Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *** Updates In Ripper Research March 2012***

Inspired by an idea of Debra Arif's

Debra and I, and probably some others as well, have noticed that a few recently published works, as well as revised editions of previously published works, have not included new finds and data that have appeared on JTRForums.

Some of the finds ( such as those found on a regular basis by Debs,Chris Scott, Mike Covell,Rob Clack..etc) would obviously compliment these recently published works.

So, if you can recall a find which falls into this category, please feel free to add it on to this thread. At some point, either Debs or I will put a list of these finds together and present it to Ripperologist Magazine.

A new caricature of Charles Le Grand...information about Hyam Hyams which corrected a previously published article to show he was in fear of the police and not by the police...information on Frederick Deeming...etc...

If you have any questions as to whether what you think might be a new find, but aren't sure...please contact either Debs or myself.

Thank you.
    To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

It might also be worthwhile to mention newly discovered finds found in books which haven't appeared on the boards before or in previously released books covering the same subject matter or aspect of the Case.

Thanks again.
    To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Originally posted by How Brown View Post
      Inspired by an idea of Debra Arif's

Debra and I, and probably some others as well, have noticed that a few recently published works, as well as revised editions of previously published works, have not included new finds and data that have appeared on JTRForums.

Some of the finds ( such as those found on a regular basis by Debs,Chris Scott, Mike Covell,Rob Clack..etc) would obviously compliment these recently published works.

So, if you can recall a find which falls into this category, please feel free to add it on to this thread. At some point, either Debs or I will put a list of these finds together and present it to Ripperologist Magazine.

A new caricature of Charles Le Grand...information about Hyam Hyams which corrected a previously published article to show he was in fear of the police and not by the police...information on Frederick Deeming...etc...

If you have any questions as to whether what you think might be a new find, but aren't sure...please contact either Debs or myself.

Thank you.
      Hi Howard

On behalf of the staff at Ripperologist, might I make an urgent plea though that authors first consider publishing their work with us rather than posting it here on this forum or Casebook or any other forum? As we often tell authors, your work can thereafter appear on a forum or be discussed on a forum, but it would please us if we had the privilege of publishing the work before it is seen by anyone else. Thanks for listening.

Best regards

Chris
      Christopher T. George, Lyricist & Co-Author, "Jack the Musical"
      https://www.facebook.com/JackTheMusical/ Hear sample song at https://tinyurl.com/y8h4envx.

Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conferences, April 2016 and 2018.
      Hear RipperCon 2016 & 2018 talks at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/.

Comment

Chris:

Speaking for myself, if I locate something, I'm putting it up on the boards.

If I had an article in mind, I'd submit it to The Rip or another periodical.

I wasn't referring to a researcher writing an article and posting it here ( which is their right should they choose ), but clippings, such as those Chris or Debs locate, or articles they find with new data and present them here...and in this case, on this thread, ones that have been found but are scattered all over the boards.
        To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Originally posted by How Brown View Post
          Chris:

Speaking for myself, if I locate something, I'm putting it up on the boards.

If I had an article in mind, I'd submit it to The Rip or another periodical.

I wasn't referring to a researcher writing an article and posting it here ( which is their right should they choose ), but clippings, such as those Chris or Debs locate, or articles they find with new data and present them here...and in this case, on this thread, ones that have been found but are scattered all over the boards.
          Hi How

Yes but I think researchers are getting into the habit of putting interesting information on certain people who are touched by the case here or on other forums rather than thinking of developing that research into an article to publish in a magazine. I'm just say that from our perspective, we wish that were not happening.

All the best

Chris
          Christopher T. George, Lyricist & Co-Author, "Jack the Musical"
          https://www.facebook.com/JackTheMusical/ Hear sample song at https://tinyurl.com/y8h4envx.

Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conferences, April 2016 and 2018.
          Hear RipperCon 2016 & 2018 talks at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/.

Comment

Not of any major significance, but I was pleased to find the book that Donston was referring to when he recalled a book published within the previous couple of years (1886 onward) that contained the ritual laid out by Eliphas Levi

I see Spiro mentions it in his new book, but I don't know if he came across the information independently

There should be quite a few Le Grand and Grainger references on this thread

I don't think we'll see any updated book from KT in which she might like to correctly place Ketley House where her suspect, Dr Parrish had a practice in Trysull Staffordshire instead of Telford Shropshire in case we get some Ripper tourists in the wrong place

Hang on, that gives me an idea....

Comment

Yes but I think researchers are getting into the habit of putting interesting information on certain people who are touched by the case here or on other forums rather than thinking of developing that research into an article to publish in a magazine.

CG...well, they certainly can do both,I think.

