Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Praise of Australia

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/art...australia.html

Includes Fun Facts that I never knew. Now if only they had good common sense when it comes to private ownership of guns......

Roos into the Second Round of the World Cup. . .

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/team?id=628&cc=5901
    Christopher T. George, Lyricist & Co-Author, "Jack the Musical"
    https://www.facebook.com/JackTheMusical/ Hear sample song at https://tinyurl.com/y8h4envx.

Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conferences, April 2016 and 2018.
    Hear RipperCon 2016 & 2018 talks at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/.

Comment

Its a real shame that the Italian's won with virtually no time left on the clock.

The Aussies have nothing to be ashamed of. I think they played as well,if not better, than Italy.
      To Join JTR Forums :
      Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

An asset from Australia

Where is Adam Where have you gone ?

We need you over here... I miss you badly.

Your old fan,

-Maria

Comment

I like Barry Humphries, but not so much for Dame Edna, more for Sir Les Patterson, Australian cultural attache.

Robert

Comment

Hi Robert:

I do like Dame Edna very much. With his " Call me old fashion " line and possums. I imagine, possum must be an Australian animal. Dunno.

We hear very little about Australia here. A French lady I met in Russia who travels much more than we do, told me that it was very beautiful and that she would rank Australia, on the top section of countries to visit in the world. I asked her... That beautiful ? Yes, that beautiful. She said and described to me that the beaches are superb, the restaurants have excellent food, the people are friendly and the climate is good. So I'm rather curious about Australia now, since it is a country we haven't been to.

Oh... the foot-ball match is starting soon. Must rush.

-Maria

Comment

I felt that Portugal didn't deserve to win, but there you go.

I have a cousin in Australia. I like anywhere that's a bit off the beaten track. I believe there is a family living right at the southernmost tip of Tierra del Fuego in South America. They look south and there's nothing till Antarctica. I like places like that.

Robert

Comment

Robert

You would love Argentina and Chile. I have been to the tip of Chile and you can take a boat to see the glaciers. Oh is something awesome ! The light aqua-marine glaciers are the younger ones and the Emerald deep green which have been in Antartica for thousands and thousands of years, are sadly melting... They gave us whiskey with ice which had been chiselled away off the glaciers for our drinks. I thought it was rather sad. This is our planet and glaciers that have been in our earth for thousands of years were melting before our eyes. The water of the rivers which flow there are aqua-marine too. I had never before seen rivers with such pristine beauty.

When John Denver the American actor was alive, he used to go there on a private plane with a group of friends to fish blue salmon which is the best salmon in the world.

Chile has 3 climates, the very cold all the way down to Antartica, templated in the middle and desert like in the north towards Antofagasta, where they have the largest copper mines in the world. In the desert something curious was happening. There were flowers growing in the sand. Nobody knows how they adapted to that extreme climate of a desert. Scientists from all over the world have gone to study this curious phenomena. It was quite amazing to see the variety of colours aswell. Yellow, red, purple and white flowers growing in the sand dunes.

I was very lucky to be invited there by my Chilean friend Marisol. We traveled miles and miles on the road with endless empty land beside the Cordillera of the Andes stretching along a road that seemed without end. Then we made a stop at a beautiful resort where there are natural geisers so we bathed like in Roman times, wonderfully soothing with the natural steam all over the huge room and we had no need to wear any clothes as we were the only ones there. The temperature was regulated by a fountain connected to cold water coming from the Andes. That was to be an experience I will never forget. It was lovely and warm inside, and through the glass french door of the room you could see it was snowing outside. The place was completely isolated from the outside world, so we were incommunicado for a whole week, no computers, no cars, just peace and quiet.

I also ate unusual shrimps. These do not live in the sea nor the rivers, but beneath the earth. It was incredibly curious to me. As we were driving towards my friend's house, I saw some men dangling something, so I ask her what were these men doing ? She very casually said: They are selling earth shrimps and extracting them from the earth. Earth Shrimps ? I had never in my life had heard such a thing

I asked her to stop and we watched the men extracting them with huge metalic syringes. Very strange. The ones that live in the grass are green in colour. We bought some, as I wanted to see the difference in flavour between the normal ones and those. They were bigger than our shrimps. The front claws looked like a lobster's whilst the rest of the legs looked normal.

