JTRForums.com - THE place to be for All Things Ripper  

Go Back   JTRForums.com - THE place to be for All Things Ripper > Ripper Media > Ripper Television

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-17-2010, 08:50 PM   #1
JTRSickert
Registered User
 
JTRSickert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 374
Default Jack The Ripper: The New Evidence

Last night, on the Science channel on Comcast, I saw Jack The Ripper: The New Evidence, in which Mei Trow gave his theory about Robert Mann being Jack the Ripper. While it was interesting to watch, I have to say that, no offense o Mr. Trow as I respect him as a historical researcher, I'm afraid I was not convinced about Mann-as-Ripper, but I will say that at least it sounded a bit more plausible than the more ridiculous suspects that have been proposed.
JTRSickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 09:09 PM   #2
Cris Malone
Historian
 
Cris Malone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Jackson, Tennessee
Posts: 1,576
Default

I would rank Mann up there in the ridiculous list... and there are many.

I really liked the part about Mann coming across Tabram's body and deciding to give her a few more stabs for good measure... and that put him on the Ripper train. LOL
__________________
Best Wishes,
Cris Malone
______________________________________________
When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times- Nov. 10, 1888
Cris Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 09:23 PM   #3
Howard Brown
Proprietor & Researcher
 
Howard Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Southeast Pennsylvania
Posts: 47,430
Default

I really liked the part about Mann coming across Tabram's body and deciding to give her a few more stabs for good measure... ..C.Malone

....whats more amazing is that no one had a gun to his head when he said it Cris.
Thats the way I feel about that particular statement.
__________________
Individuals wishing to join JTRForums.Com
should contact me at : Donston1888@aol.com

Quick link to the Complete A to Z on Amazon below
Search function in operation.

http://www.amazon.com/reader/1844547...der_1844547973
Howard Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 10:24 PM   #4
Colin Roberts
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 676
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTRSickert View Post
... no offense to Mr. Trow as I respect him as a historical researcher, ...
I have thought, for many years, that one of the greatest injustices, in the history of mankind, was the fact that Gary Neville is actually compensated monetarily, for playing football.

Well, if Mei Trow has earned so much as a penny, from his comical endeavors in the field of 'Ripperology', then that is a far greater injustice.

He addressed last year's conference, in the City of London.

His 'essay' "Robert Mann – 'the non-starter'" was the cover-feature of the most recent issue of 'Ripperologist'.

He will be addressing the Whitechapel Society, in August.

If the field of 'Ripperology' doesn't recognize the blatant amateurism of Mei Trow; ... then the field of 'Ripperology' deserves to have him.
Colin Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 11:03 PM   #5
Cris Malone
Historian
 
Cris Malone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Jackson, Tennessee
Posts: 1,576
Default

I agree with you 100%, Colin, but unfortunately, he wasn't the first, and he will not be the last... and, until the seemingly few people who view this in its historical context and not as something to profit from, speak with a louder voice of contempt, we will continue to be confronted with this sort of thing... while the real researchers into this mystery, who post on here and Casebook, for nothing... simply because they have a true fascination with this historical subject, are not even known outside of our little circle.

I wouldn't pay ten cents for anything Mr. Trow published, but if someone like Debra Arif, Howard Brown or Chris Scott and others here, decided to publish what they find, they could name their price as far as I'm concerned... but they have more puritanical reasons for being involved... and thank God that they seek nothing more than to contribute to everyone's benefit.

OK, I'm off of my 'high horse' now.
__________________
Best Wishes,
Cris Malone
______________________________________________
When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times- Nov. 10, 1888
Cris Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 03:34 AM   #6
Adam Went
Researcher
 
Adam Went's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,874
Default

As Colin said, Mei Trow had an article defending Mann as a suspect in the April issue of Ripperologist.....it was only a few pages long but that was more than enough.

The thing is though that he really isn't one of the worst suspects that have ever been put forward - I mean, atleast he was actually in the country and in the area of the murders at the time, unlike some others that have been suspected over the years....

