JTRForums.com - THE place to be for All Things Ripper  

Go Back   JTRForums.com - THE place to be for All Things Ripper > Ripper Polls!! > Things

View Poll Results: Why Was There No Money Found on Any of the Victims?
JTR searched them for money and valuables after killing them. 1 5.88%
JTR attacked them as he was proffering the money, so they never actually got it. 5 29.41%
JTR had prepaid them in advance, knowing that they would spend it all, but would then trust him to be good for more. 0 0%
JTR had bartered with them, offering them goods such as stale bread instead of cash. 0 0%
JTR was such a smooth talker that he convinced them to wait until afterwards to be paid. 1 5.88%
JTR had cultivated them generously as a 'regular' client beforehand, so thay trusted him to be good for the debt. 1 5.88%
JTR had promised them a grand payment if only they would go with him. 3 17.65%
JTR bought them liquor beforehand. 0 0%
JTR promised them a job and a better life. 0 0%
There had actually been money there, but it was pocketed by the individuals who found the bodies. 3 17.65%
Who said there was no money? - what about those farthings at Annie Chapman's feet? 3 17.65%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-30-2003, 11:48 AM   #1
WTM
Former Member

Question Why Was There No Money Found on Any of the Victims?

One curious fact of the Whitechapel Murders that has never been satisfactorily explained is the absence of any money on any of JTR's victims. After all, they were all of a profession that dealt strictly in cash, and one in which payment is made before services are rendered, not afterwards. So why was there never any money found on any of the victims?
Old 04-21-2004, 12:23 PM   #2
Howard Brown
Proprietor & Researcher

Would it be an aspect of ritualism/occultism to remove whatever was in their pockets ?

The reason that I ask is that it would seem more UNLIKELY that the Ripper would waste or expend valuable time in rifling through these women's pockets for their lifesavings,UNLESS it was for a ritualistic reason.
Howard Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 12:52 PM   #3
D1g1TaL Gh0sT
Former Member

There are SO many possibilities, why the victims were absent any currency when they were discovered. One reason, might simply be the "hand to mouth", lifestyle these prostitutes existed under. As quickly as they received money, so they, in turn, spent it. Whether it have been on food, lodging, or alcohol. The fact that the amounts they took in were minimal, to say the least, would only serve to prove this all the more.
Old 05-07-2004, 02:31 PM   #4
WTM
Former Member

But all prostitutes demand payment in advance, except for regular customers that they can trust. This would hardly have been the case with these street women. They obviously could not have spent this money just received from the Ripper, if indeed there WAS any money exchanged. And I find it hard to believe that the Ripper would have risked the time searching his victims for the money - especially in the case of Chapman and Eddowes - as it would have been a purely nominal amount not worth the risk of his capture or identification. Unless maybe he WERE dirt poor himself. But still.......

I think there is more than meets the eye here, hence some of the more unusual choices on the poll. (you guys DID vote, didn't you?)
Old 05-24-2009, 02:32 PM   #5
Currerbell
Female of the Species

I dont think they had any on them anyway, they would have spent it on booze, or if they had any, might have gone to find a bed for the night...
Currerbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 05:58 PM   #6
Howard Brown
Proprietor & Researcher

Disregard the 2nd post on this thread,since the times,they have a'changed.

I believe that these ladies were skint.... although it has been suggested that the approach of the Ripper towards the victims in one or more instances may have been attempts at robbing them..as in a move calculated to enable him to proceed in his butchery. By more or less suggesting to a victim that he was there for their cash and not looking for sex it might have facilitated his true aim....according to that theory. I have doubts that this is a viable theory although you can't immediately dismiss it outright.

After Chapman's murder...as a starting point, I for one would consider the possibility that women had begun arming themselves and that the killer,unless he was completely oblivious to the effect he was having in the area would have considered the possibility that the women had begun arming themselves and as a result probably ( in my view) not pursued any attempts at "hold ups", since the once completely vulnerable women might now be pistol packin' mamas...with an equally sharp knife on their person.

Quick link to the Complete A to Z on Amazon below
Search function in operation.

http://www.amazon.com/reader/1844547...der_1844547973
Old 05-24-2009, 06:23 PM   #7
Currerbell
Female of the Species

If they did carry some kind of weapon, was that allowed in those days????
Currerbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 09:19 PM   #8
admin tim
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Currerbell
If they did carry some kind of weapon, was that allowed in those days????
Yes, if you believe your Conan Doyle in the Sherlock Holmes canon. Britain used to be a lot like Texas in the LVP, and anyone who could afford a weapon could carry it. At least, Holmes, Watson, and numerous of the canon miscreants carried pistols, apparently legally. I dunno re knives and such; perhaps SPE or someone else in a position to know could help out here.
admin tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 10:33 PM   #9
SirRobertAnderson
Maybrick Forum Moderator & Keeper of the Wiki

This isn't that complicated, is it ? Unless you believe these women would have had sex and then collected their money, Jack had to at the very least have taken back the coins he gave them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTM View Post
And I find it hard to believe that the Ripper would have risked the time searching his victims for the money

As he had already committed a deranged act, I don't think we can say anything along the lines of "He'd disembowel them on the streets but taking their coins - that was just too much of a risk."

I also think that said coins would have made a great trophy, especially for someone living with others. Neat, clean and compact...nothing to raise an eyebrow. He may even have used the same coins again and again.
SirRobertAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 11:19 PM   #10
Howard Brown
Proprietor & Researcher

Bell:

When I mentioned "pistol packin' mamas", I didn't mean to suggest the prosses carried handguns. I meant knives or even scissors.

Quick link to the Complete A to Z on Amazon below
Search function in operation.

http://www.amazon.com/reader/1844547...der_1844547973