• Time
  • Show
Clear All
    Adam Went
    Researcher

• Adam Went
    replied
    Maria:

Well if it's beaches you're after then you'll certainly be coming to the right country....and a trek into the outback should allow you to see most of our native creatures in their natural habitat.

But yes, Perth and up around to Darwin, and summertime just don't mix.

Cheers,
    Adam.

Leave a comment:

• Maria Birbili
    historian/musicologist

• Maria Birbili
    replied
    Adam,
    yes, I've heard of summertime in Western Australia, the heat and the flies. I'd really love to see Perth, Yallingup, Margaret River, and Rocky Point some day. But surf-wise it's definitely not my level (one has to be an experienced tube rider and I only can swim in tubes so far, plus it's sharky).
    NSW, Queensland, and Victoria would be more my level.
    And I'd like to interact with all the Australian animals (apart from salties and poisonous snakes). :-)
    If I ever manage to go to Oz it'll have to be for at least 3 weeks, otherwise it's not worth the trouble and the flight ticket.

Leave a comment:

• Adam Went
    Researcher

• Adam Went
    replied
    Maria:

The wine in Western Australia should be good, given the Margaret River vineyards are located in the state.....and July is the time to go there if you're ever planning on it. Much of my family lives in Perth but I wouldn't dare go there in the summertime - you'd need more than a nice cold can of Foster's to stay cool in a mid-summer Perth.....

Cheers,
    Adam.

Leave a comment:

• Howard Brown
    Registrar

• Howard Brown
    replied

Good one Mag !

Leave a comment:

• Magpie
    Researcher

• Magpie
    replied
    Originally posted by How Brown View Post
    This Fosters seems to be held in some low regard.
    I wouldn't necessarily say that, How. I think it's kinda impressive how they get the cat to balance on the can and pee through such a small hole...

Leave a comment:

• Maria Birbili
    historian/musicologist

• Maria Birbili
    replied
    I've tried Victoria bitter and I love Aussie wine, esp. white. (The red's too sweet.) I was invited at a conference in Perth this July, but didn't go (flight costs were not covered, and my schedule too tight – I'm not interested in going to Oz for just 1 week!) For some reason, I'm often invited to sharky places for conferences (South Africa last summer, Western Australia this year)... Someone up there wants to get rid of me? ;-)

Leave a comment:

• Adam Went
    Researcher

• Adam Went
    replied
    I think Fosters was more popular in decades gone by, but then again it depends on where you are in the country as to what is the generally preferred drop by the masses. For instance, in Victoria, it would be VB (Victoria Bitter), or in Western Australia, it would be Swan Lager (after the Swan River in Perth), and so forth.....then there's Boags, the Carlton Draught varieties, etc....just depends on where you are and who you're with, but it seems that right or wrong, Fosters and Australian bogans go hand in hand from an overseas point of view.

How:

Love the commercials.....we made some pretty good videos in the 80's. Who could forget the film clip to Men At Work's "Down Under" ?

As for Budweiser....believe it or not, I drink that stuff. In fact it's about the only beer that I will drink. Love it, just a nice smooth beer.....besides, a few weeks back if you bought a carton from the bottleshop it came with a free Budweiser dartboard. Sold!

Cheers,
    Adam.

Leave a comment:

• Maria Birbili
    historian/musicologist

• Maria Birbili
    replied
    No clue how this urban legend generated, but the sole Aussies to drink Foster's are sponsored Aussie surfers, when abroad. (And yep, it tastes better when it's free.)

Pizza came from Naples.

Leave a comment:

• Chris G.

• Chris G.
    replied
    Are we saying that the myth that Foster's is Australian is like the American inventions of pizza and chow mein?

As noted, it's all over the U.S. media that Aussies love Foster's although I have heard other Australians say they don't drink it.

Chris

Leave a comment:

• String

• String
    replied
    Haven't seen it. I'll look out for it.

Leave a comment:

• Tracy Ianson
    Researcher & Author

• Tracy Ianson
    replied
    Hi String

Have you tried Fosters Gold yet, I thought that was a nicer 'cleaner' taste (plus they were free which always helps in the taste dept ).

Tracy

Leave a comment:

• Phil Carter
    Author

• Phil Carter
    replied
    I am reminded of the Python quip... beer comparable to making love in a canoe..

"...ing close to water"

kindly

Phil

Leave a comment:

• Maria Birbili
    historian/musicologist

• Maria Birbili
    replied
    Originally posted by How Brown View Post
    Sort of like Budweiser, once the most popular US beer, is with me. I don't know anyone who drinks it.
    That stuff used to give me a bad headache after two swigs...
    Foster's is much more sour and “lemony“ than Bud. I really love Foster's, Bintam (Indonesian beer), Tahitian beer, Corona with lime. Possibly cuz they remind me of surfing, but I love the way they taste too, especially very cold on a warm evening, after a surf.
    Despite living in Germany most of the year, I can't stand German beer and prefer Bud and Amstel! No joke. And I like my beer from the bottle, the American way. Can't stand it in a glass.
    I also like the Irish brands, Guinness, Kilkenny, etc., but not when it's warm outside.

Leave a comment:

• String

• String
    replied
    It's not particulary bad. Draft is much better. Nice very cold on a warm day. I don't normally buy it but it was on offer in Tescos. I got some nice German wheat beer a few weeks ago in lidls again on offer. Seeing a connection here?

Leave a comment:

• Howard Brown
    Registrar

• Howard Brown
    replied

Sort of like Budweiser, once the most popular US beer, is with me. I don't know anyone who drinks it.

That stuff used to give me a bad headache after two swigs...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X