JTR Forums - migration to cloud hosting, Monday 15 November

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JTR Forums - migration to cloud hosting, Monday 15 November

This is to let everybody know that the migration of the forums to the vBulletin cloud hosting service is planned for the morning of Monday 15 November.

In order to avoid the loss of any posts, the forums will have to be suspended before the files needed for the migration are generated. If everything goes according to plan, the forums will reappear (at the same web address) later in the day. They should then be operational again, though I can imagine some aspects, such as the appearance of the pages, may need to be tinkered with. A link to a page on another site will also be provided for news of the process, in case of unexpected delays.

Originally posted by Chris Phillips View Post
    This is to let everybody know that the migration of the forums to the vBulletin cloud hosting service is planned for the morning of Monday 15 November.

In order to avoid the loss of any posts, the forums will have to be suspended before the files needed for the migration are generated. If everything goes according to plan, the forums will reappear (at the same web address) later in the day. They should then be operational again, though I can imagine some aspects, such as the appearance of the pages, may need to be tinkered with. A link to a page on another site will also be provided for news of the process, in case of unexpected delays.
    Thanks for the heads up, Chris. I will be on the road that day, driving down from where I now live in Newark, Delaware, just south of Wilmington, to Baltimore. I wish you the best of luck with the migration.

Cheers

Chris
    Christopher T. George, Lyricist & Co-Author, "Jack the Musical"
    https://www.facebook.com/JackTheMusical/ Hear sample song at https://tinyurl.com/y8h4envx.

Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conferences, April 2016 and 2018.
    Hear RipperCon 2016 & 2018 talks at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/.

Comment

Thanks for the update but please clarify which timezone "morning of Monday 15 November" relates to so that we're all prepared whichever time zone we're in. Many thanks.
      Sue
      A geriatric amateur genealogist

Comment

Great work, Chris !
        To Join JTR Forums :
        Contact [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Susan Wright View Post
          Thanks for the update but please clarify which timezone "morning of Monday 15 November" relates to so that we're all prepared whichever time zone we're in. Many thanks.
          It relates to UK time. The forums will probably be suspended around 6-7am GMT, and the person who will be doing the work at vBulletin is in the UK. But they couldn't say how long it would take, so people shouldn't reckon on the site reappearing at any particular time. But unless something goes badly wrong it should be back some time on Monday.

Comment

Good luck with the migration on Monday, Chris. I hope it goes well.

Have a safe drive to Baltimore, Mr. George. When you get there, reward yourself at the Rusty Scupper with an Irish Coffee.

Comment

Good luck Chris and thanks for the heads up. Let’s hope the Tech Gremlins are still asleep in bed when this happens.
              Regards

MichaelšŸ”Ž

" When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable......is probably a little bit boring "

Comment

Thanks, Chris, for undertaking all this. It's very much appreciated and I look forward to a long and fruitful future for JTR Forums as it embarks on this new stage in its life.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul View Post
                  Thanks, Chris, for undertaking all this. It's very much appreciated and I look forward to a long and fruitful future for JTR Forums as it embarks on this new stage in its life.
                  Well said, Paul. And if I might add a bit of criticism, a bit less Carrie Brown and more concentration on the crimes of 1888 in the East End of London?
                  Christopher T. George, Lyricist & Co-Author, "Jack the Musical"
                  https://www.facebook.com/JackTheMusical/ Hear sample song at https://tinyurl.com/y8h4envx.

Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conferences, April 2016 and 2018.
                  Hear RipperCon 2016 & 2018 talks at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris G. View Post

Well said, Paul. And if I might add a bit of criticism, a bit less Carrie Brown and more concentration on the crimes of 1888 in the East End of London?
                    There's only two people discussing the case.
                    Just like a radio, if you don't like the channel, switch to another.

To Join JTR Forums :
                    Contact donston1888[email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Chris G. View Post

I think the best way would be to add more of what you're keen on, rather than subtracting anything.

Comment

The migration has been completed now.

HOWEVER, before getting here using the URL www.jtrforums.com I saw a security warning, which is obviously not satisfactory.

Please could anyone who saw a similar warning let us know on this thread?

Thank you.

Comment

HOWEVER, before getting here using the URL www.jtrforums.com I saw a security warning, which is obviously not satisfactory.

Thank you.
                          Sorry, I think that was happening because I had omitted to do something. Hopefully it won't be happening now.

Comment

Thank you.
                            Having advised that I saw the security warning via email, I'm pleased to say the security warning has now gone and I get the secure padlock alongside the web address so all seems good!
                            Sue
                            A geriatric amateur genealogist

Comment

Mission accomplished it seems Chris.

Very minor issue but I just added a smiley with the face tipping the hat which didnā€™t appear when I clicked post. I added it again on edit but it still disappeared after I clicked post.
                              Regards

MichaelšŸ”Ž

" When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable......is probably a little bit boring "

Comment

Working...
                              X