end of 1887 and was discharged in Feb 1888 (20th) then entered the Whitechapel Union workhouse two days after that (22nd). Her settlement when entering the Whitechapel Infirmary was only two days and as she had been admitted from the casual ward that would give her the settlement of two days mentioned, meaning she usually belonged to a different Poor Law Union.
I suggested she already had the accomodation at Maidmans St on the go but was not present there for several weeks while in hospital and so was under notice to quit (because she wouldn't have been able to pay the rent in that time period ?) In my scenario, Ada returned to Maidmans Street for two days before entering the Whitechapel Union workhouse this time, being discharged and returning to Maidmans Street again the day before her attack.

Ada Drew was obviously a woman who was not usually part of the Whitechapel Poor Law Union but entering the Infirmary (for needed treatment) from the Whitechapel workhouse casual ward would have given her for a couple of days settlement recorded perhaps. Ada Wilson of Maidmans Street would have belonged to Mile End Old Town, which we see is the case in the Mile End workhouse and infirmary entry after the release from the London Hospital but that could be exlained because police and authorities obviously knew her address then. My thoughts about her entering the Whitechapel Union is along the lines that it was because she was being treated for syphilis and might not have wanted anyone she knew to know that.
I hope this makes some sense as a proposal.
Old October 9th, 2016, 03:26 AM   #25
Debra Arif
Sausage brain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Morris View Post
If there should be a question of age with this Ada, what is the chance women may have used each other's names at times? For admittance to infirmaries, work houses, etc? I don't yet fully understand the system but it seems residence in certain districts was needed for admittance to certain establishments. What if a real Ada Wilson had a place to stay but a close friend needed some help? There wouldn't necessarily be a way for authorities to absolutely KNOW who was who unless they were regulars?

Or maybe there was no reason to do this?
Anna, Ada's age was recorded officially as 39 in the London Hospital records on her admittance after the attack and some newspapers reported on the fact, curiously some newspapers did describe her as a 'young woman' but this is the less reliable age indicator in my view.

The thing with Ada and George Wilson(Ada 39, machinist, ) Ada and George Drew (Ada 36, machinist) and Ada and George Tradigan (Ada 36 machinist)
is that there are no couples who correspond to any of them in census marriage records etc. That seems odd to me. When I look at records I do always try to disprove what I think I have discovered, so I spent a lot of time looking for Ada Drew's existence as a separate individual, the same with Ada Tradigan and Ada Wilson. I always look for earlier or later records that might show no connection to each other. I'm not someone who believes that an abscence of records proves anything though, so this is just a proposal of an ID based on a terrific amount of research in to these three women as individuals. I am never just satisfied with finding a person and adding it to a scenario to suit my idea, they have to have been ruled out of other scenarios to the best of my ability and records available to me at the time.

If anyone can find other records that disprove my theory then I'd welcome the addition as I just want to get this correct, not have it fit an idea.
Old October 9th, 2016, 05:28 AM   #26
Gary Barnett

I notice that Ada was admitted to South Grove from Christchurch.
Gary Barnett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2016, 06:10 AM   #27
Debra Arif
Sausage brain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Barnett View Post
I notice that Ada was admitted to South Grove from Christchurch.
That's right, Gary. I included it in my transcript and can see that presents a problem in my scenario to some degree.
Old October 9th, 2016, 06:23 AM   #28
Gary Barnett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debra Arif View Post
That's right, Gary. I included it in my transcript and can see that presents a problem in my scenario to some degree.
What does 'from Christchurch' suggest - that she was resident there?
Old October 9th, 2016, 06:36 AM   #29
Debra Arif
Sausage brain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Barnett View Post
What does 'from Christchurch' suggest - that she was resident there?
The heading is "From whence admitted" so Christchurch would suggest that she was in that area before being admitted. That could cover things like lodging somewhere there for a night, sleeping in Itchy Park, or making it up to get into the Whitechapel Union workhouse rather than Mile End?

To be fair though, checking the creed register for South Grove again, there are several people who entered repeatedly from Mile End over the year and weren't removed.
Old October 9th, 2016, 07:41 AM   #30
Gary Barnett

What I need is a tutorial on how the workhouses operated.

I'm thinking of the family of Nasty Nick Shippy who went into Wednesbury workhouse when Nick went to prison, but were then 'passed' to Whitechapel where Nick had his origins. His wife, Elizabeth, and his children had all been born in the West Midlands, and Nick had been living there for over ten years. I could never figure out why they had been 'passed' to Whitechapel. They subsequently returned to Wolverhampton.

(Sorry for going off at a tangent)