• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy Memorial Day 2021

Hoping everyone has a great weekend....

Long may it wave.

To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Happy Memorial Day to the folks across the pond.

Comment

Monday's just plain old Spring Bank Holiday over here right pond...Happy Memorial Day!

Dave

Comment

Happy Memorial Day on Monday to everyone. We'll respectfully remember a number of great soldiers.

It's the official start of the hotdog season too. My local market is selling an 8-pack of Nathan dogs for $3.99

Comment

Getting into training for the hot dog eating contest on 4th July, Joe?

Comment

If you go here and scroll down, it's How's paradise - scrapple hot dogs...

https://donaskitchen.com/how-to-cook-scrapple/

Comment

I'm sure How will find Dona's page very useful. She even talks like How :

"Now that you have acknowledged yourself at least two recipes relevant to scrapple cooking."

Comment

I'm sure How will find Dona's page very useful. She even talks like How ...

She does, Bob...she does.
                Yet, I wouldn't have advised using this schmaltzy line as a sales gimmick to induce people to try scrapple :

You can taste your sandwich with a small slice of scrapple in the middle of your bread and then feel the richness of pork offal inside.

Even I wouldn't taste it, if offered. In the world of scrapple, she's what we call the 'enemy withinnard'
                To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Biblical scholarship point : it wasn't tasting an apple that brought about the Fall - it was tasting scrapple.

Comment

It was a lot more fun when I used to drink but you get the idea.

Happy holiday, everyone!

Chris

Christopher T. George, Lyricist & Co-Author, "Jack the Musical"
                    https://www.facebook.com/JackTheMusical/ Hear sample song at https://tinyurl.com/y8h4envx.

Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conferences, April 2016 and 2018.
                    Hear RipperCon 2016 & 2018 talks at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/.

Comment

same

Hello Howard. The same, I am sure.

Cheers.
                      LC

Comment

It was a lot more fun when I used to drink but you get the idea.

I hope you and your families had a fine holiday.

For Memorial Day here in Newark, Delaware, we had a barbeque on the back deck (now cleaned off!) which went well. That is, we cooked burgers and hotdogs outside then ate them indoors.

It was Donna's 70th birthday Friday and over the weekend we took her two local ethnic restaurants she wanted to try.

The first, Saturday evening, was a Brazilian restaurant in Newark itself. (To clarify, we live in a 30-year-old housing development, Harmony Hills, to the east of Newark several miles out of town.)

We found the restaurant to be overhyped and overpriced ($214 [168.87 UK pounds] before tip for the three of us!). I would have made a scene but I didn't want to spoil the evening for Donna, as you might appreciate.

The waiters brought us various cuts of meat on a metal spike to try. They did the slice then you pulled it off the spike with tongs.

That was supposed to be an exotic treat. It wasn't.

I found the meat either bloody, tough, or fatty, and the big room was as cold as hell because the air conditioning was blasting out, in spite of it being a cool evening and making a point of asking the maître de to turn it down while adding that it wasn't warm outside. Coffee didn't help either and they didn't have soup.

All round a disappointing experience.

I don't like having to "fight" to get a meal but would rather choose what I want off a menu (at the Brazilian place they had no printed menu, so you had to try to understand what they told you was on the menu) and then, when it was prepared, have it set in front of me so I can take my time with it. For the same reason I don't like how they serve crabs here in the Chesapeake and having the chore of trying to get the crabmeat out of the shell. That's bloody work, not the pleasure of a relaxing meal. Ugh. I know certain picky eaters who might well agree with me.

Our time Sunday evening was much more pleasant, at an unpretentious Filipino restaurant in the Possum Park Shopping Center a couple of miles from where we live. Oriental Chinese-like soup and meals at a much more reasonable price. The friendly and accommodating staff were an extra bonus. Couldn't have been nicer. We'll go back there while giving the Brazilians a wide berth!!!!!
                        Christopher T. George, Lyricist & Co-Author, "Jack the Musical"
                        https://www.facebook.com/JackTheMusical/ Hear sample song at https://tinyurl.com/y8h4envx.

Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conferences, April 2016 and 2018.
                        Hear RipperCon 2016 & 2018 talks at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/.

Comment

It was an honor to be there for this:

https://www.dpaa.mil/News-Stories/Ne...n-war-scott-b/

Best Wishes,
                          Cris Malone

Comment

I've been looking at the opening picture image on each Memorial Day thread in this section of the Jtrforums. I think the waving flag on Post One of this thread from 2019 is the best.

I have heard The Star-Spangled Banner played at many parks and events over the years. But I think the most impressive place to hear that music played is at Fort McHenry in Baltimore.

Enjoy the hotdogs and potato salad tomorrow everyone.

The funny thing about potato salad is that it can be eaten all year round, but somehow it tastes better while being served on a patio table in the spring or summer time.

Comment

The funny thing about potato salad is that it can be eaten all year round, but somehow it tastes better while being served on a patio table in the spring or summer time.

Ain't that the truth, Joe.

I'm ready to roll...leaving for the mountains early tomorrow...back on Friday or late Thursday.

Happy Memorial Day tomorrow, folks.
                              To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Working...
                              X