Clear All

• Power Outage

Around 12:30, we got nailed with a serious storm

No power here....and I'm stuck in the dark with you know who

Black cat crossed Nina's path today
    No kidding.
    To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact [email protected]

You mean they'll have to riot in the dark in Philly tonight?

We had a violent storm on Friday. Power out for awhile. Worst of the storm hit farther north so I had to check property there and as may be expected tornado level winds had ripped out a bunch more trees for me to deal with.
    The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

Comment

As if you don't already have enough going on over there!

Cheers,
      Adam.

Comment

It was out for 12 hours, Anna. We were at work and all of a sudden, out of the blue, bam ! 75 mile an hour winds. Lasted for 10 minutes.

Trees downing power lines, branches and all sorts of debris everywhere. It was like our version of Tornado Alley if only for a day. Everything's back up now.
        To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Meant to add the storm and the one that followed, which was like tits on a bull...not too bad and lasted 45 minutes....wasn't as bad as the damage caused by 'protestors' in downtown Philly.

Anyway, I wasn't kidding about the black cat. Early, around 5 AM as Nina left the house and made her way to the car, a black cat did cross her path. Then, as I was at the convenience store 5 minutes later, three large crows parked themselves 2 feet from the front of the car and started yapping...few seconds later, they flew off.
          Nina kept saying this was a bad omen ( I told her it was a bad omen whenever I get my butt out of bed). Sure enough, it was. I had to fabricate an order and made 5 mistakes on the same procedure....sort of like putting your shoes on and tying the laces incorrectly 5 times even though you've been tying your shoes for 60+ years. Bad day all around.

I do feel sorry for those who couldn't find an eatery. Most people around here use electricity to cook...(better,I think, than relying on gas) Around 4 PM, I made the decision to go find something to eat.

Only one spot about 4 miles away was open and found something. The storm knocked out a huge patch of our county except for this one little section. 50 feet away from the supermarket, they were blacked out...only this supermarket on Egypt Road was open. Couple of hundred people inside...me and the roasted chicken were out in 5 minutes.

There's a road that we take off of Egypt Road to get to Eagleville....a short winding road, Crawford Road, that has been shut down at least 10 times in the past 10 years for the same reason....a tree on the power lines. Even when there wasn't a storm , there's always a tree falling on this quarter mile strip of accursed asphalt.

One tree was completely uprooted ( should have taken a photo) and laying on top of the wires like a guy on a hammock. Unreal. They should cut all the old trees down, but the landholders must be resisting. I was worried that that was 'our tree', the cause of all our problems. Obviously, it wasn't.

This is that sumbitchin' tree :

To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post
            I do feel sorry for those who couldn't find an eatery. Most people around here use electricity to cook...(better,I think, than relying on gas) Around 4 PM, I made the decision to go find something to eat.
            Well I guess that makes our Raeburn in the kitchen (Waste of space and world's most expensive clothes drier most of the time) and old, but fully fitted and functioning, black lead range in the dining room, occasionally useful standbies!

Comment

Anyway, I wasn't kidding about the black cat. Early, around 5 AM as Nina left the house and made her way to the car, a black cat did cross her path. Then, as I was at the convenience store 5 minutes later, three large crows parked themselves 2 feet from the front of the car and started yapping...few seconds later, they flew off.

Blame Uranus, How.

Comment

Coggy:

Had an experience with gas in '79...
                Had a house in Philly which I shared with another dude. Lease in my name.
                Came back from a road trip. House reeking of gas. Careful not to flip the light switch.
                Called the gas company. They came out and fixed the problem...this was on a Sunday, too The pilot light on a gas range in our basement ( operable, but not used ) was out. Seems my pal had invited some of his biker friends to bring their bikes into the spacious basement to fine tune their machines. One of them apparently tried to light a cigarette off the range. When it didn't light, because the pilot was already out, he left it like that. This was at least 5 hours before I got back home.

I got fined for having flexible tubing on the range. Thumbs down on gas, brudda.
                To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Just got a call from my buddy at work. Yesterday, when we left, there was no problem with the electricity. A 5 second blackout. That's it.
                  Now, because of the previously described tits on a bull second storm, we're down at work. No power.
                  He also said that he's down and he lives 1 mile from here. Its strange how this storm operated. Yesterday, my friend had power. Now he doesn't and we do.

One consolation is that it isn't mid-July, when the humidity is thick. That's what happened in 2012. Real tough to breathe and no escape except to hop into a refrigerator....something my prodgiga....prodigitiou....prog....waistline prohibits.
                  To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

In a neighboring county, the wind reached 82 miles per hour....chicken feed for those in the MidWest....but in areas where buildings are closer together, pretty bad.

They call it a derecho.

Three people died and there's 500,000 without power in this and another county.
                    To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post
                      In a neighboring county, the wind reached 82 miles per hour....chicken feed for those in the MidWest....but in areas where buildings are closer together, pretty bad.

They call it a derecho.

Three people died and there's 500,000 without power in this and another county.
                      Expect a plague of locusts next.

Comment

Better locusts than those Japanese lantern flies...we can handle locusts, buddy.
                        To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Working...
                        X