Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Somerton Man, Australian Mystery

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    The remains of the mysterious Somerton Man will be exhumed by police in the hope that DNA samples could solve the case that has baffled detectives, researchers and amateur sleuths for more than seven decades.
    ...
    The Somerton Man is buried in Adelaide's West Terrace cemetery in a grave that refers to him simply as the "unknown man".
    After years of public discussion about digging up his remains, SA Police has now had an exhumation order approved by Attorney-General Vickie Chapman, who said the case had generated "intense public interest".
    "This man could be someone's father, brother or cousin, and those relatives and friends deserve answers," she said.
    "South Australia Police has since come to me with the funding and an application, and I have approved it.
    ...
    While a date for the exhumation has not yet been determined, Forensic Science SA director Linzi Wilson-Wilde said it would likely be in the "short term", and that the remains would be transferred to a laboratory for analysis. ...

    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-...lice/100092750

    Comment


    • #32
      It’s great the police are involved in the exhumation. Our top John Doe was exhumed by a production company and they never put the DNA up for familial DNA testing. I guess they wanted more views of the documentary so put it up only for direct one to one testing which never got a positive match, but does allow for continued crowd sourcing.

      Comment


      • #33
        One of, if not the top, US Jane Doe, appropriately called Eldorado, because that’s where she was murdered in 1991, turned out to be definitely illegitimate after doing familial DNA on the paternal and male line, as they did in the Somerton Man case, and with all the known daughters of the paternity suspects accounted for. So the search there continues, with everyone waiting on the maternal results.

        Comment


        • #34
          The BBC reports that the exhumation is under way:
          "On Wednesday, crews began digging at the gravesite.
          But local media outlet Nine News reported initial efforts were moving slower than expected due to dense clay and uncertainty as to whether the man had been buried in a coffin."

          https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-57166662

          Comment


          • #35
            Reporting of the exhumation was subject to some very lazy journalism here Chris. One TV news program twice referring. the SM as 'the body that washed up on the beach! Perhaps they might be under the erroneous impression that the fully clothed 'dry' corpse has been murdered elsewhere and dumped there? Never let the facts get in the way of a good Story, eh? As for the possibility of an empty coffin, well that's a novel twist and certainly a waste of tax payers money having the poor chap embalmed



            j have always been intrigued about why the body was preserved after autopsy and who might have sanctioned the decision.?
            Apologies for the typos ( edited). Cataracts short of fixed, new spectacles for computer needed urgently.

            Be nice to one another!
            Merv

            Comment


            • #36
              There’s an episode of History’s Greatest Mysteries on this case (hosted by Lawrence Fishburne) on Sky History - series 1 episode 4 - I have it recorded but haven’t watched it yet.
              Regards

              Michael🔎


              " When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable......is probably a little bit boring "

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by Michael Banks View Post
                There’s an episode of History’s Greatest Mysteries on this case (hosted by Lawrence Fishburne) on Sky History - series 1 episode 4 - I have it recorded but haven’t watched it yet.
                I'm very surprised that no information seems to have been released about the progress of testing. It's been more than a year since the exhumation.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by Chris Phillips View Post

                  I'm very surprised that no information seems to have been released about the progress of testing. It's been more than a year since the exhumation.
                  I just watched the documentary Chris and it’s certainly worth a watch. It’s an interesting case which I knew next to nothing about. I checked online for books on the case and only came across three.

                  A 2012 book by Kerry Greenwood which had mixed (to say the least) reviews.
                  A 2022 25 page book by Dr. Michael Hoffmann who claims to have decoded the letters. No reviews on this one.
                  A 2017 book by GM Feltus which has much better reviews but is currently on sale on Amazon for £592. AbeBooks have a copy for £1614! and a ‘cheap’ copy for a mere £224. So I’ll let you buy that one first Chris.



                  Regards

                  Michael🔎


                  " When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable......is probably a little bit boring "

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by Michael Banks View Post

                    I just watched the documentary Chris and it’s certainly worth a watch. It’s an interesting case which I knew next to nothing about. I checked online for books on the case and only came across three.

                    A 2012 book by Kerry Greenwood which had mixed (to say the least) reviews.
                    A 2022 25 page book by Dr. Michael Hoffmann who claims to have decoded the letters. No reviews on this one.
                    A 2017 book by GM Feltus which has much better reviews but is currently on sale on Amazon for £592. AbeBooks have a copy for £1614! and a ‘cheap’ copy for a mere £224. So I’ll let you buy that one first Chris.


                    I am pleased to say that I already have a copy!

                    I have just phoned the bank and arranged for it to be put into their safekeeping ...

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by Chris Phillips View Post

                      I am pleased to say that I already have a copy!

                      I have just phoned the bank and arranged for it to be put into their safekeeping ...
                      Let me know when you next go on holiday and leave the house unattended Chris.

                      Is it worth getting by the way (if I can find a copy that I don’t need to sell a kidney in order to afford?)
                      Regards

                      Michael🔎


                      " When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable......is probably a little bit boring "

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by Michael Banks View Post

                        Let me know when you next go on holiday and leave the house unattended Chris.

                        Is it worth getting by the way (if I can find a copy that I don’t need to sell a kidney in order to afford?)
                        I'm not an expert on the case, but this was recommended to me as the best book to read by John Ruffels, who does know a lot about it.It does seem very comprehensive.

                        Actually, my book is the 2010 edition, not the 2017 one. Looking at the author's website, it seems that in 2017 after two printings he decided not to print any more. It's a shame, particularly as there was also an ebook. Perhaps bootleg copies of that are available somewhere.
                        http://www.theunknownman.com/news.html

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by Chris Phillips View Post

                          I'm not an expert on the case, but this was recommended to me as the best book to read by John Ruffels, who does know a lot about it.It does seem very comprehensive.

                          Actually, my book is the 2010 edition, not the 2017 one. Looking at the author's website, it seems that in 2017 after two printings he decided not to print any more. It's a shame, particularly as there was also an ebook. Perhaps bootleg copies of that are available somewhere.
                          http://www.theunknownman.com/news.html
                          Maybe I’ll have some luck one day Chris. I’ll keep looking. It’s surprising that such an interesting case has only 2 full length books
                          Regards

                          Michael🔎


                          " When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable......is probably a little bit boring "

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X