Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edward Stow
    replied
    Although I don't visit the site much nowadays, it is an excellent resource and would be badly missed if it disappeared.
    I guess it is a thankless task.

Leave a comment:

• Howard Brown
    replied
    Richard:

I will send you a back up ....found your email.
    Do you have FileZilla ? That's how I access the control panel and extract backups to save or reinstall ( I save them and have never reinstalled a back up).

Or, just a thought, I could contact Bluehost to transfer the entire domain to one of yours.

Leave a comment:

• Howard Brown
    replied
    What in the holy hell! ???
    Howard, Have you been paying that type of fee all this time? $700+ per year?

No. we haven't been paying that sort of money for the last 16 years. It was probably around 500 dollars a year( with that fee in March). This year is the year that the increase to 786 came into effect.

Go back to the 13th post on this thread with the photo of a recent back-up.
    What sort of back ups can you manage on your server?

If you can manage this.....

1. Send me your email address in a private message
    2. I will back the site up and direct the latest backup to come to your email address.
    3. See if you can install the back up on your site

Thinking that VBulletin was a good deal, I've paid 525 dollars for the three versions we've used here since 2011.
    Live and learn.

Leave a comment:

• RichardH
    replied
    I use 4uhosting and annually I reckon it cost me about £200 for everything including domain renewals, hosting, server, databases, disk space, extra bandwidth and extra disk space because my usage is currently at 20 gbs ... everything. And that is for up to 20 websites too.

Notice that JTRforums is using VBulletin (at cost) which, with respect, is a pile of poo! - especially given that you have to buy it!
    There are dozens of open-source CMS, forums and BBS that are FAR superior and FREE!

DO NOT pay these prices.

Leave a comment:

• Chris Phillips
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardH View Post
    If so then you have been royally screwed!

I've been creating, running and maintaining websites for the last 25 years and I have NEVER paid that kind of amount for ANYTHING. Literally, my domain registrations and yearly renewals are hardly anything. We're talking 20 quid for renewals.
    I have a very long-running website that we started 20 years ago and is still going. The domain name cost about £5 (20 years ago) and the renewal this year will be £15.59 (using ukreg.com).
    My hosting charges are about £8 per month and I have an addon for extra bandwidth and server/database space because my main website has a huge database (on a par with this site).

Why are they charging 700 quid for renewal?
    That is utter extortion and should be investigated if true.

I can set up a new site, transfer your existing MySQL database and content and have it up and running in a few hours for literally a few quid. I wouldn't use vBulletin as this is very old and an appalling CMS system - I'd use a modern CMS that works across all devices (PC, Tablet, smartphone) and I wouldn't use THAT domain name IF it really does cost 700 quid to renew it!

If it does actually cost you 700 for renewal, I would tell them to sod off and I'd simply buy a new domain name and let everyone in your members list know the new domain name destination.

I'm truly shocked if a renewal costs that much.

You have my email address. If you need help or advice on moving the site, if you want me to do it for you, or if you want to continue but need help sorting it all out then PLEASE email me.

but please God don't pay 700 quid! And anyone considering taking the task from Howard and doing it themselves DON'T pay 700 quid!

It does seem to be what Bluehost charges for dedicated hosting:
    https://www.bluehost.com/hosting/dedicated

Leave a comment:

• RichardH
    replied
    If so then you have been royally screwed!

I've been creating, running and maintaining websites for the last 25 years and I have NEVER paid that kind of amount for ANYTHING. Literally, my domain registrations and yearly renewals are hardly anything. We're talking 20 quid for renewals.
    I have a very long-running website that we started 20 years ago and is still going. The domain name cost about £5 (20 years ago) and the renewal this year will be £15.59 (using ukreg.com).
    My hosting charges are about £8 per month and I have an addon for extra bandwidth and server/database space because my main website has a huge database (on a par with this site).

Why are they charging 700 quid for renewal?
    That is utter extortion and should be investigated if true.

I can set up a new site, transfer your existing MySQL database and content and have it up and running in a few hours for literally a few quid. I wouldn't use vBulletin as this is very old and an appalling CMS system - I'd use a modern CMS that works across all devices (PC, Tablet, smartphone) and I wouldn't use THAT domain name IF it really does cost 700 quid to renew it!

If it does actually cost you 700 for renewal, I would tell them to sod off and I'd simply buy a new domain name and let everyone in your members list know the new domain name destination.

I'm truly shocked if a renewal costs that much.

You have my email address. If you need help or advice on moving the site, if you want me to do it for you, or if you want to continue but need help sorting it all out then PLEASE email me.

but please God don't pay 700 quid! And anyone considering taking the task from Howard and doing it themselves DON'T pay 700 quid!

Leave a comment:

• Howard Brown
    replied
    Thanks Rob...

Leave a comment:

• Rob Clack
    replied
    This is sad to hear How, but I completely understand. Thank you for all the hard work you have done for the past 16 years.

Rob

Leave a comment:

• Howard Brown
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Howard Brown
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Howard Brown
    replied
    In a nutshell:

A. If people do come up with the necessary renewal fee ( 719 and change) by November 26th, designate someone to control the money ( Not me) and I'll handle the transfer ( the necessary information containing the new site manager's name and other information, such as email address and payment instructions, etc.) on my end. That person will then be responsible for the 'site guard' fee of 38 dollars in March, I will also redirect the PayPal 'Donation' button to the new manager's Pay Pal account.

2. IF people want the attachments to remain on the site through Photobucket, that would be 140 dollars. What I would do, if that amount is raised, is change my email address to whoever wants to take over the cache of attachments. I won't be able to change the Photobucket account name to a new one. I won't have access to the Photobucket account as soon as the new email address is established and a new owner takes over. The attachments will be all yours.

Leave a comment:

• Howard Brown
    replied
    To answer Paul's question:

The site backup, which I have taken every day since we were put into the VIP/Dedicated sector of Bluehost ( Excellent server, by the way) contains the entire site

Leave a comment:

• Howard Brown
    replied
    I'm not sad that I'm leaving the Forums at all....but I am sad for those people who've responded here on this thread as they are among a a solid core of researchers who have contributed something of value to the site over the nearly 2 decades ( Tim and I were on JTR Forums back in 2003 before the current site was established on Sept. 19, 2005) while the thousands of visitors and even many current members haven't...but still use the resource.

My decision to bolt isn't all about money. In a minor way, it is, because I cannot dictate to the host, the third party attachment company, the newspaper archives, etc. what they will charge next year.

If people DO form a group to keep it going, let me know by November...I will remove my name from the registration, address, and payment instructions to the NEW person who will, theoretically, handle it.

As you see, one fee comes in November and the other, I believe in March...totaling 758 dollars.

Leave a comment:

• Howard Brown
    replied
    This is yet another over-the-top price hike by one of our resources or off-boards needs.

The third party host, Photobucket, stuck me with a 61 percent increase on our account...one I've had for 17 years. There's 90,000 attachments on there.

Bluehost just leaped in to the stratosphere with a 30 percent increase. Even after diminishing the load of the site by 25 percent or more in terms of posts ( volume), we still got rocked
    with an increase.

Leave a comment:

• Howard Brown
    replied
    To answer the questions from Chris and Gary :

1. Turning the Forums in to an archive ( such as Crime Library in the Internet Archive), would require each page being archived.
    We can't let it sit 'as is' for free because it would require a host...which means money,

To illustrate what someone or some cadre of people will need to come up with, money wise, this is from a conversation I had with Bluehost 2 minutes ago :

Leave a comment:

Working...
X