Cheers,
Adam.
Adam Went is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:22 AM   #7
Colin Roberts
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 676
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris Malone View Post
... unfortunately, he wasn't the first, and he will not be the last... and, until the seemingly few people who view this in its historical context and not as something to profit from, speak with a louder voice of contempt, we will continue to be confronted with this sort of thing ...
Well said, Cris!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Went View Post
... he really isn't one of the worst suspects that have ever been put forward - I mean, at least he was actually in the country and in the area of the murders at the time, unlike some others that have been suspected over the years ...
But he was a ward of the Whitechapel Poor Law Union, Adam. As such, he was confined to the Whitechapel Union Infirmary, where he was resident; and required to wear a Whitechapel Union Workhouse uniform.

The fact that he was 'keeper' of the infirmary's mortuary, and perhaps some sort of pseudo 'attendant' to any physician that might have been performing a post-mortem examination, within that facility; suggests that he was often sent from the confines of the infirmary, to attend to the mortuary-related 'affairs', of the Whitechapel Poor Law Union. However, he would have invariably been in uniform, and held strictly accountable for his comings-and-goings. And these 'excursions', so to speak, would rarely have occurred between the hours of mid-night and 6:00AM.

As a nearly life-long loyal 'servant' of the Whitechapel Poor Law Union, might Robert Mann have occasionally been given some sort of 'passage', with which he was able to come-and-go, from the confines of the infirmary? Sure! Why not! But, as in the case of his mortuary-related 'business-excursions', his 'passage' would have required his being in uniform. And, the notion that any such 'passage' would have allowed him to come-and-go, between the hours of mid-night and 6:00AM, is a joke!

Mei Trow hasn't proposed an inmate of Newgate Gaol, as a 'Jack the Ripper' 'suspect'. But, he has proposed someone whose ability to carry out these murders, was extremely limited, if not non-existent.

He has indeed proposed a preposterous 'suspect'. And, as yet, he has failed to scratch the surface, with regard to addressing the issue that renders such aspect: Confinement.
Colin Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:26 AM   #8
Mike Richards
Bannee
 
Mike Richards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 52
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Roberts View Post
He has indeed proposed a preposterous 'suspect'. And, as yet, he has failed to scratch the surface, with regard to addressing the issue that renders such aspect: Confinement.
That kind of problem didnt seem to stop some contemporary sources either though Colin.....see Ostrog.

Cheers Colin
Mike Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:22 AM   #9
Colin Roberts
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 676
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Richards View Post
That kind of problem didnt seem to stop some contemporary sources either though Colin.....see Ostrog.
But, therein lies my whole point, Michael.

Mr. Trow might as well be proposing Ostrog; even in light of Philip Sugden's discovery that he was incarcerated, in France, during the Autumn of 1888.

But, it isn't Trow's 'suspect', that I find 'offensive'. It is his rudimentary presentation of the 'facts' surrounding this mystery, and his sophomoric sense of reasoning that compels me to believe that Mei Trow is an insult to 'Ripperology'.

The Whitechapel Society should be reconsidering its standards, between now and August.
Colin Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 11:59 AM   #10
Mike Richards
Bannee
 
Mike Richards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 52
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Roberts View Post
But, therein lies my whole point, Michael.

Mr. Trow might as well be proposing Ostrog; even in light of Philip Sugden's discovery that he was incarcerated, in France, during the Autumn of 1888.

But, it isn't Trow's 'suspect', that I find 'offensive'. It is his rudimentary presentation of the 'facts' surrounding this mystery, and his sophomoric sense of reasoning that compels me to believe that Mei Trow is an insult to 'Ripperology'.

The Whitechapel Society should be reconsidering its standards, between now and August.
Hi Colin,

I do see your point, but I have issues with almost every suspect driven release on the subject, so I am biased.

Im all for historical accuracy and objectivity...like Mr Sugden's book and A-Z.

Best regards Colin
Mike Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2005 - 2016 Howard & Nina Brown