Nemo ( for example ) locates an article or two on a person of interest on the Internet and mentions them here.
              He could easily take those articles and then put together something for a magazine.
              At least I think so....
              To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

I'm happy to post new findings for people to make of what they will, as and when I find them

If I wrote an article it would consist of information in the public domain found by myself and others but with my personal slant on things, so I'm not inclined to keep new discoveries for a later publication

I don't mind others utilising any new information within their work as long as they at least give a nod to the person who discovered it - the least they could do is mention the boards if that is where they are copying it from

To publish such findings with no credit given to others implies that the writer has discovered it and so gives kudos where none is deserved

I'd like to write/see an in depth look at Grainger, but I think the subject would be better served if it was written by someone of more experience in research

I might get an article together regarding ritual murder and the WM - I'll wait till I receive and read Spiro's book

The article I have in mind would be longer than Spiro's book I think

Comment

Originally posted by Chris G. View Post
                  Hi How

Yes but I think researchers are getting into the habit of putting interesting information on certain people who are touched by the case here or on other forums rather than thinking of developing that research into an article to publish in a magazine. I'm just say that from our perspective, we wish that were not happening.

All the best

Chris
                  Chris, there are a few researchers who regularly post updates and new information to the boards, who haven't really got the inclination/time/enough information to write a full article for publication in a magazine.

I've been wondering for a while if there could be an alternative way of getting these snippets of information in print, after recently purchasing C. J. Morley's new suspect book it's apparent that because of the rate things are being found lately, sometimes new published works are already out of date and more recent information has been posted to the message boards.

Morley's free ebook available on casebook has always been something I use regularly when I am posting information on certain suspects and need a quick back story to add to the post. reading the updated version, recently released for purchase, it becomes obvious that research posted to the message boards is not always filtering through to authors.

As just one example, things like the statement used in publictions, and repeated in Morley's new book, that Hyam Hyams was the 'terror of the City of London Police' when recent research, posted to the boards, has shown that this interpretation of what appears in Hyams records, is erroneous.
                  ...no one could write a full scale article about that, surely? But yet it might be handy to future researchers/authors if that latest research was briefly listed and linked to in something like Ripperologist magazine?

With the recent Grainger research and new information, those new findings involved many researcher working together and although it would make a good article, none of the researchers involved in finding the information are known to regularly write articles...they post information to the boards, as and when they find it, that's how the new information on Grainger was built up. It would just be nice to have somewhere to show the results of that joint research, without anyone being under pressure to write it all up in article form.

Comment

Not a major find and I am sure some members of the forums will have read it but I came across a book recently and thought I would share.
                    The book, Chilling True Tales of Old London, is written by Keith Johnson, and published by Sigma Leisure, 1996. The book features numerous cases of murder, mutilation, and death in London and one chapter tackles Jack the Ripper. Many of the illustrations are from contemporary sources, although some are sketches by J. C. Fielding.

Of particular interest are the sketches of Bucks Row, Chapman, Stride, Eddowes, and what appears to be Mary Kelly.

Comment

I think that would be a good idea Deb

Howard has done it already in a sense with the "Note these new threads & posts" type of thing

It would only need to be a small "Stop Press" type of article at the end of Ripperologist relating any new information from the boards

Comment

Originally posted by Nemo View Post

It would only need to be a small "Stop Press" type of article at the end of Ripperologist relating any new information from the boards

That's exactly the type of thing How and myself had in mind, Nemo

Comment

Originally posted by Nemo
                          I'd like to write/see an in depth look at Grainger, but I think the subject would be better served if it was written by someone of more experience in research
                          I don't know about that, Nemo. Speaking as someone who didn't know much about Grainger, your posts on the subject when taken along with the contemporary press reports that Howard put up, made for some interesting reading, and I actually thought at the time that you might be the only guy with the sufficient amount of curiosity regarding Grainger to look at the information from all angles and think of things no one else might. If that is in fact the case, then it might actually be your responsibility to write that article, as strange as it sounds. Naturally, you should seek out or accept the help of more experienced researchers (you'd be crazy not to), but even as they might find the pieces, you could be the guy to put them together.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Thanks for the kind words Tom

I'll definitely consider it

I'd still like to find out why he was discharged from the militia and if he was married / widowed

I'll collate what was known previously and what has been found recently, by Deb and Chris in the main, and see what it looks like

I'm very surprised there hasn't been a previous in-depth Grainger article (has there?) as 1895 seemed a watershed for Ripper theories and I feel the arrest and investigation of Grainger lit the touchpaper so to speak

Comment

I'm very surprised there hasn't been a previous in-depth Grainger article (has there?)

Not to my knowledge, Neems.
                              To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Working...
                              X