Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > Victoriana > The East End of London

The East End of London The largest slum on earth in the heart of the capital of the richest + greatest Empire on earth....

Old 05-09-2007, 09:24 PM   #1
Howard Brown
Proprietor & Researcher

Default Women Reported "Gone Missing"

I'm not familiar with any previous discussion of women...from the prole/working class of the East End...reported "gone missing" before and solely for the purpose of determining if research into this idea has been conducted previously:

Did newspapers ever mention if women ( lets say "someone" like an Eddowes or a Chapman ) were reported by family members or significant others as being gone or missing in London...or perhaps in local tabloids serving specific areas such as Spitalfields or Aldgate,etc...?

Just a thought I had today while considering if the Ripper did kill Kelly in her home,maybe he took one back to his abode once....or twice.

Quick link to the Complete A to Z on Amazon below
Search function in operation.

http://www.amazon.com/reader/1844547...der_1844547973
Howard Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 05:48 PM   #2
AP Wolf
Bannee

A while ago Grey was kind enough to send me some details of a woman who went missing in the area and at the time we discuss.
The letter is dated 2nd October 1888:

"Private and confidential
Sir
Please to favour me with a Photograph of the murdered woman discovered, found in Mitre Square, Aldgate and of the other woman supposed to be Mrs Elizabeth Stride; but not yet identified The enquiry relates to a fair haired good looking woman who would now be between thirty and thirty five or thereabouts who has not been heard of and is missing for some year or since her last known address was as 9, Brick Lane Whitechapel London and she was called Louie, Annie, or Lizzie as the case might be. I am &c.
Yours faithfully
W. Simmonds
Jas M. Williams Esq
Inspector or
Jas Fraser
Col. Commisr
City of London P. St
23 Old Jewry"

A note by the police at the bottom of the letter reads - "Say the woman has been identified"
AP Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 07:12 PM   #3
Howard Brown
Proprietor & Researcher

You know,A.P......it might be worth a shot to see if someone other than the significant others of the victims created an advertisement in a paper to see if their handiwork was "appreciated"...if you get my drift.....perhaps describing the victims in ways only they knew about....attire at that time of death and so forth...

Thanks for the follow up.

Quick link to the Complete A to Z on Amazon below
Search function in operation.

http://www.amazon.com/reader/1844547...der_1844547973
Howard Brown is offline   Reply With Quote