2011 Holiday in England

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011 Holiday in England

Crossposted from "The London Job" thread on the Casebook, just a few minutes ago...
    Lindsey & I will be in England from the morning of May 5th 'til our flight back to the US on the 18th. We'll arrive at Gatwick at an ungodly early hour on the 5th, & then buy train tickets for Cosham. We'll be in the Cosham/Gosport/Portsmouth area most of the time, but plan to go back to London at least for one day, and Bristol for at least one other.
    While in Bristol, I really need to try and meet up with the editor of my 2nd published short story, Gareth D. Jones.
    We're also planning to renew our wedding vows while we're across the pond. Perhaps in Glastonbury, perhaps nearby. Ali & Lee Bevan know exactly where. *I* just have to show up dressed respectably and follow the script, LOL!
    Looking forward to seeing Philip Hutchinson, Trevor Bond, Lee & Ali, Suzi & Anton again, plus as many others as we can arrange to meet along the way. Mind you, our budget is tight for this trip and we'll be at the mercy of public transport for every expedition out of Cosham. If a meet-up in London can be arranged, I'd love that. Aside from going on another of Philip's Ripper tours, I fully intend to visit the Sherlock Holmes Museum again, as well as every pub I can convince Lyn to enter along the way! (I may be used to walking 10 to 20 miles a day whilst at work, but my beloved is no longer habituated to such hikes.)
    PMs or e-mails welcome. Perhaps something can be worked out as to meet-ups. In any case, anyone who can find us in Cosham is more than welcome to raise a few pints at my sister-in-law's private pub in her back garden.
    Oh, progress is being made on my possible submission of a short story collection all of my own. A pro-writer friend is copy-editing a collection of my sci-fi stories for submission to her publisher. We shall see if they like it once she and I are finished polishing the manuscript.

Dan
    "Behold! I have become the Blue Screen of Death, Destroyer of Hard Drives! Look upon my works, ye mighty, and despair!"

Whoopee! Your holiday plans sound great, Vila. Hope things go well for you and Lyn. Take lots of photographs.

Chris
    Christopher T. George, Lyricist & Co-Author, "Jack the Musical"
    https://www.facebook.com/JackTheMusical/ Hear sample song at https://tinyurl.com/y8h4envx.

Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conferences, April 2016 and 2018.
    Hear RipperCon 2016 & 2018 talks at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/.

Comment

Hello Dan,

Would be great to meet you and Lyn, either when you're around the Bristol area or if you happen to be in London on the 14th as I might have a couple of hours to kill late afternoon.
      Jon

"It is far more comfortable to point a finger and declare someone a devil, than to call upon your imagination to try to understand their world."

http://www.jlrees.co.uk

Comment

13th will be a good time to come and take my Ghost Tour, Dan. I have some guaranteed attendees that night already, so it will be running. As for Ripper tours, I've not yet been given any regular ones for next month yet but I'm sure they will come in the next few days.

PHILIP
        Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd

Comment

If your journey takes you near Kent then you are welcome to a boat ride..

Theres even sleeping space on the boat but its basic...

(The electrics keep blowing the fuse so I'd have to have some notice to put it straight)

But you know your both welcome

Yours Jeff

Comment

How frustrating! (No, I don't mean that Howard is frustrating here.. just that our England schedule is out of sync with the schedules of others for meet-ups.)

Jon, we will be leaving Cosham for Bristol sometime mid-morning on the Friday 13th for our marriage blessing, which is scheduled for 3:00PM Saturday 14th at The Church of the Holy Cross, Wick. We'd both be absolutely thrilled if you and Holly could join us! The ceremony will be followed with tea and champers. Ali and Lee, and I think Trevor and Nicky will be there. But from your post, it sounds as though you'll be in London that day?? If not, as I said, we'd be thrilled and honoured if you and Holly could also be there! However, we'll be staying in Bristol with Ali and Lee until the 17th. We fly back to the US early on the 18th, and so will be spending our last night in England with a friend of Dan's who lives close to Gatwick and has kindly offered a bed for a quick nap, plus a car ride to the airport before dawn.

Philip, as you can see, we won't be able to do a ghost tour on the 13th -- but perhaps we can fit something in before we leave Hampshire???

The main purpose of this trip is to sort out my dad's estate, which has somehow become one bloody muddle. Although an official ceremony of blessing of our naughty elopement/Civil marriage five years ago is equally important to the both of us. An invitation to the latter is sincerely an open one to all our Ripper friends in the UK.

