No announcement yet.

It's chili today, but hot tamale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Added a photo to the first post - finally - and some new verbiage.

Comment

Nice photo, Tim.
      Thanks..
      To Join JTR Forums :
      Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn
        I'll usually pep them up with a good helping of Naga or Trinidad Scorpion peppers
        Pretty impressive, Sam.

I see hot sauces made with Jolokia 'Ghost' peppers and Trinidad Scorpion peppers, but I have never tried them; you CAN have too much of a good thing. Why anyone wants/needs peppers hotter than a habanero, other than for bragging rights, is a mystery. We had used a scattering of red habanero peppers and jalapeņo peppers for booth decoration, and afterwards I liquefied the habaneros and froze them into ice cubes for future use. They looked like frozen watermelon cubes. I tried a bit of a leftover shard and it was throat-searing hot.

When I said 'liquefied', that meant seeds and all.

Comment

This guy on the left ate too much Yankee chili...undercooked meat, Eyetalian peppers when they shoulda been Mexican...not enough garlic...yecch !
          The fella on the right survived Texas chili and is all the better for it.

To Join JTR Forums :
          Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

blurr

Hello Tim. Yes, too many peppers CAN have an odd effect on one's vision. (See photograph below.)

Cheers.
            LC

Comment

Originally posted by admin tim View Post
              Why anyone wants/needs peppers hotter than a habanero, other for bragging rights, is a mystery.
              I got used to the heat of habaņero, Scots Bonnet, Birds' Eyes etc; I guess I built up a tolerance over time. Besides, as I said, I only use about half a teaspoonful of Naga/Scorpion chillies at most. To paraphrase WC Fields, I don't think I could eat a whole one!
              Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen"
              (F. Nietzsche)

Comment

I just realized I never posted the team/booth pictures. Oops.

I'll have to shrink them down to fit. Coming Soon.
                Attached Files

Comment

And here we are on October 10 of last year, in all of our first place glory.

The roaster oven contains the chili. The red and orange peppers on the table are habaneros, the green ones are jalapeņos. The hot sauces in front of the roaster oven are from my collection. The trophies all belong to Charles from his last cookoffs.

Comment

Hot time in the old town . . .

Hello Tim. I congratulate you.

Cheers.
                    LC

Comment

News on the chili front:

I am close to perfecting my latest competition recipe, this being for The Full Monty Chili.

Preliminary indications are that it is indeed a winner. It is a bit on the exotic side, containing beef heart and a smoked chili powder, plus a mix of other chili powders. Also a bit of a bother to make, but quick and simple chili recipes haven't won a cookoff for about 50 years now.

I also have a recipe for English Chili that looks pretty good and will post it for the benefit of those unfortunate brits who are otherwise stuck with curry.

Comment

good luck

Hello Tim. Good luck on this.

Am I to assume its name is derived from the fact that one eats a bit of it and immediately throws himself into the nearest river? (heh-heh)

Cheers.
                        LC

Comment

Working...
                        X