There is a place in Chile where you can see the stars for 160 days a year, the sky is so clear, all year round except for 5 days. Which has made it ideal for Great Britain and France, to build enormous telescopes to watch the stars. In this place, the moon looked so near, it felt just as though you could reach it by stretching your hands. The guide explained to me that this was because the air is not rarified like in the northern hemisphere where I live. So instead of just looking at what we called the plow. The plow turns out to be a tiny fraction of the sting of the enormous constellation of Scorpio !! And it really does look like a scorpion too, you can see the sting, the tail, the body and the legs in the sky. Then, we went inside an observatory, a round white building with a very large telescope, which kept rotating, as the earth rotates too. It was quite weird to think that the earth was rotating and yet, we cannot feel this rotation in our lives. I thought what a great vessel our planet is that even though we are rotating through the heavens, we cannot feel a thing ! Then we watched the butter-fly constellation and it really does look like butter-fly wings with antennas as well ! Then the guide explained to us, that some of these stars we were looking at, had died millions of years ago, but we could still see them because that is how long it takes the light to reach to our planet. Weird to know that when we gaze at the stars at night we are only looking at ghosts that once existed in the firmament.

There was a red star that had exploded thousands of years ago and its debris was heading towards our earth, the scientists didn't know when this debris was going to strike us, some of the pieces are 5 times larger than our earth and the collision could very well take 100 years.. or tomorrow, they simply were not sure, and when that happens it will be the end of our planet. That is why I always try to be happy and try to bring joy to others because is not worth having unnecesary petty squabbles when everything could very well end up tomorrow.
                There is no point in having petty squabbles when our earth is a paradise and it is our home.

-Maria

Comment

Hi Maria

Whenever someone mentions the Andes I think of Saint-Exupery battling to get his plane through the storm.

They say that if you're sailing round the Horn in bad weather, never look back, because if you saw that wall of water behind you, you'd go crazy.

I've never seen the Southern Cross. It would be an experience. I wouldn't worry about the earth being hit by a star fragment.

I think I heard somewhere that Chile's founding father was an Irishman called O'Higgins. Weird.

Robert

Comment

Robert:

About the Irish man, this very true. Peter and I saw a monument in Co. Sligo dedicated to him. O´higgins I think... a few of the Irish were fighting against the Spanish for Chile´s independence at the time.

Chile has a town which is mostly composed of German descendants, I´m trying to remember the name... where you could mistake it for a Swiss town. The reason for that, was because during the first and second World Wars, the Germans were in extreme poverty, and knowing this, the Chilean government offered the German goverment free land for all Germans who wanted to go to South America as settlers and for them to have a new life there. So there is a strong German blood presence in Chile. My friend´s father in law, is one of them and he made a fortune by founding a wood factory in Chile. The wood is still exported to Germany. So there are strong links between South America and Germany. In Chile there are very few indigenous tribes.

Whilst in Argentina, the Italians settled there in great numbers too. You can say quite safely that there is a very strong European presence in South America. If I can dig out my photos of these places in Chile, I will try to post them to you. I think amongst these photos, there is monument dedicated to of O´higgins.

Villa Rica I think is the name of the town, where the houses are made like log cabins, even the buildings. It has a very European feeling to it, I loved it.

-Maria

Comment

Robert:

Forgot to mention. About Saint Exupery. It was two years ago, when we heard that the mystery of his death has finally been solved. A diver found his plane in the sea, just outside Marseillais, the experts concluded, the way the plane went in, indicated that he deliveratedly ditched his airplane, in other words, he commited suicide. During the search, a ring was found in the body´s finger which had an unmistakable inscription of his name and that of his wife. And this confirmed without a shadow of a doubt, it was St. Exupery

It is quite extraordinary that a courageous fierce test pilot chose in the end to die ditching his plane. There were debates in France whether he was brave to do this or not. His wife was from El Salvador, and after he died she went to live there. I did have the pleasure to be introduced to her in a tea party in her honour.

-Maria

Comment

Hi Maria

Yes, I heard about Saint-Ex. I don't see him committing suicide, I must say. The thing is, he couldn't actually get out of his plane if he got in trouble - old injuries meant that he couldn't raise his arm high enough.

It must have been great meeting Consuelo. Her stomach was probably still churning from the loops and dives he put her through when he was courting her.

Re the Germans, they had a failed racial experiment in Paraguy, I remember.

Robert

Comment

Hi Robert:

The only thing I know about Paraguay is Alfredo Stroessner, who was a nazi sympathies. What failed racial experiment was that ? Was it something to do with Mengele ? I think he ends up dying in Argentina.

-Maria

Comment

Maria, I think it was started late nineteenth century and I've a feeling that Forster, the husband of Nietzsche's sister and a rabid anti-semite, was somehow involved. Nietzsche couldn't stand his brother-in-law.

I've an idea the experiment failed through inbreeding.

Robert

Comment

Robert and Maria:

Yes...it was Bernhard Forster,old Freddy's brother in law, who hated him with a passion. They did turn into a tribe of retards due to marrying too close....I think many moved to Philadelphia.

Nietzsche has always been classified as a progenitor of the Nazi ideology regarding race. Far from it.
                              To Join JTR Forums :
                              Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

Working...
                              X