Jeff, unfortunately there's no way that I can foresee us making it to Kent, much as I wish we could, as you already know. Perhaps once my dad's estate has been seen to Dan and I will be able to just have a proper, relaxing holiday next year, so that we can take advantage of your kind offer of the boat while I do some genealogy research in Kent. It'll give you time to get those leaks seen to, anyway In all seriousness, though, Jeff, if there's another way that we can meet up -- Portsmouth isn't that far from you, and London's even closer.. Dan wants to spend a day in London again, but that would have to be between the 6th and the 13th.. or if you could make it to Bristol, either for our service of blessing or until we have to fly back...

Why are trips home always so difficult when it comes to fitting everything in?

Comment

14th I'm in London all day - have a course day for my MSc I'm about to start with the Open University.

I might be able to make it upto Bristol at some point that week - doubt Holly can make it as she'll be finishing off work in uni that week.

Shall work out my schedule and get back to you!
              Jon

"It is far more comfortable to point a finger and declare someone a devil, than to call upon your imagination to try to understand their world."

http://www.jlrees.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Lyn Resthal View Post
                How frustrating! (No, I don't mean that Howard is frustrating here.. just that our England schedule is out of sync with the schedules of others for meet-ups.)

Jon, we will be leaving Cosham for Bristol sometime mid-morning on the Friday 13th for our marriage blessing, which is scheduled for 3:00PM Saturday 14th at The Church of the Holy Cross, Wick. We'd both be absolutely thrilled if you and Holly could join us! The ceremony will be followed with tea and champers. Ali and Lee, and I think Trevor and Nicky will be there. But from your post, it sounds as though you'll be in London that day?? If not, as I said, we'd be thrilled and honoured if you and Holly could also be there! However, we'll be staying in Bristol with Ali and Lee until the 17th. We fly back to the US early on the 18th, and so will be spending our last night in England with a friend of Dan's who lives close to Gatwick and has kindly offered a bed for a quick nap, plus a car ride to the airport before dawn.

Philip, as you can see, we won't be able to do a ghost tour on the 13th -- but perhaps we can fit something in before we leave Hampshire???

The main purpose of this trip is to sort out my dad's estate, which has somehow become one bloody muddle. Although an official ceremony of blessing of our naughty elopement/Civil marriage five years ago is equally important to the both of us. An invitation to the latter is sincerely an open one to all our Ripper friends in the UK.

Jeff, unfortunately there's no way that I can foresee us making it to Kent, much as I wish we could, as you already know. Perhaps once my dad's estate has been seen to Dan and I will be able to just have a proper, relaxing holiday next year, so that we can take advantage of your kind offer of the boat while I do some genealogy research in Kent. It'll give you time to get those leaks seen to, anyway In all seriousness, though, Jeff, if there's another way that we can meet up -- Portsmouth isn't that far from you, and London's even closer.. Dan wants to spend a day in London again, but that would have to be between the 6th and the 13th.. or if you could make it to Bristol, either for our service of blessing or until we have to fly back...

Why are trips home always so difficult when it comes to fitting everything in?
                Portsmouth or London are the best possibilities. Let me know your ETA's for those dates....

Looks like the boat needs a new pump after saturdays outing, but still afloat this morning...

Trust you both have a safe flight and great time..jx

Comment

Jeff, I've emailed you dates and other details. I trust that the email address I have for you is the same as that in my contacts list.

Lyn x

Comment

And Roger and his lovely wife are coming, so Ripperology will be well represented x

Comment

Oh my goodness, Ali! How lovely is that!

Comment

We renewed our wedding vows yesterday in a little town called Wick. Beautiful ceremony in a lovely chapel that is situated in what amounts to a private park. I have some lovely photos to post when we return home. Some people have already posted a few on their Facebook pages.

Off to Glastonbury today for some sightseeing and a meet-up with a brother-in-law for some family business.

Dan
                        "Behold! I have become the Blue Screen of Death, Destroyer of Hard Drives! Look upon my works, ye mighty, and despair!"

Comment

Congratulations guys!

Comment

Vila:

Congrats to you and Lyn !

I caught the garter the last time....who caught 'er this time ?
                            To Join JTR Forums :
                            Contact [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Vila View Post
                              We renewed our wedding vows yesterday in a little town called Wick. Beautiful ceremony in a lovely chapel that is situated in what amounts to a private park. I have some lovely photos to post when we return home. Some people have already posted a few on their Facebook pages.

Off to Glastonbury today for some sightseeing and a meet-up with a brother-in-law for some family business.

Dan
                              Congratulations, Dan and Lyn!

Cheers

Chris
                              Christopher T. George, Lyricist & Co-Author, "Jack the Musical"
                              https://www.facebook.com/JackTheMusical/ Hear sample song at https://tinyurl.com/y8h4envx.

Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conferences, April 2016 and 2018.
                              Hear RipperCon 2016 & 2018 talks at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/.

Comment

Working...
                              X