X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gary Barnett
    replied
    Originally posted by Allison Smith View Post

Just confirming what I've read elsewhere - have we raised the money needed? What's the prognosis?
    It seems we have, thanks to Chris’s efforts. So we’ll probably be able to keep things ticking over for at least the next year or so.

Leave a comment:

• Allison Smith
    replied
    Originally posted by Chris Phillips View Post

Thanks for your comments. I think any suggestions for the best way forward are very welcome, and nothing should be ruled out in the longer term.

Obviously it will be best if the site can continue to be freely available as an active discussion forum. At the moment we're trying to raise the money needed for the main hosting renewal in November, which would allow us to carry on as we are now for another year, so that we can discuss and look into options for the future. Currently people have offered a total of 650 out of the 760 dollars that will be needed in November, so a few more donations would solve the short-term funding problem.
    Just confirming what I've read elsewhere - have we raised the money needed? What's the prognosis?

Leave a comment:

• Chris Phillips
    replied
    Originally posted by Amanda Lloyd View Post
    I've just seen this. It would be utterly devastating if this site was to be lost. So much has been put into by How, Nina, many researchers and members.
    Wouldn't charging members a small annual subscription keep the site going? I'm sure members would be only too pleased to support it. Nothing is free in this world, and if it is, someone is paying for it somewhere.
    Just a suggestion. Regards, Amanda
    Thanks for your comments. I think any suggestions for the best way forward are very welcome, and nothing should be ruled out in the longer term.

Obviously it will be best if the site can continue to be freely available as an active discussion forum. At the moment we're trying to raise the money needed for the main hosting renewal in November, which would allow us to carry on as we are now for another year, so that we can discuss and look into options for the future. Currently people have offered a total of 650 out of the 760 dollars that will be needed in November, so a few more donations would solve the short-term funding problem.

Leave a comment:

• Amanda Lloyd
    replied
    I've just seen this. It would be utterly devastating if this site was to be lost. So much has been put into by How, Nina, many researchers and members.
    Wouldn't charging members a small annual subscription keep the site going? I'm sure members would be only too pleased to support it. Nothing is free in this world, and if it is, someone is paying for it somewhere.
    Just a suggestion. Regards, Amanda

Leave a comment:

• Gary Barnett
    replied
    Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post
    Gary:

Not all of the attachments are in Photobucket. Not all of the attachments were placed by me.
    Some of the attachments ( in the last two years) are hosted by Imgur.
    If someone was going to take the site over and handle the Photobucket attachments, there'd be no need to worry about the Imgur-based photos because the account is free.
    Ah, thanks, How.

Leave a comment:

• Howard Brown
    replied
    Gary:

Not all of the attachments are in Photobucket. Not all of the attachments were placed by me.
    Some of the attachments ( in the last two years) are hosted by Imgur.
    If someone was going to take the site over and handle the Photobucket attachments, there'd be no need to worry about the Imgur-based photos because the account is free.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Banks
    replied
    I’m the worlds worst on technology and I know nothing about the circumstances that exist but as far as archives on here go couldn’t something happen like a kind of melding with Casebook? (JTR Casebook eg?)

Leave a comment:

• Gary Barnett
    replied
    Are all the images on the site on Photobucket?

The reason I ask is that looking at an image of mine that was posted twice - I see that one version has the Photobucket logo/watermark (whatever it’s called) the other doesn’t.

Leave a comment:

• J.W. Sage
    replied
    The reality is what this site needs is probably going to cost in the region of $750-$1k per annum.

In layman's terms you can have your own server with bells and whistles (this) or you can rent space on a shared server (not as many bells and whistles) and cut costs.

The thing is you get what you pay for. A dedicated server will not likely go down and has very good security and backups. So you pay for that.

A shared server is cheaper but expect problems. Loading speeds, DNS lookups, security issues etc, etc etc

Not only is it the money it is the time and resource for maintenance, query handling, membership processing - I would guess it is almost a part-time job.

Shame to see it go and I hope someone can save the day. Not been here long but the content quality is always high. Until I post.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Banks
    replied
    It will be a sad day for ripperology if this forum closes. You’ve made a massive and lasting contribution to the subject How. Whatever the future holds my best wishes and thanks to you and Nina.

Leave a comment:

• Phillip Walton
    replied
    There are some providers that are free to use if you are prepared to put up with the advertisers. Would members be prepared to put up with the ads if we moved to such a site?

Leave a comment:

• Adam Went
    replied
    As one of the original forums stalwarts How referenced earlier, I'm very saddened to read this news. I suppose in some ways it's a sign of the times and I personally haven't contributed as much recently as in the past or as I would've liked to have done. Still, after 16 years and thousands upon thousands of posts, it's a blow for sure.

I'd like to join the chorus and thank Howard for the monumental body of work he's put into the site over the journey, and also for being a friend outside of the forums as well. I do hope we'll all still be able to keep the discussions going somehow, be that on social media or wherever.

Nothing much left to say but just to enjoy the next few months!

Cheers,
    Adam.

Leave a comment:

• Dusty Miller
    replied
    As I said, I don't understand computery things, but if continuing Photobucket is helpful and it only costs $140, I could stretch to $50 and then it would only take a few people more to achieve our goal, or is it not that simple?

Leave a comment:

• Gary Barnett
    replied
    I have a horrible feeling that finding someone as competent and dedicated as Howard to run the site as a live Forum may prove impossible. It’s not just the technical aspect, it’s the sheer dogged determination How has displayed over the years to keep the thing running smoothly and prevent it descending into a bear pit. Just look at his post count - nearly 110k of them!

Apologies if that sounds defeatist, but it’s the way I feel at this moment. Is the alternative of creating an online archive of the posts - and the images which are often essential to the flow of the threads they appear on - at all feasible? It seems there are people who would be prepared to contribute to the costs of such a venture if they weren’t stratospheric.

Leave a comment:

• Dusty Miller
    replied
    I'm devastated!!!!

The thanks you owed are beyond the capacity mere words to you and Nina for all you've over the years.

I have absolutely no understanding of anything computer, but someone does do something I'm happy to donate some money towards it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X